Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:25 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,147,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things from these stores that are appropriate for any age group. AE jeans are great. But if you break out the graphic tees with a low scoop neck with "AMERICAN EAGLE 77" plastered all over them and get a pair of the colourful shorts, I'd be kind of scared.

Like someone else said, there's a wiiiiide range of things between looking frumpy and looking like you're trying too hard to be young. You can look youthful without charging into A&F and snatching up denim miniskirts and tube tops. There are comfortable articles of clothing that do not involve stretchy waistbands and sweatshirts.

Too bad it seems like figuring that out isn't easy for quite a few.
Like some previous posters stated...it should affect you none because that person isn't doing anything negative to you. I'm sure they know that some people are going to roll their eyes at them if they wear AE or Aberbrombie, but if they look good in it and are comfortable in it, who are we to judge? Just live and let live. Also, if we pay for it, we should be able to wear it if we like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
I agree with emi... It's not necessarily where you shop but what you choose. Nothing wrong with cute jeans from the jr. dept. if you can carry it off. But many of these looks that might be OK (in the appropriate setting) on a 25 y.o. border on trashy to begin with but is excused on a 20-something. On a 40-something, even if you still have the goods, it tends to look like you can't get over being in your 20's which always seems sad to me. 20's were fun, so were 30's and 40's all for different reasons. And you shouldn't embarrass your kids.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM

what if a woman has kids who like having a mom who dresses young and don't see it as embarrassing?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 AM

Again, dressing young is one thing. Dressing trashy is another. Some of these women just look like old tramps which are just more pathetic looking than young tramps.
ETA - the point is some women think they're dressing young when they are really just dressing trashy. I have a college age daughter -obviously, she dresses young - looks cute. I would have no problem dressing like her at my age. SOME women, in an effort to convince others that they are 20 something, go overboard and instead of dressing like a cute 20 something dress like a trampy 20something and it makes them look even worse. Obviously, this doesn't affect my life one way or another and I would never dream of saying anything. To each their own but opinions were asked and that's mine....

Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM

78,491 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Like some previous posters stated...it should affect you none because that person isn't doing anything negative to you. I'm sure they know that some people are going to roll their eyes at them if they wear AE or Aberbrombie, but if they look good in it and are comfortable in it, who are we to judge? Just live and let live. Also, if we pay for it, we should be able to wear it if we like it.
You are right. There is definitely no hard and fast rule and it's not linked to age. A fit 35yo wearing AE and looking fashionable might look great, appropriate and hot. An unfit 25yo. wearing the same exact outfit, muffin-topping out of it etc. and it could look inappropriate/tacky.

Heck, I turned 39 yesterday and some of my best outfits are Guess or beachwear type stuff. Unless I start back on my diet again after a vacation break...I'm going to have to put them away in a drawer.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are right. There is definitely no hard and fast rule and it's not linked to age. A fit 35yo wearing AE and looking fashionable might look great, appropriate and hot. An unfit 25yo. wearing the same exact outfit, muffin-topping out of it etc. and it could look inappropriate/tacky.

Heck, I turned 39 yesterday and some of my best outfits are Guess or beachwear type stuff. Unless I start back on my diet again after a vacation break...I'm going to have to put them away in a drawer.
to me, it's more about body type than age. so i agree with you.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,173,055 times
I must get you wrong then because I fail to see how you can and should be the judge and jury as to what is appropriate attire for every woman. Why can't you figure that out?
People should worry about their own looks and let every other woman worry about her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things from these stores that are appropriate for any age group. AE jeans are great. But if you break out the graphic tees with a low scoop neck with "AMERICAN EAGLE 77" plastered all over them and get a pair of the colourful shorts, I'd be kind of scared.

Like someone else said, there's a wiiiiide range of things between looking frumpy and looking like you're trying too hard to be young. You can look youthful without charging into A&F and snatching up denim miniskirts and tube tops. There are comfortable articles of clothing that do not involve stretchy waistbands and sweatshirts.

Too bad it seems like figuring that out isn't easy for quite a few.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,173,055 times
you contradict yourself. You say you wouldn't say anything,yet you did in your post.
I admit to not understanding you ladies who deem what the tramp dress code is. Why does anyone worry about how another owman dresses?? It boggles my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Again, dressing young is one thing. Dressing trashy is another. Some of these women just look like old tramps which are just more pathetic looking than young tramps.
ETA - the point is some women think they're dressing young when they are really just dressing trashy. I have a college age daughter -obviously, she dresses young - looks cute. I would have no problem dressing like her at my age. SOME women, in an effort to convince others that they are 20 something, go overboard and instead of dressing like a cute 20 something dress like a trampy 20something and it makes them look even worse. Obviously, this doesn't affect my life one way or another and I would never dream of saying anything. To each their own but opinions were asked and that's mine....

Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 AM

I don't think anyone is claiming to be the fashion police running around malls and hanging out in the dressing rooms at Forever 21 smacking people for trying on junior sized jeans. Give me a break. This is forum for opinions and I voiced mine. No one is contradicting anyone. Older women who try too hard to look young and make bad fashion choices look worse than young women making the same choices. Never anywhere said anything about once you're 40 you need to give up cute clothing and buy stretch pants and theme sweaters. Just use the wisdom you've hopefully gained over the years to realize there is a time and place for everything. Sitting in the carpool lane looking like you're on the way to your job at the strip club is more pathetic looking that going out to the bars in your 20s looking like you're on your way to your job at the strip club. Both are trashy but one is trashy and sad. Thats all.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,649,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Absolutely.

My thoughts on this matter is that certain outfits look bad and on some people they look even worse depending on any number of factors.

This can also apply to hairstyles and other things.

For example, if I ever decide to grow my hair long and do a comb-over I hope my friends perform an intervention and have me institutionalized.

Very true! I love the comb over comment! A guy used to come into my office that started his at the back of his head and it came over the top and did this funky "flip" at the front af his face! It was all you could do to keep from laughing! I am sure that I probably dress younger than my age, but not trashy (I am not busting out of my clothes in every direction)!. I feel and look younger than I am, so why not dress like I feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty