Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,390,509 times

Advertisements

Since we had the tanning thing I thought I would share.

Your teen's make-up should be looked at as well to see if
it is safe to use.
Teen Girls' Body Burden of Hormone-Altering Cosmetics Chemicals | Environmental Working Group

"In Alex (Washington DC): 12 hormone-altering cosmetics chemicals. "It's frightening to learn about the many different kinds of toxic chemicals that can be found in my body. At the same time I would much rather be knowledgeable about my body's chemical makeup than uninformed; in this case, ignorance is NOT bliss.""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 PM

562 posts, read 2,413,112 times
These are some really good points that I hadn't even thought of. As the mom of two teen daughters, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM

809 posts, read 2,895,663 times
The book "Gorgeously Green" actually details out all the horrible ingredients that are put into beauty products nowadays. It's really scary that these things marketed to us for "beauty" reasons are probably actually destroying our bodies

Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,591,082 times
Maybe I can blame my daughter acting like a big tard during her teen years on the makeup she used.

Seriously, this is a great thread topic that everyone who uses make up or knows someone who does....should read.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM

I know! Like one of the marketing ploys I really dislike as it started as a good thing...When companies say they dont test on animals....Well big woop...you dont have to. You dont have to test anything!

And thats pretty scary. Also that a lot of dark hair dye contains thing like lead...GRrrrr.

I know myself if I had a teen daughter I would absolutely ban anything that wasn't organic make-up wise etc until they were out on their own. It would make me to upset to know there could be issue, ignore it , and then watch her deal with any health consequences because of my choice.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:54 PM

809 posts, read 2,895,663 times
Here's a lil known fact from that gorgeously green book I mentioned above: A LOT of "beauty" products contain chemicals that have the word "paraben" in them..... like "methylparaben" or "isoparaben"....... and these chemicals mimic estrogen....... which is BAD... when you have TOO much estrogen your body goes haywire you could develop cancer.

I know there's other bad things associated with parabens, I just cant remember them all. Along with mentioning parabens, gorgeously green lists a whole BUNCH of other harmful chemicals that are in our everyday beauty products...... like "propylene glycol" which comes from the process that gasoline is made.... its a by-product of the process.... and this by-product goes into a lot of beauty products!

I def suggest that book..... it's got a LOT of useful info!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM

"Is it PABA free"

George from Seinfeld.

Men can/have developed breast tissue from using it..SO yeh..kinda ...no...FREAKIN really scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty