Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

Okay, just recently went shoe shopping again and this really annoyed me.

Ya know how shoe stores take out one shoe to put on display?
Did you ever notice it's always a six?

I HATE when there is only one box left that says size six, and when I pick up the box, it feels disappointingly light. Can't possibly be two shoes in there.
Open the box: one shoe. The other one is on display with a plastic thing and wads of paper stuffed in it to make it stand up.
If I really like the shoes, I'll try on the pair anyway. One looks and fits nicely. The other is stretched out so that my foot walks right out of it. Plus it has either a pen mark, dirt, or a weird dent, from being out on display.

First, why does the display shoe get so much abuse? And second and more importantly, why is it always the size 6??????
I even go to the big "designer warehouse" shoe stores, thinking they'd have at least 2-3 pairs of size 6. But without fail, there is one pair of size 6, and one of them is a display. I'm sick of walking around with one f-ed up foot!

Any other 6's out there notice this? Don't you hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default I can feel your "pain"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Okay, just recently went shoe shopping again and this really annoyed me.

Ya know how shoe stores take out one shoe to put on display?
Did you ever notice it's always a six?

I HATE when there is only one box left that says size six, and when I pick up the box, it feels disappointingly light. Can't possibly be two shoes in there.
Open the box: one shoe. The other one is on display with a plastic thing and wads of paper stuffed in it to make it stand up.
If I really like the shoes, I'll try on the pair anyway. One looks and fits nicely. The other is stretched out so that my foot walks right out of it. Plus it has either a pen mark, dirt, or a weird dent, from being out on display.

First, why does the display shoe get so much abuse? And second and more importantly, why is it always the size 6??????
I even go to the big "designer warehouse" shoe stores, thinking they'd have at least 2-3 pairs of size 6. But without fail, there is one pair of size 6, and one of them is a display. I'm sick of walking around with one f-ed up foot!

Any other 6's out there notice this? Don't you hate it?
I am a size 5 or 5.5. Think YOU have a problem? To answer your question, I was told decades ago that the smallest shoe size (now probably size 6) is always the sample shoe, which is used for display purposes because the stores get very little call for that size. The manufacturer ususally send one "sample" to the store. Yes, I know that stinks, but sometimes at a very high end store, you can get a very good buy with that display size. I found all this out because many years ago I even entertained the idea of becoming a shoe model because of my small feet.

I recently moved to South Florida from NY. I am finding it much easier to find small sizes, and petites, here. I suppose that is because of the Hispanic population who tend to be smaller in stature than the average woman. At any rate, do you know that a size 6 women's shoe is the equivalent to a girls size 4? I am a size 3 or 3.5 in a girls size. Unless I want to buy dress heels, many times I buy girls shoes. A Nike is a Nike. Besides, the girls sizes are CHEAPER.

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
They always put out the smallest size available. If you see a size 9 on display and you are size 8, then you are out of luck.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM

This is unfair to those of us with small feet!

I think the practice was started by the women with big feet (or the men who want to dress like women?) because they are jealous of our dainty little "hooves."

Wish they'd put the 10's out on display to get banged up!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
I don't wear size 6, but I used to own a shoe store and can add a little insight.

Firstly, it shouldn't always be the size 6 that's displayed, at least not in all stores. Stores display the smallest size they have because it looks the best. That cute size 6 isn't nearly as cute in size 10. Almost all styles are made down to size 5-1/2, most down to size 5.

However, fashion shoes are normally sold in case lots of 12 or 18, and they can be ordered with the smallest size a 5, 5-1/2, 6 or 6-1/2. The case will only have one of the smallest size. Usually if a case of 12 starts at size 6 it goes up to 10; if it starts at 5 or 5-1/2 it only goes up to size 9 with an extra pair of size 8 and 8-1/2 -- the most popular sizes. The larger cases come with a wider range of sizes and usually start at 5 or 5-1/2.

Shoes come from the factories with paper stuffed in the toes. At my store we removed the paper when we got the shipment, mostly to eliminate having wads of paper messing up the store front when they were tried on. That won't stretch them and neither will the plastic inserts.

We rotated which shoes were on display (left or right) so one wouldn't fade more than the other.

Most people's feet are slightly different in size, and my guess is that's your problem. A good store should be able to help you out with the fit, either by stretching one a little or by adding a thin insole or heel gripper to the other.

You should count your blessings... and look for shoes on sale. Fashion shoes are usually only out for 3-4 months before they're put on clearance racks, and you'll find lots of size 6s on the racks, because not many women are lucky enough to have such dainty tootsies.

Oh yeah, one other piece of usless trivia: Different nationalities and different parts of the country will find people with larger or smaller feet. I bought my store from a chain that had stores in a neighboring city. They got their shoes starting at size 5 and couldn't sell a size 10; I usually got sizes 6-10 and couldn't sell the 6s but never had enough 9s and 10s. If you shop in a different neighborhood you might find more stores that get the smaller sizes and leave your size 6s in the box.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am a size 5 or 5.5. Think YOU have a problem?
I once had a girlfriend who wore girls' size 2. She couldn't find a pair of ladies shoes (size 4) to fit. At age 40, she'd never worn a pair of ladies' dress shoes -- never found a pair. She normally wore tennis shoes, even though she worked as a mortgage lender and was supposed to dress the part.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I once had a girlfriend who wore girls' size 2. She couldn't find a pair of ladies shoes (size 4) to fit. At age 40, she'd never worn a pair of ladies' dress shoes -- never found a pair. She normally wore tennis shoes, even though she worked as a mortgage lender and was supposed to dress the part.
Did she fall over a lot?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
My wife has to buy her shoes from a specialty shoe store. The only brand that truly fits her is New Balance. Her feet are tiny in length and width and New Balance has a wide variety of widths and sizes. She use to have to settle for children's shoes which has little to no arch support. The shoe store she goes to sells orthopedic shoes. My podiatrist highly recommends New Balance. A specialty store will measure all parts of both your feet and help you with the sizing and ensuring a proper fit.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am a size 5 or 5.5. Think YOU have a problem? To answer your question, I was told decades ago that the smallest shoe size (now probably size 6) is always the sample shoe, which is used for display purposes because the stores get very little call for that size. The manufacturer ususally send one "sample" to the store. Yes, I know that stinks, but sometimes at a very high end store, you can get a very good buy with that display size. I found all this out because many years ago I even entertained the idea of becoming a shoe model because of my small feet.

I recently moved to South Florida from NY. I am finding it much easier to find small sizes, and petites, here. I suppose that is because of the Hispanic population who tend to be smaller in stature than the average woman. At any rate, do you know that a size 6 women's shoe is the equivalent to a girls size 4? I am a size 3 or 3.5 in a girls size. Unless I want to buy dress heels, many times I buy girls shoes. A Nike is a Nike. Besides, the girls sizes are CHEAPER.

Good luck.
LOL THIS I understand.......

Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Well, it's difficult to find 3-inch heels with pointy toes in little girls' shoes! And I don't think New Balance makes them!
But I did buy Converse all-stars in boy's size (I think 3 1/2 or 4?) One problem with buying kids' shoes for my feet though, is that they are usually too wide. Womens 5.5 or 6 are narrower and fit better. I really need a 5 1/2 most of the time, but since they never have them, I buy 6.

Wyonewk, thanks for the info on the shipment boxes. I know I'm at the bottom of the bell curve, but size 6 isn't so unusual that they should only get one pair. There are lots of us out there!

I know all about feet being slightly different, but that's not my problem. Whether they put the right or the left shoe on display, it's always the display one that's too loose. Your store took extra care, but most don't. They get quite banged up.

I always though 7-7.5 were the most popular sizes, but even if it's now 8 or 8.5, they should put the most common size on display, not the smallest. Especially if they one get in one or two pair of that size. If you get a lot of 8's they should be "sacrificed" to the display floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty