Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM

557 posts, read 2,612,225 times

Advertisements

Just wondering now many clothes the average woman has in her closet? Do you store off-season clothes in totes?
Seems I never have enough room for everything even after donating what I no longer wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
Not enough.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:21 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,817,958 times
We have four clothes closets in the house, I have some in all of them (plus there is a coat closet). I'm a coat freak, so I have lots of those. Out of season clothes I store in big plastic tubs.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
My dh and I lived in a motorhome and traveled for 3 1/2 years. It was a valuable lesson in downsizing. Now we live in a house with no closets. We opted for an armoire for each of us.

In my armoire I have about 10 pairs of jeans(my weight fluctuates about 10lbs all the time)
I have about 10 long sleeve shirts/sweaters
1 heavy coat
2 sweatshirts
two pairs of sneakers
two back up purses

I don't work so I don't have any dress clothes. I probably should get at least one dress outfit in case I need it.

My drawers have my summer clothes, underwear, etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
We have four clothes closets in the house, I have some in all of them (plus there is a coat closet). I'm a coat freak, so I have lots of those. Out of season clothes I store in big plastic tubs.
I like coats, too.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,970 times
i have too much clothes. if something hasn't been worn for a year, it goes to goodwill. that way i make room for new clothes. a lot of them have tags on . i am a sales freak. but when i do go out i seem to always wear the same thing. i think it's called mommy-brain

Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
i have too much clothes. if something hasn't been worn for a year, it goes to goodwill. that way i make room for new clothes. a lot of them have tags on . i am a sales freak. but when i do go out i seem to always wear the same thing. i think it's called mommy-brain
Then why on earth do you keep buying them? I'm sure you could use the money elsewhere. Remember a sale isn't a sale if you don't use it.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,496,466 times
Quite a bit...I'm a thrift-store junkie. Every change of season I go through my clothes and donate whatever I no longer want (or can fit into!) to Salvation Army. Then I end up going back to S.A. later and buying a bunch of NEW stuff!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM

37,648 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Just wondering now many clothes the average woman has in her closet? Do you store off-season clothes in totes?
Seems I never have enough room for everything even after donating what I no longer wear.

Too damn many. I have two closets in my bedroom, though really they are not huge...just barely big enough to walk in and shut the door - standard end-to-end clothing racks - one wall, and one closet is much smaller than the other. I have my shoes and most of my sleeveless summery tops in the small closet, and the rack really has plenty of room. I store all my ski accessories in there as well, so it's not all "clothes". The other closet is pretty full, but yes I have way too many things. I do throw stuff out occasionally, but my problem is when I go shopping, if I find something that looks great on, then I have a hard time NOT buying it...even if I don't need it. So my best bet is to just NOT go shopping!! Ha.

I love coats too. In our hall closet I have TWO Land's End Squall parkas - one is an extra-insulated one for super cold weather. I got a great deal on it - no...I did NOT need it - I've never worn it and it was a foolish purchase. I have a ski parka, 2 prs ski pants, a microfiber trench-style rain coat, a red leather coat that is too big that I have NO idea what to do with (bought it in NYC about 15 years ago and hate to throw it out!) a tan leather jacket, a couple of light jackets, a long black winter dress coat....but I wear them all (except for the LE one).

Don't get me started on shoes.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,875,542 times
Not enough and too much all at the same time...... if that is understandable......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty