Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,075 times

Advertisements

Has decided to downsize the size of their products and raise the prices....beware. I asked a friend to pick up a tube of the hand cream I use and used to pay about $ 8.00 for it. It is a 4 oz tube. She went into the store yesterday when she was off and said she got so mad she almost walked out. The 4 oz hand cream tube is now 2.5 ozs and costs $ 10.00. Her shower gel/body was has been changed to and the price raised. They were being clever in the store and put all the old stock into gift baskets and wrapped them...but she found her body wash in an open basket in the old packaging and price and bought it. She asked the sales staff and they were snotty with her about the size and said that's today's economy...whatever that means.

I checked their website and it has the smaller sizes now too...none of the old stock...so I will find another hand cream and she said the same about her shower gel....

BEWARE of this......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,391,872 times
I think this applies to many products, notice the size of the bottles,tubes, containers in many products. Water bottles, milk, lotions, shampoos, mouthwash, perfumes. Even the shape of the bottle, that little 'cinch', or 'hourglass' shape for 'easier handling' (yeah right, we're not oblivious!) around the middle actually takes away an ounce or even two. Ever notice that? Same price, less product. Grrrr!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Has decided to downsize the size of their products and raise the prices....beware. I asked a friend to pick up a tube of the hand cream I use and used to pay about $ 8.00 for it. It is a 4 oz tube. She went into the store yesterday when she was off and said she got so mad she almost walked out. The 4 oz hand cream tube is now 2.5 ozs and costs $ 10.00. Her shower gel/body was has been changed to and the price raised. They were being clever in the store and put all the old stock into gift baskets and wrapped them...but she found her body wash in an open basket in the old packaging and price and bought it. She asked the sales staff and they were snotty with her about the size and said that's today's economy...whatever that means.

I checked their website and it has the smaller sizes now too...none of the old stock...so I will find another hand cream and she said the same about her shower gel....

BEWARE of this......
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to get some things for my mother and fiancee there, but I guess not now.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:55 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,874 times
WOW, that's just not right. I love B&BW but I guess I will be cutting down my consumption. I noticed that they aren't having as many sales anymore either. I hope they at least keep the January $5 sale.

This weekend I bough a bottle of Philosophy's Senorita Margarita body wash because I ran out of my B&BW. I felt so bad buying it because it cost $15 but now I feel better because I actually got a good deal especially when you factor in that it was a 16oz bottle.

Bad move Bath and Body Works.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Hershey bars have been doing this for years. Many companies do. Even the classic cadbury egg has shrunken in size. I know thats food stuff..But same principle. Like coke faking "new coke" so no one noticed the change over to cheap corn syrup from sugar. Or the buy outs of shampoo companies by larger mother type companies that change the formula to cheaper components.

BBW always seemed overpriced to me for what you get in quantity and quality.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I don't have that propblem with Trader Joes.. And their stuff is all nautal too boot.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't have that propblem with Trader Joes.. And their stuff is all nautal too boot.
I was shocked the first time I went in one of those..Everything is so generous for the price. I hate that the one here is near a bad area. Not looking to get punched in the face for a deal..but yeh..they are awesome.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
I stopped shopping at B&BW after I discovered The Body Shop. I just bought a lot of my gifts online for 50% off, plus free shipping. I like the smell of their products better, and the ingredients feel better too.

Sounds like B&BW wants to go out of business soon if they are reaming their customers - other retailers are currently bending over backwards with deals to get you to leave your Christmas bucks in their stores.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:17 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,316 times
B&BW is so overpriced as it is - you think they would be lowering the price to keep customers - it is a luxury item - lets face it - people can go buy supermarket brands -

Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,215 times
When I was a teenager, I LIVED on Bath and Body Works. I had a different fragrance for every day of the week. Even after I got married, I had seven different smells in my shower (yep, one for every day) and matching body sprays and lotions. Country apple was my favorite...sigh. And Freesia.

Since then, I've become a mommy of three and money is tight. So rarely do I get to splurge on B&BW. I like the large sized 3 in 1 bottles (shampoo, shower gel, bubble bath in one) that come out each season. They are usually in seasonal smells like Gingerbread or Watermelon Freeze. And I love the Cherry Blossom frangrance. But yeah, they are so expensive now.

Back when I was buying a ton from them, they had three for eighteen all the time...(mix n match). Now they rarely even have 3 for 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty