Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 02:37 PM

672 posts, read 5,823,161 times

Advertisements

I have been a long-time eyebrow waxer, but at my last appointment I had an unfortunate incident and I never went back--this was 6 months ago. What happened was that for whatever reason, the wax took off a bit of under eyebrow skin with the wax. My eyebrow immediately reacted as if it was having a severe sunburn. I went to my dermatologist, who said it was just a mild burn and prescribed me some antiobiotic ointment. It looks fine--no scar--but after that incident I'm scared to get my eyebrows waxed again.

So I'm looking into threading, which I've never done. I have a few questions for those who have done it:

1) Can it work on the upper lip as well as the eyebrows?

2) Do you have more or less pain and redness than with waxing?

3) Does it grow back faster or slower than with waxing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:44 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I have been a long-time eyebrow waxer, but at my last appointment I had an unfortunate incident and I never went back--this was 6 months ago. What happened was that for whatever reason, the wax took off a bit of under eyebrow skin with the wax. My eyebrow immediately reacted as if it was having a severe sunburn. I went to my dermatologist, who said it was just a mild burn and prescribed me some antiobiotic ointment. It looks fine--no scar--but after that incident I'm scared to get my eyebrows waxed again.

So I'm looking into threading, which I've never done. I have a few questions for those who have done it:

1) Can it work on the upper lip as well as the eyebrows?

2) Do you have more or less pain and redness than with waxing?

3) Does it grow back faster or slower than with waxing?

Thanks!
The lady who does the threading at a place I go to in Austin is fantastic - she has been doing it for 23 years!

It doesn't really hurt at all as she keeps moving around, and it's just one hair at a time!

She does all facial hair, chin, lips, brows etc. Men and women

The redness goes down within 10-20 minutes, and hair grows back fairly slowly; I leave 3-4 weeks between eyebrow appointments.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times
Threading is far better than waxing, since it hurts less and looks better shaped/cleaner. It does not hurt that it costs less as well, but I would do it if it was much more.

Last week, I was at an upscale medical spa, and the French esthetician there looked at my brows and asked if I got them threaded. I replied yes, I have for a few years, and she said, wow, it looks so much better than the waxing we do here, I really want to learn how to do it!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 PM

672 posts, read 5,823,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Threading is far better than waxing, since it hurts less and looks better shaped/cleaner. It does not hurt that it costs less as well, but I would do it if it was much more.
Interesting. I wouldn't say that eyebrow waxing hurts for me--I'd say the plucking they do hurts more than the waxing.

Has anyone ever had a negative incident with threading? I'm scared of this because of the negative incident I had with waxing.

Do they treat the area with anything first? My waxer always put some lotions on before and after, but I'm not sure what they are.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Interesting. I wouldn't say that eyebrow waxing hurts for me--I'd say the plucking they do hurts more than the waxing.

Has anyone ever had a negative incident with threading? I'm scared of this because of the negative incident I had with waxing.

Do they treat the area with anything first? My waxer always put some lotions on before and after, but I'm not sure what they are.
Yes, they treat with lotion afterwards. But I doubt the incident you had with waxing was so much with the procedure as it has to do with an inexperienced waxer. I would say I get threading done twice a month for several years and have had no negative incidents thus far. (Knock on wood).

Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Since you've been maintaining your eyebrows, why not just tweeze as needed? It should be fairly easy, since you'll be able to see any new growth easily.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 31,891 times
hmm.. just a tip..when getting waxed, make sure your esthetician or whomever does your waxing, never makes the skin moist prior to applying wax!!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Try nair honey wax with fabric strips at home. You could even take it in to have a pro put it on you if you cant get the shape right. It is very gentle and does not need to be heated to high temps. Cant speak for the threading as I never tried it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty