Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:15 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times

Advertisements

lol
Im a wal-mart, TJMaxx, Goodwill, and Kohls girl, I guess. I likes the cheap stuff! LOL

Ms. Lisa

Thats wonderful that your husband retired so early! Hopefully someday I can do the same...but not counting on it right now...lol College student= ALWAYs broke...lol

Best of luck to ya'll though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I really don't understand what it is with ladies and shoes...or purses.
Some women I know will pay 500+ for just a PURSE...and Ive known people to spend 200$ on just a wallet.
Ive heard of people blowing their whole paychecks on shoes...WHY?! You only have 2 feet.
A friend of my mother's had 72 pairs of shoes when she died ( NOT kiddiing)
What gives?

We only have 2 feet, and can only carry 1 purse at a time without looking silly.

As for labels...I dont understand the obsession of some with labels. Take Coach for example. People pay mega-bucks for their things...yet their purses to me all look the same. Same goes with things like Guess Jeans...they're JEANS for pete's sake....same as any jean you'll find anywhere.

Why pay the high prices?
Sorry this is long...Im partly ranting, and on the other hand I really dont understand...
Well when it comes to jeans, they aren't all created equal. Walmart brand denim can't hold a candle to most of the premium jeans.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:51 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Knock off bags for cheap. Not replicas.

Trendy handbags, Popular Purses, Celebrity Styles & Wholesale Handbags at Baghaus.com

I don't like to spend on bags and shoes either.
"Knock Off" Bags ARE replicas.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think for some women it is for status. The name brand thing. Don't forget peer pressure. Society is geared towards badge-buying.
I hate these types of threads.

I buy expensive clothing because it is cut better, fits me well, and LASTS.

I do not mind paying $100++ for jeans (although I buy last seasons at the outlet), when they fit like a glove and last for years (I'm wearing a pair of seven's right now that I've had for almost 5).

I buy semi-expensive (not logo though) handbags, because a nice handbag makes an entire outfit look polished. I don't care for material that looks cheap, it runs the rest of the look. Same goes for shoes.

I buy a certain brand of designer for dresses and tops because again, they are cut great and fit me perfectly.

I buy a certain brand for pants - because they are the perfect blend of fit/cut/quality. I hate it when I buy black work pants that fade to an icky color.

I don't buy anything with logos splashed all over it (I think it's kind of tacky), but got sick of buying crappy clothing that wears out fast any doesn't fit right. I do it for myself, not to impress anyone else. I buy mostly last season at the outlets.

I have bought shoes at Nordstrom where the heel broke 2 months after I bought them (only worn 4 times). I took them back and they refunded me. You cannot beat their customer service as well.

Some people like electronics, some people like clothing, some people like sports, some people like jewelery etc.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times
As far as spending "HIGH PRICES" on shoes and purses/......
It's one of those "keeping up with the Jones's things.
Prententiousnesss is a very real disease and nothing a good thrift store or Goodwill shopping experience couldn't cure .

Most women like to dress up, which means being conscious of what looks better with what, hence the need for variety!

Quote:
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I really don't understand what it is with ladies and shoes...or purses.
Some women I know will pay 500+ for just a PURSE...and Ive known people to spend 200$ on just a wallet.
Ive heard of people blowing their whole paychecks on shoes...WHY?! You only have 2 feet.
A friend of my mother's had 72 pairs of shoes when she died ( NOT kiddiing)
What gives?

We only have 2 feet, and can only carry 1 purse at a time without looking silly.

As for labels...I dont understand the obsession of some with labels. Take Coach for example. People pay mega-bucks for their things...yet their purses to me all look the same. Same goes with things like Guess Jeans...they're JEANS for pete's sake....same as any jean you'll find anywhere.

Why pay the high prices?
Sorry this is long...Im partly ranting, and on the other hand I really dont understand...

Last edited by Bjones1976; 09-29-2008 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Why not?

Old 09-29-2008, 04:13 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Default knock off was apparently the wrong word

The bags on baghaus.com are INSPIRED by original designs. They do not carry any replicas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
"Knock Off" Bags ARE replicas.

Last edited by lemon&lime; 09-29-2008 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 05:02 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Quote:
Some women I know will pay 500+ for just a PURSE
I'm one of those women. I think it's just that it makes you feel good. I don't buy it unless I have the money. I don't go to great lengths and purchase crap on credit card that I can't afford but I do like to treat myself once or twice a year to something extravagent. It's no different than my husband spending $100 every month on comic books!

We all have our vices and bag labels are my thing. I'm not like one of those people who need to show it off outwardly, like the Coach "C" all over the handbag, but I actually like the more subtle styles. Plus, just about every purse I've ever bought I've gotten complimented on and that makes me feel really good inside. If you asked my husband, he'd tell you it was worth it b'c my self-esteem is not all that high!

In my defense though, I also own $10 purses ... and I've gotten compliments on those, too. I just have an eye for purses. It's my superhero powers.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
There is a lot to be said for taste and quality.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I learned my lesson a longgggggggg time ago.

I was a poor college student that worked at K-mart for extra $$. I had worn "k-mart" clothes and hand me downs most of my life so when I got some extra $$ I treated myself to some brand name jean. 25+ years ago $40.00 for a pair of jeans was very expensive.
I got them home, wore them 2x and the zipper broke. Took them back to the store, got another pair...zipper fell apart.
I took them back, got my $ back, went to the farm and fleet, bought 3 pairs of levi's that I wore for 6 years.
I get bored with purses and shoes, so I would never get my $500.00 worth out of them. I might go up to $30.00 sale price. My favorite purse was actually only $10.00. It's real leather and I bought it in Mexico 8 years ago.
So if you like a certain brand and it works for you more power to you.
I won't let my pocketbook be ruled by a brand name.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I have to confess I am a Coach junkie - but I love the smell and feel of fine leather and also the attention to detail that you just cannot get in a cheaper bag - BUT - I shop at the Coach outlet and wait for a 50% sale and then I only buy one or two bags every couple of years - so I let myself have my little indulgence!
The women who hardly spend anything on their clothes and accesories are the smart ones that have money in the bank - I will probably be eating cat food when I get old - save your money girls~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty