Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,510,614 times

Advertisements

She sounds just like my 86 yr old Mom - I am 45 and she is just like Tony Soprano's Mom - she is negative about everything! She drives me nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
I just don't understand why a 50 year old is seeking approval from her mother on clothes...

Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM

496 posts, read 1,252,036 times
just ignore her. say yes you're right and move on. if you have doubts about the outfit go ask the best person for their opinion...yourself. stand in front of the mirror and judge. does the top look like a pj? if not, smile. then ask yourself, does this color match my peach colored pants? yes? then leave the mirror and don't think twice.
ps. most likely she doesn't realize she's doing that. i never ask anyone for their opinion. what matters is how i like the way i am dressed. 99.9 per cent of the time i love it.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM

60 posts, read 280,244 times
I don't know why you would ask someone in their 80's what they think of your outfit, forget that she's your mom. I love my mom dearly, and she'll even try and buy me clothes. I asked her to please stop spending your money on me like that....cause I don't like anything you pick out. Instead keep the money and buy something for yourself. And if you really want to get me something then give me money and I'll buy what I want. But I've yet to ask her what she thinks cause we clearly do not have the same taste...which is my point.

Have you ever watched the show, "What not to wear."? That's a fab show, I love it and watch it often. I also subscribe to InStyle magazine. I may not do or use all of their advise and trends. But at least I feel like I've got some sense of style that's appropriate for me. At least it makes me feel better anyways!! haha

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
you mean your mom cares how you look. wow. mine used to buy my clothes at a closeout store and i would wear flaming green pants and huge white shoes to school. went over great in texas.
(lots of fighting)
my solution was to head out on my own. its a long way to china pack extra underwear and socks.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,720,501 times
My mom's 72 and I am 55 and she bores me to tears talking about this thing she bought or that pair of shoes, etc. She is constantly on and on about clothes and you know what? We both are too old and wrinkly to look "great" in anything, and what a waste of energy. It's just a way of getting attention and when I get too bored I just leave. She has a brain but she doesn't use it.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,353,229 times
I'm a jeans and tshirt gal almost 50 and my mom almost 70 will not leave the house unless she's got on makeup, hose, nice slacks and top or a dress. She's coming up for a visit in a couple of weeks and I told her she doesn't need to dress that way while she's here. (I live in the mountains)
Yep my mom is the same way as your mom. I just go along with it and remind her that we have different tastes.
I don't mean to sound crude to you but why are you wearing peach slacks and a beige blouse? That sounds so boring for someone in there 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty