Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,733,812 times

Advertisements

"She couldn't sit, she couldn't lay, she couldn't put clothes on. So I had to take her to the emergency room in a sheet."

Breitbart.tv » Teen Hospitalized for Four Days With Severe Burns From Tanning Salon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,203,233 times
Not to sound too brutal, but... She went against recommendations by the tanning professionals. She signed a waiver releasing the tanning salon of all liability. She chose to be stupid and got hurt.

Lesson learned, I hope.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:35 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,531,914 times
Is she stupid? Everyone knows that tanning salons are very dangerous for your skin and will just cause wrinkles and cancer. Are people still dumb enough to go to them?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,672,938 times
I don't completely agree with them being bad for you. I think everything in moderation. Obviously if you sit in the sun all day long or you go to the tanning booth everyday, you are going to see damage to your skin.
I do think their are benefits to tanning as well. I think it can be helpful in VERY low doses for those who suffer from seaonal depression. I think that it's nice to have that option in the wintertime - the heat really gets into your bones and makes you feel good.
I don't condone doing it all the time, just little bits here and there. I have tanned in the past but even with me, I do the lowest wattage and only a day or two here and there.
I'm a former sun worshipper (hard not to when growing up in FL) but I learned a long time ago the damage that the sun can cause.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,548,675 times
That is about the dumbest new story I have ever seen. The poster above is right, she went against the tanning salon's recommendations. I don't tan anymore but I used to. You really have to use some common sense and know that you can't jump in a tanning bed with pale skin for 20 minutes without getting your a** burned off.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM

27,434 posts, read 27,471,461 times
She was warned. She wanted more. She knew the results. Now she wants sympathy? Whats wrong with this picture.....
Some people also have more sensitive skin than others. Ive spent 30 minutes in one of those booths and had no problems, but 30 minutes was the maximum time allowed for anyone.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:50 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,877,992 times
This is ridiculous! I feel no sympathy for her at all. She knew better and did it any way. Ever heard of personal responsibility????

Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,042,958 times
And how about a little self control? Instant gratification doesn't come in volume and still end up happily ever after.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 AM

329 posts, read 1,278,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
I don't completely agree with them being bad for you. I think everything in moderation. Obviously if you sit in the sun all day long or you go to the tanning booth everyday, you are going to see damage to your skin.
I do think their are benefits to tanning as well. I think it can be helpful in VERY low doses for those who suffer from seaonal depression. I think that it's nice to have that option in the wintertime - the heat really gets into your bones and makes you feel good.
I don't condone doing it all the time, just little bits here and there. I have tanned in the past but even with me, I do the lowest wattage and only a day or two here and there.
I'm a former sun worshipper (hard not to when growing up in FL) but I learned a long time ago the damage that the sun can cause.
I learned this the hard way. Any tanning is bad for your skin (except of course self tanning lotion). When the skin changes color, even to tan, it is an indication of skin damage. I spent a lot of time in the sun as a kid and young adult and this included tanning beds. I am now battling melanoma.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,359,481 times
Why on earth would you go to the media with this??? She was warned, she signed the waiver, the beds were in working order. I'm sad she's in pain...but that's the way it goes. Responsibility, it's a tough nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty