Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 09:36 AM

4,603 posts, read 2,736,246 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind there's skin tight, snug fitting, comfortably roomy, and baggy. They're not all the same thing.

Personally I abhor tight fitting clothes. They are uncomfortable and they accentuate parts of my shape that I'd just as soon keep out of view. I don't like BAGGY clothing, but I do require "comfortably roomy"., For me that means pleated pants, most of the time. 50 years of hard cycling plus a lifetime of robustly enjoying my food and drink have left me - not obese by any means - but a bit padded and with thighs like tree trunks. Skinny jeans aren't going to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 11:07 AM

527 posts, read 250,090 times
It has certainly made clothes shopping with my teenage daughter more pleasant, lol. No more vetoing skintight pants and telling how, in the days of yore we used to tie a sweatshirt around our waists when we wore leggings.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:06 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,292,171 times
Everyone has their thing. I guess it's generational. I personally (36m) don't understand the baggy look. It's weird because a lot of 20 year olds are dressing like how my generation (millennial) dressed in middle school. Except they are doing it as young adults LOL. It looks unkept and a bit immature.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:24 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,050,028 times
What I've noticed a lot lately that I think is weird is young women wearing loose-fitting "suits" to work--wide leg pants, unstructured, open blazers, but underneath they wear a crop top with their belly skin showing. Like "I'm pretending to dress businesslike with a slutty twist."

Yes, I realize this is probably just me being an old woman who grew up in an industry where we dressed conservatively in business attire.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:26 AM

9,496 posts, read 5,277,796 times
Well, with baggy clothes, you don't have to suck in your gut.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:33 AM

17,444 posts, read 16,615,018 times
It's funny how these fashion trends can come and go without me participating at all in them.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:34 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's funny how these fashion trends can come and go without me participating at all in them.
Hahaha, same here.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:47 AM

9,496 posts, read 5,277,796 times
I do like a wide legged pant though, like palazzos, which I think went out of style like 100 yrs ago But I don't think those qualify as 'baggy.' I like them with a fitted top.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:51 AM

50,410 posts, read 64,161,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What I've noticed a lot lately that I think is weird is young women wearing loose-fitting "suits" to work--wide leg pants, unstructured, open blazers, but underneath they wear a crop top with their belly skin showing. Like "I'm pretending to dress businesslike with a slutty twist."

Yes, I realize this is probably just me being an old woman who grew up in an industry where we dressed conservatively in business attire.
On TV, it seems like the female detectives and lawyers wear suits, but their cleavage is always hanging out. I seriously doubt if professional women do that in real life.

I’ve always liked the style of pants like Katherine Hepburn wore in the 1940s. To me they are classic.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:05 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,927,494 times
Baggy clothes started becoming chic among younger people actually in 2020, especially noticeable in NYC and LA. The pandemic put a weird delay on this kind of spreading. But the last couple years it has become ubiquitous in many big cities. This has been very Gen Z popular for a good 2 years in Dallas for example.

I'm going to refer back to this post in December 2022

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fash...ack-style.html

And then follow up by re-posting by comment in that thread which is over 2 years old at this point:

"While baggy clothes are not my thing, yes they are back if you're talking trendy clothing, largely aimed at teens and 20 somethings. Baggier clothes, specifically referencing 90s styles (jncos, oversized shirts, chunk sneakers, etc.) had already ramped up to a pretty big push at trendy fast-fashion retailers like Urban Outfitters, H&M, ASOS, etc. But it was also available at higher end clothing companies as well. I had kind of expected it to really blow up in 2020, but the pandemic really impacted that heavily as it nearly eliminated the need for social fashion.

What we're seeing now (since about late 2021) has been kind of the second wave push behind that original momentum."

I'm also very surprised that the OP doesnt see anyone wearing baggy clothes in LA. I'm out there a couple times a year and it's all over.

Last edited by Sunbather; 04-02-2024 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty