Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 01:23 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I have them too!
Join the Bingo wings club....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 10:02 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Tell me about it. Just bought a pair of swim shorts on Amazon. The app usually tells me which size will fit best but
I don't always trust it.

Even with a good sizing chart things don't always add up when you start calculating. Odd ratios sometimes. I think it must be coming from clothing made in Asia where people are smaller.

Just got the shorts in the mail. They should have fit according to the chart but they don't. The cute part is they're free return but to reorder the price went up. Can't win.

I don't care what size they're labeled. Just want a good fit and some predictability.

Old 10-19-2023, 10:22 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I don't care what size they're labeled. Just want a good fit and some predictability.
Every brand sizes differently and sometimes inconsistently within their own line.

This year I've had to alter shorts and slacks to take them in at the hip and sometimes further down the leg, depending. The designers assume wider hips on women, but mine are more narrow.

Some knit leggings/slacks I got from Lands End had hips on them that reminded me of jodhpurs. I had to remove at least 2 inches off each side. Otherwise, they look great!

Old 10-22-2023, 03:54 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
They will have to find a solution to that problem. Since most people now order online without the comfort of trying them first - there are billion of dollars lost in returns, not to mention that most returns now are sold for pennies to discount resale or end on landfills.

The number of returns in U.S. retailers accounted for about $816 billion in lost sales in 2022.

Retailers are going to cover the losses - either by rising prices or lowering quality. Or just simply curbing the returns. Some already started to charge for shipping and restocking, or limit the numbers of returns per customer.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/busin...ors/index.html

How retailers’ return policies are changing, according to experts:

https://www.today.com/shop/retailers...licy-rcna90615 <<< scroll down to see the changes in returning policies at selected stores.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:16 PM

One solution is a virtual fitting room or using one of the apps that creates a 3D diagram of the body.

Me360 is a popular app (free) that is quite useful for tracking changes in the body as well as measurements.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:30 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I don't think men's clothes have changed in terms of sizing, so I titled this for women's clothes only.

No secret that over the last couple of decades women's clothing has been morphing when it comes to sizing. What started exclusively in couture and high-end fashion has trickled down to all consumer segments -- that is vanity sizing.

In college, I was a size 10 petite, medium in a T-shirt. Average BMI category for my height. Neither thin nor heavy. Size 8 / 10 equivalent today is like a size 4 or 6, depending on brand. I tried on a pair of jeans yesterday and they were size 4. Not tight anywhere, plenty of room. Wut?

I started laughing when I tried those jeans on because vanity sizing is kind of ridiculous when one has the perspective of traditional measurements and sizing. It certainly increases sales of clothing when women can feel thin based on these morphed sizes. In my head I immediately translated that "4" to the size it would have been before vanity sizing... probably more like a size "8."

BTW, I didn't purchase those jeans since I know they'll go on sale at some point and be 50% or more off the full retail price. I'm still chuckling over the sizing though.

I find it's best to go by actual measurements. As someone who sews (or used to often), measurements are everything.
Last couple of decades? It seems to have been going on since at least the 1950s.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Last couple of decades? It seems to have been going on since at least the 1950s.
My point of view is from the early 1980s and the size I was in college. So, 40 years ago, (4 decades) is my perspective. I saw the sizing change in high-end clothing over the years, but now it's everywhere and it really stood out to me recently.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:18 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Tell me about it. Just bought a pair of swim shorts on Amazon. The app usually tells me which size will fit best but
I don't always trust it.

Even with a good sizing chart things don't always add up when you start calculating. Odd ratios sometimes. I think it must be coming from clothing made in Asia where people are smaller.

Just got the shorts in the mail. They should have fit according to the chart but they don't. The cute part is they're free return but to reorder the price went up. Can't win.

Most of the time clothing made in Asia fits me much better and I think it's because Asian women are smaller.
The small is really a small and the bottoms don't have an extra yard of "hip".

I do read the comments and look at the pictures customers post about sizing and fit.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:25 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
1950's to today have seen women's waist size grow 6 inches.
There was no 0, 00, or 000 sizing.

https://time.com/3532014/women-clothing-sizes-history/
In 1958, for example, a size 8 corresponded with a bust of 31 inches, a waist of 23.5 inches and a hip girth of 32.5 inches. In ASTM’s 2008 standards, a size 8 had increased by five to six inches in each of those three measurements, becoming the rough equivalent of a size 14 or 16 in 1958

Old 10-25-2023, 08:45 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Join the Bingo wings club....
No matter how time I spend working out at the gym, I also have them. In my case, part of the problem is I lost 30 pounds and your skin doesn't bounce back as well when you're "mature".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty