Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 09:54 AM

652 posts, read 520,982 times

Advertisements

You are supposed to reapply sunscreen every 2 hrs but I who finds time to do that? I'm in the NYC/NJ area and I actually don't know anyone who wears sunscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 03:02 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Depends on what I'm doing and where I am. I am fair and burn like toast so I use sunscreen if I'm going to be out in the sun for a significant length of time. I don't use sunscreen if all I'm doing is short duration expeditions into the outdoors (errands, strolling from one building to another, eating simple lunch on a restaurant patio type stuff), or in heavy overcast/rain. Definitely use it if I'll be on the water, snow, or in bright haze conditions for more than an hour.

Generally, I don't like leaving a lot of unnecessary goop on my skin. I don't wear makeup or apply any of the various anti-aging potions other than some basic moisturizer from the local drug store. I only apply sunscreen to vulnerable exposed skin when the weather's cold enough to wear a lot of clothing.

If I am physically active (which means I'm perspiring) I apply it more often than I do if just sitting, driving, etc. Don't think I've ever applied it every 2 hours. Sounds obsessive. So far, I must be doing something right. No skin cancers or precursors and people are often surprised when they learn my real age. Probably helped that my mother coated her 3 little white-blonde kids with sunscreen if they were going to be out in the sun very long. It wasn't common back in those days. We learned about burns early. Only one of us deliberately tried to tan.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-08-2023 at 04:13 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 03:48 PM

587 posts, read 320,980 times
I do, use a chemical one that lasts longer than 2 hrs. Absorb in 20 min and use translucent powder over it. Mineral sunscreens needs to be reapplied every 2 hrs.

Old 04-09-2023, 03:35 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
I only use it if I'm at the beach or pool. I usually apply it once when I get there and then reapply it after being in the water. I use SPF 50 which I will give you protection for a longer period of time.

Old 04-09-2023, 05:54 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times
I only use it at the beach and I will reapply it throughout the day, but I don't use a very high SPF. I never use it anywhere else and I'm outside in the sun quite a bit walking, working in the yard and swimming in the pool.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:32 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Moisturizer SPF15. I put it on once in the morning, and that is it for the day....even if I go to the pool. My face never burns, or even gets red. I do wear a hat at the pool though.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:54 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Only if going to be in the sun for a while. I use CeraVe tinted sunscreen for my face in the shade of my regular makeup and apply sunscreen to exposed parts. If at the beach, I might reapply if staying longer than a couple of hours. Regular daily use of sunscreen probably depends on if you have melanoma in the family or have had it yourself. Then prescription sunscreen is in order as well as covering up. For general use the best sunscreen tested in the past has surprisingly been No-Name brand. Neutrogena and some others have been rated poorly and have had ingredients in it that actually caused cancer (not all in the lines but some) I use a high SPF of 50, rarely less than 30.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:12 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I apply SPF 45 sunscreen to exposed skin when I'm planning on spending more than an hour doing stuff outside, regardless of whether or not I'll be in full sun or in shade. I only apply it once. I try to stay in shady areas and I don't spend any time at the beach or out on the water or other places that are highly reflective of UV light and radiant heat.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:39 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,404,546 times
I'm someone who never used to put on sunscreen, even when I was at the beach...now I'm much more good about applying it.. especially to my face. I'm prone to get melasma on my forehead, so I apply mineral sunscreen on my face a lot..even when it's colder and cloudy. When it's hot and I'm spending time at the beach, I probably apply sunscreen on my face like every 30 minutes...lol I'm a little obsessive about it..

Old 04-09-2023, 01:14 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
A related question as I got burned to a lobster crisp within an hour of yard work yesterday. Do I add sunscreen after moisturizer or how does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty