Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 06:13 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not everyone, around the world, dresses like a slob and looking like a slob is not considered a self expression or fashion.
I am not sure why some people think that only baggy, shapeless, oversized clothes can make them feel comfortable. Or that's perfectly ok to wear them in public.
I wonder if they respect themselves, because they for sure don't respect others.
Some people probably don't have full body mirrors at home and totally lack self criticism.
Not everyone around the world dresses much at all, but yet, that would not be acceptable. Different parts of the world differ in how they dress, but that should not dictate to me how I should be dressing.

I would say that most people have worn different styles, and decided what makes them most comfortable. I have seen people who were required to dress up for work once home, wear a moo-moo the rest of the time.

So, are you implying that if I wear baggy clothing in public that I don't respect others? That I don't respect myself? That is awfully critical, and says more about the person saying it than those wearing baggy clothes.

Gee, we don't need "self criticism" as long as you are posting to let us know that we have no respect for ourselves or others.

My standards are just that people be clean and not smell bad, then I'm fine with whatever they are wearing.

Comfort and ease of movement. For many, cost is a factor in their choices. Self-expression is good in style, and may just help the person not seek acceptance in other ways that would be harmful.

I'm guessing with the timeline used by the OP, that her fashion high was in the 1960s, when clothes were quite ridiculous as I remember them. Everyone thinks the era they grew up in was the best of everything though. I prefer the 70s, but understand the 70s are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 06:16 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I agree with this. 'looking like a slob is not considered self-expression or fashion.'
My observation is that sometimes, like with coloring your hair, a woman might feel like "I don't need to dye my hair anymore, I'm retired, I don't need to conform to society's expectation that I continue to keep myself 'attractive,' that kind of thing....
I realized, personally, that when I was careless about how i dressed, or always dressed for comfort, I did not look my best. I also realized that to look good in pieces that would look more attractive on me, I have to keep up my exercise and keep my weight down - again, something other people view as more of a societal expectation than a personal goal, unfortunately.
It costs money to get dolled up to do errands, though, and I really don't want to go back to the days when it was expected that you go grocery shopping in a dress and heels with your hair perfectly set. Sometimes jeans and a tee shirt really do suffice.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:50 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It costs money to get dolled up to do errands, though, and I really don't want to go back to the days when it was expected that you go grocery shopping in a dress and heels with your hair perfectly set. Sometimes jeans and a tee shirt really do suffice.
I look great in jeans and a T-shirt I don't gussy up to run errands.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:59 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
That sounds good to me!

Old 03-27-2023, 09:54 AM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:

But why do the jeans have to have rips in them? Is this an anti-capitalist protest? I understand teenagers wearing them (they are always in protest mode), but why would an adult wear torn clothing as a fashion statement?

https://stylecaster.com/feature/best...57679/#slide-3

You have to be mighty rich to go out looking mighty poor. Sentiment expressed in "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:06 AM

5,010 posts, read 591,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
But why do the jeans have to have rips in them? Is this an anti-capitalist protest? I understand teenagers wearing them (they are always in protest mode), but why would an adult wear torn clothing as a fashion statement?

You have to be mighty rich to go out looking mighty poor. Sentiment expressed in "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck.
In the link you posted they say "Is there anything quite so edgy as a super-shredded pair of jet-black skinny jeans?....

Old 03-27-2023, 12:13 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are videos of shopping malls, grocery stores, fast food restaurants taken back in the 70's and 80's and it is amazing how slim and well dressed everyone back then was. I'm sure that was even more true in the 50's and 60's. Just look at an old video or photographs of HS students from the 50's and they were very sharply dressed.

It's a real eye opener. That said, I really don't want to go back to the days when you had to be perfectly coiffed to go out in public.
And have to wear heels, gloves and hats to go get groceries.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:30 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And don’t forget your pearls. How could one possible buy toilet paper without them??

Old 03-27-2023, 02:23 PM

24,102 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

No one is "protesting" anything, or trying to look poor. It's a style that has come and gone for 40 years.

I knew a family with daughters in their teens. They didn't like "dungarees" on their daughters because they associated them with farm workers, or "liberal hippies".

Instead they had their daughters shop at stores like Sears to buy brightly colored polyester blend slacks with gingham, calico, or solid-colored blouses (they thought tee shirts were also for workers or hippies) The daughters could not wear their hair long and loose - they had to wear a hair style that was above shoulder length and didn't move. Their shoes were two inch heel pumps. This was the early eighties.

They really loved polyester and thought it was a very classy fabric because it doesn't wrinkle.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:04 AM

43,078 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
How far back are you guys going...1940's ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty