Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 08:33 AM

846 posts, read 683,481 times

Advertisements

1) Some users made a completely valid point that Europeans just have less bodyfat (on avg) and are able to wear smaller clothes - rather than necessarily wearing slimmer fits.

2) Regarding the colors of clothing; Europeans do wear a variety of different colors, including bright colors. What I meant is that their outfit as a whole isn't really a rainbow or kaleidoscope. You see more solid colors; less tye dye, patterns, flannels with striking colors, etc. Overall less flamboyant.

3) There may be a selection bias. Maybe we're disproportionately looking at higher income cities that tend to be popular tourist areas or more likely to be photographed/put on Youtube. Maybe comparing a working class part of the USA vs. a a wealthy section of Florence Italy isn't a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 08:44 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
https://www.who.int/europe/publicati.../9789289057738

Old 02-19-2023, 08:58 AM

3,125 posts, read 1,013,961 times
I lived in average and small towns in Europe and people were dressed better than where I live now, in Orange County.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:47 AM

19,722 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post

No dryers in Europe in general, they don't have them, it is not a popular thing like in the US. So...you have to iron everything, since you don't want to appear as being disheveled/homeless.
I heard about this. Someone I know lived in London and said the majority of people smell "musty".

Old 03-07-2023, 09:10 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
I tend to like European fashion better.

Some traits of it, compared to American:
* Minimal to no logos or branding
* No graphic tees / shirts with witty quotes / etc.
* Slimmer fit clothes; not too baggy
* Not too many flamboyant colors (a lot of subtle colors: i.e. white, navy, black, charcoal, etc)

Trends in fit…slim or baggy…come & go depending on the item here & in Europe. The same with colors. Tho it sounds like you are unfairly comparing European high fashion with American every day contemporary brands that are mass produced to be affordable. Europe has that too.

You need to compare our high fashion here with theirs. You would see the same influences & similarities.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:11 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I heard about this. Someone I know lived in London and said the majority of people smell "musty".
They hang their laundry to dry, generally. And sometimes inside or in the basement/under the roof/kitchen/bathroom and if it is cold, they have the windows closed, so the air gets the clothes musky.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
I lived in average and small towns in Europe and people were dressed better than where I live now, in Orange County.
I feel like in Orange County every woman is going to the gym all day every day. Everyone looks the same - blond long straight hair and is wearing leggings and they have a Starbucks cup glued to their hand if it is before 2pm.

Old 03-08-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I feel like in Orange County every woman is going to the gym all day every day. Everyone looks the same - blond long straight hair and is wearing leggings and they have a Starbucks cup glued to their hand if it is before 2pm.

I went to the gym this morning but I did not go to Starbucks. I don’t think it’s fair or normal to judge us for how we look on our way to work out tho AND most of us wear yoga pants for that, not leggings. Part of fashion is knowing what to wear for what purpose. Ofc we aren’t thinking about high fashion at that time. It is no different anywhere else.

Old 03-08-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I went to the gym this morning but I did not go to Starbucks. I don’t think it’s fair or normal to judge us for how we look on our way to work out tho AND most of us wear yoga pants for that, not leggings. Part of fashion is knowing what to wear for what purpose. Ofc we aren’t thinking about high fashion at that time. It is no different anywhere else.
I was joking. I meant everyone always LOOKS like they are going to the gym. Not that they are actually going there. Because everyone nowadays always wears yoga pants/leggings or however you want to call them at all times of the day no matter what they do and where they go.

I would never judge anyone actually going to the gym.

Old 03-08-2023, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Because everyone nowadays always wears yoga pants/leggings or however you want to call them at all times of the day no matter what they do and where they go.

And, if they’re going to be fashionable, they need to understand the difference between yoga pants & leggings. Too many don’t & that’s how it starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty