Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 03:47 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times

Advertisements

Whose who work from home...what do you wear while working?

I'm new to work from home....and this is a revelation to me when it comes to how little clothing I need.
Really, I'm amazed.

I mean I knew I wouldn't get as "dressed" as I did when I went to an office.
I thought maybe I'd put on a top for a video meeting or two. But turns out my supervisor doesn't like to use the video options.....and so far, for any trainings or co-worker chats no one makes you put on the camera.

This is great. I'm been working in my head scarf and pajamas for two months. And I'm loving it!

I always had a designated work wardrobe (85 complete, totally different outfits just for work)-- and separate around the house clothes.

I haven't touched my work outfits in two months! This really is becoming a lesson in just how few items of clothing I really need. Now I'm understanding more and more just how -- depending on the circumstances -- a person can get by with a very minimal wardrobe.

What do you wear for working from home?
My friends joke that it's embarrassing just how many days we stay in the same clothing at home.

------------

I also now can see first hand how work from home has totally changed the fashion and apparel industry. Everything had been moving more casual even before WFH surged. But now everything is "elevated" casual or loungewear-oriented.....loungewear that can double as business casual or clothing you'd wear away from the house.

There's hardly any place to even buy a suit now. Department stores only, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 03:52 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Well, there's boredom to consider. No reason why someone working from home needs to wear the same old garments day after day even if they don't need to impress anyone. Changing things up just for grins can be enjoyable. Much of fashion revolves around fun, not work.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:07 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
So, you don’t need to get dressed to go to Starbucks or the doughnut place?

Old 11-26-2022, 06:46 PM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
I've honestly worn the same type of lounging clothes I wear at home anyway:

Tank tops & half slips

& in Southern California, I can pretty much wear them year-round.

I still have my work attire in my closet when I used to have to commute to a job out there, but have no need to ever touch them. But I have plenty of nice tops when I have to be on-camera.

When I go out & about, it's loose, cool, & comfy all the way. Now I never used to buy clothes from Target, but have several or so pieces from them. I have no need to pay more anymore these days.

I honestly never have to buy any more clothing for the rest of my life, unless I just want to treat myself w/ something new.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
I've worked from home for 12 years. That was the most "normal" part of the pandemic for me. The big difference is moving from a company where I wasn't expected to go on video to a company where most people are on video most of the time. I haven't really changed my wardrobe a lot, but I no longer have no bra, sweatshirt days. Given it's been colder, it's a different sweater daily. The other big difference is I feel the need to style my hair if I have calls and put on a bit of makeup. Lip color seems essential to me on video calls.

All of the above might be because I'm generally the oldest person on a call. Anything I can do to "up" my appearance is good.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:15 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I haven't really changed my wardrobe a lot, but I no longer have no bra, sweatshirt days. Given it's been colder, it's a different sweater daily.
ALL my days are no bra days -- unless I leave the house. And even then once winter comes and I have a coat on I don't wear one then either.

It's just my opinion, but I only get dressed if I'm leaving the house. I'm just not in the camp of people who think "I want to get dressed for me." Don't feel the need, or have the desire.

Forever Blue, I, too, never need to buy anymore clothes the rest of my life.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:28 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Tank tops & half slips

I still have my work attire in my closet when I used to have to commute to a job out there, but have no need to ever touch them. But I have plenty of nice tops when I have to be on-camera.

When I go out & about, it's loose, cool, & comfy all the way. Now I never used to buy clothes from Target, but have several or so pieces from them. I have no need to pay more anymore these days.

I honestly never have to buy any more clothing for the rest of my life, unless I just want to treat myself w/ something new.
Half slips - are you talking about what we used to have to wear under dresses or something else?

I lived in southern CA a long time and don't remember seeing anything called half slips.

I live in the south now where it's still warm most of the year so I usually wear shorts and a tank top or tee when I'm working from home. I'll also be running outside either to do some outdoor chores or take a walk around the neighborhood so I have to be decent, lol.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
ALL my days are no bra days -- unless I leave the house. And even then once winter comes and I have a coat on I don't wear one then either.

It's just my opinion, but I only get dressed if I'm leaving the house. I'm just not in the camp of people who think "I want to get dressed for me." Don't feel the need, or have the desire.

Forever Blue, I, too, never need to buy anymore clothes the rest of my life.

Yep, I know what you mean! I only wear a bra when I leave the house...probably not good though from keeping our breasts from not sagging later. Thank God I'm not on camera constantly for my jobs, but I did get 1 little, short-term seasonal job these days that requires us to be on-camera for our entire shift! Sure hope more remote jobs don't start doing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Half slips - are you talking about what we used to have to wear under dresses or something else?

I lived in southern CA a long time and don't remember seeing anything called half slips.

I live in the south now where it's still warm most of the year so I usually wear shorts and a tank top or tee when I'm working from home. I'll also be running outside either to do some outdoor chores or take a walk around the neighborhood so I have to be decent, lol.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about when I speak of half slips! And they used to be around since the 1980s that I recall. The fabric's thin, stretchy, airy, easy to throw in the wash, & the most comfortable bottom I can think of w/ its elastic waistband. I have a few of them that are knee-length in black that I alternate wearing (again, this is around the house only). It's just fiance' & I at home, so no one else sees what I wear at home nor does anyone at any WAH (work @ home) job ever see what bottoms I wear. I don't like wearing shorts or pants or any fabric going around my legs when I'm at home.

Now I don't necessarily care for the lace part of half slips because it can be scratchy, but I have some like these & I get the cheapest ones I can find:

https://www.amazon.com/Jones-Womens-...8-8&th=1&psc=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vanity-Fa...1717/112205658

Old 11-27-2022, 09:05 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Tank tops & half slips

You must keep the heat turned up, because even in Southern California for at least half the year it is way too cold to wear nothing but underwear around the house.

I'm in SoCal and right now I am wearing a hoodie over a tank top, sweat pants, and fuzzy socks.

But hey we are saving money on heating bills.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You must keep the heat turned up, because even in Southern California for at least half the year it is way too cold to wear nothing but underwear around the house.

I'm in SoCal and right now I am wearing a hoodie over a tank top, sweat pants, and fuzzy socks.

But hey we are saving money on heating bills.

I start having to turn on the heater in Oct & I'll have to keep track of when I no longer have to turn it on, but my body just never gets that cold. I've been like that my whole life, but I keep a throw on my sofa & desk chair just in case.

I pretty much have been barefoot at home my entire life too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty