Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 03:48 PM

10,409 posts, read 8,109,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not quite. I have store that she missed. Her inclusion of Lane Bryant would not be at all helpful to the poster. It's a shop exclusively for large women.
Petite, in women's clothing, refers to shorter than average height, not overall body build or waist/hip size. It's entirely possible to be a plus-size petite, or a non-petite size 00. (Yes, it's confusing!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 04:21 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,078,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I guess that's it then. I never experienced hot flashes or any of that other stuff. Lucky me!
I didn't have traditional symptoms either.

But, since I suffered from a young age with horrendous migraines (20-days/mo for an 18-yr period) & doubled over with menstrual cramps which had me crawling on the floor, sleeping on the floor rolled in the fetal position, groaning all night to the point that people screamed at me & bleeding like a stabbing victim 10-days/mo (I had lifelong severe anemia), I feel it's an even trade off.

For me, periods ruined a number of jobs, most relationships & friendships cuz I never knew when bonce bashin' pain would overtake my life. With a plethora of allergies, side effects or no affect, meds were out of the picture. I couldn't even pre-plan & buy a ticket for a concert, play or ballet or RSVP to anything... had to get day-of tix to know for sure I could make it. Friends tire of someone who can't commit, so they become non-friends very quickly.

In fact, 1-yr of no period... to the exact day... all migraines left & have never returned. That was 5-yrs ago. I finally know what normal feels like. Menopause is the best thing that ever happened to me, truly & sadly.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:36 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,516,708 times
It's a real pain being 4'10" and plus size. All pants are WAY too long, sleeves are too long, necklines gape.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:50 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,079,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I took "Wate On" (it also came in tablets) in high school, too; I wanted a bigger bootie to fill out my jeans, LOL. As a young adult, I would drink Nutrament, buying it by the case, when I wasn't eating enough. Crazy that I'm now carrying an extra 20 pounds I can't budge. Be careful what you wish for!
I took Wate On tablets in college. Back then, in the early 60's, being skinny was not desirable.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:15 PM

22,195 posts, read 13,372,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I took Wate On tablets in college. Back then, in the early 60's, being skinny was not desirable.
Mine was in the mid-1970s. I don't know if it was "fashionable" then or not, but I hated being skinny!

Old 10-13-2022, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Mine was in the mid-1970s. I don't know if it was "fashionable" then or not, but I hated being skinny!
Oh, dear goodness... me, too & I'm also 5'11" in heels.

I have the opposite problem of the OP... everything I need is a small size, but, it's also too short... pant legs, skirt hems, sleeves. Most of my life, it seems I favored capris... they weren't capris. I'm overjoyed if pant legs come anywhere near my ankles. I used to have to make my own clothing... suits & pants mostly.

Even into my 20s, packs of girls never stopped mocking me, asking if I ever ate anything, every single day. It's exhausting. Of course, I'd never ask about their short, fat legs or wide hips & penchant for over-filled plates of food... that's harassing.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:01 PM

30,528 posts, read 52,230,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I guess that's it then. I never experienced hot flashes or any of that other stuff. Lucky me!
Quote:
Well, good for you.

We all have our crosses to bear... lol.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:11 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,421,633 times
Junior sizes are cut shorter in length than Missy. About the same as a Missy Petite. I don't need to shorten Juniors.

When all else fails, try EBAY. Put in the brand that I normally wear, my size, and the color I wanted. Got Lucky. Found a pair of jeans in brand and my size, new with tags. free shipping, and only $17. If for some reason they don't fit right, I will donate them to Goodwill.

I live in a fairly rural area in the mountains. Very cold and snowy in Winter. Not known for clothes shopping. When I lived in a city in Florida, I went once a week to Ross Stores. Always found a good selection in my size and at good price. Closest Ross to me now is about 45 minutes away. When I go there, it is for an all day trip. One pair of jeans? No.

I am a 5 or 5.5 shoe. Bit of problem too but I can wear a Girls Size 3. Can save money with that! I have bought Girls Ugg Boots which are about $25 cheaper than a comparable Women's. If the Shoe fits, WEAR IT!

Old 10-14-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am a 5 or 5.5 shoe. Bit of problem too but I can wear a Girls Size 3. Can save money with that! I have bought Girls Ugg Boots which are about $25 cheaper than a comparable Women's. If the Shoe fits, WEAR IT!
My mum & both sisters hover around 5' tall & wear size 5 shoes. I wear a 7.5-8 & they called me Sasquatch.

Even though differences in body type/size can be cumbersome in regard to finding properly fitting clothing, it's not always the person but company making the clothing. When my dad was on strike (union worker), my mum worked in a sewing factory. She said that if she ran out of the proper sized tags, the boss told her not to stop working, but to keep working & just use the next size down or up. This explains why I have shorts that are size 4 that are larger than shorts that are size 6... & my dresses that are size 4-9... I'm always the same weight... don't lose or gain, still the sizes are all over the place.

I like different sizes & looks in people. I used to be a makeup artist/hairstylist... it drove me nuts when someone would say they contour a face cuz it's too square or round or whatever... I like face shapes. My youngest sister has a heart shaped face... I've never seen another, in person. She doesn't like her smaller chin... I think it's beautiful.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:34 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,421,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
My mum & both sisters hover around 5' tall & wear size 5 shoes. I wear a 7.5-8 & they called me Sasquatch.

Even though differences in body type/size can be cumbersome in regard to finding properly fitting clothing, it's not always the person but company making the clothing. When my dad was on strike (union worker), my mum worked in a sewing factory. She said that if she ran out of the proper sized tags, the boss told her not to stop working, but to keep working & just use the next size down or up. This explains why I have shorts that are size 4 that are larger than shorts that are size 6... & my dresses that are size 4-9... I'm always the same weight... don't lose or gain, still the sizes are all over the place.

I like different sizes & looks in people. I used to be a makeup artist/hairstylist... it drove me nuts when someone would say they contour a face cuz it's too square or round or whatever... I like face shapes. My youngest sister has a heart shaped face... I've never seen another, in person. She doesn't like her smaller chin... I think it's beautiful.
I can sew and years ago I not only made my own clothes, but for other's weddings, proms, and for the HS's Cheerleaders. Want to talk about Vanity Sizing? My Wedding Dress from 1974 is a size 5, and still fits me. I weigh the same then as I do today. Clothing manufacturers have made women's sizes bigger. Psychology. But I am "only" a size 10! Well, years ago for a 50's party theme, I found a size 10 pattern and made a dress. Did not have to alter it one bit. From '50's size 10 to 2022 size 1?????? We have all heard about Marilyn's size then, and what she would be in today's clothes.

Funny thing is that my favorite pair of Junior jeans is called "Curvy Girl". At size 1????? Maybe so. My waist is 25 inches and my hips 34 inches. Hips all bones, no booty. Worked fine with birthing children, though

Last edited by Jo48; 10-14-2022 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty