Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 06:47 AM

10,006 posts, read 7,948,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I generally don’t spend much on shoes because I really, really dislike wearing them. But having shopped for shoes in the last few months, I’m also shocked at what even cheap ones cost. It’s kind of sad.
Same here. My first choice is always barefoot, second choice is near barefoot like sandals.

If I need shoes, I get them at the local buy one, get second pair half off store. I like the casual fun slip on sneaker type shoes in the fun colors and prints. There are 2-3 brands that I really like, fit my feet well enough that they are comfy all day at work and can be worn on long walks.

I have one pair of real hiking boots that I wear in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,627,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My parents & I have always spent a good amount on footwear. I have never had or bought cheap shoes, shoes from Payless, etc. even when I was a child. I remember in elementary (private) school having the K-Swiss brand sneakers, etc. often.

I waas raised to spend good $ on quality shoes because those are worn on the feet and unlike clothing, cheap footwear can cause feet to hurt quicker (esp. since I have pretty flat feet w/ hardly any arch), plus the shoes probably won't last as long.

I think the MOST I've ever spent on ANY footwear was $300 on these black, knee-high leather boots from Norddstrom that I'd been wanting for a while. I know I was somewhere in my mid-20s to early-30s. They lasted. In fact, I still have them & that was at least 10+ yrs ago.
I spent $200 on some Cole Hahn boots about thirty years ago. I've resoled them at least twice. They are still as fabulous as the day I bought them! They are ankle boots.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:20 AM

12,881 posts, read 15,217,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I spent $200 on some Cole Hahn boots about thirty years ago. I've resoled them at least twice. They are still as fabulous as the day I bought them! They are ankle boots.

Great! Yes, usually one still gets what they pay for.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:25 PM

20,713 posts, read 16,566,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I definitely agree with getting good quality shoes and resoling them, getting the heels replaced, etc. as needed. Well-made shoes are made to be repairable - cheap shoes are just rubber/plastic and glued together so are disposable simply because they can't be fixed.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:31 AM

3,333 posts, read 1,840,735 times
I used to buy cheap sneakers from large retailers. Then one day I sat down and realized every year I was spending close to what a good pair of sneakers or boots would have cost. Last month I bought a pair of sneakers (Hakka's) ? (sp) for $150. When I was working I splurged an a pair of Merrell boots. They were the most comfortable boots I ever bought and well worth it.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:08 AM

12,226 posts, read 8,646,890 times
I used to have leather boots that lasted 30-40 years. I remember the first time I brought them in for new soles the man behind the counter couldn't get over what good quality they were.

But now the problem is to find someone to re-sole them. Where have all the cobblers gone? Even high-end leather shoes the artificial material they use to sole them cracks and falls apart after twenty years.

Best ones I own are a pair of Harley Davidson hiking boots and tall riding boots. But the warmest ones I own look like Uggs but are a cheap knock off. They match a sheepskin jacket and are nice and cozy.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:24 AM

12,881 posts, read 15,217,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
...Where have all the cobblers gone?...

I have no idea either. I used to go to this shoe repair man & I think he's been gone since the start or middle of COVID. & the only other one I've known about in my area was gone yrs before that.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:53 AM

29,956 posts, read 15,012,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I used to have leather boots that lasted 30-40 years. I remember the first time I brought them in for new soles the man behind the counter couldn't get over what good quality they were.

But now the problem is to find someone to re-sole them. Where have all the cobblers gone? Even high-end leather shoes the artificial material they use to sole them cracks and falls apart after twenty years.

Best ones I own are a pair of Harley Davidson hiking boots and tall riding boots. But the warmest ones I own look like Uggs but are a cheap knock off. They match a sheepskin jacket and are nice and cozy.
I am very lucky to have a good cobbler within 15 minutes of where I live. In the past, I've sent my boots back to the maker to get resoled. I was really hesitant the first time I tried the place, which came recommended. I was very happy with the results and I thought the price was very fair, $120.
Attached Thumbnails
Shoes and boots-sd.jpg  

Old 11-15-2022, 12:04 PM

22,509 posts, read 29,740,452 times
Nike's for the gym and my going out every day sneakers. Sketchers for housework. I have HD boots for my boot days and Columbia snow boots. I also have Merrell hiking boots.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 333 times
In preparation for my next vacation, I just purchased some brand-new shoes along with some exclusive revenge hoodies. My favorite sneakers to wear every day are those made by Nike. I was able to get this item at a very reasonable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty