Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 10:16 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times

Advertisements

I've always had pretty good skin, so I've never spent a lot money on products. I mostly shop drugstore... I use an Acure facewash and E.L.F. moisturizer. I recently got some discoloration on my forehead from the sun, so I've been using a Vitamin C serum from Josie Moran, which costs $66.

Is there really such a difference between drugstore and high-end skin products? What is the most you would spend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 10:35 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
So far it's been a dud for me. I've tried several over the years and found they work no better or worse than my cheapie go-tos.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:55 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,997 times
Some of them are and some of them aren’t and a lot of what works depends on your own skin. I’ve tried some cheaper stuff that didn’t work well for me (but works fine for others). I use mostly Skinceuticals skincare, so I’m willing to spend quite a lot on my skin.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:15 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Personally I wouldn't spend a lot of money on cleansers or toners because they don't really stay on your skin that much. But for serums or other treatments, those can be worth the splurge. I have a mix of Cetaphil and Neutrogena alongside Drunk Elephant and Fresh. There's also some good stuff at a low price point from The Ordinary and Inkey List.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:26 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
I use tretinoin 1%. I asked my father (pharmacist) about it and he told me it absolutely did work (and my dad was a sceptic about many things) and have been using it for many years. I also once used in combination with Obagi skincare a number of years ago and micro dermabrasion (really liked that process).

With a Good RX coupon you can get a .45 gram tube for about 95.00. Lasts 3 months if used lavishly like me or probably 6 months if used properly.

I might suggest a laser treatment for your forehead discoloration.

Facewashes simply remove substances from your skin. I would not spend a lot of money on them.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
I’m a fan of the Josie Maran stuff. I use the argan oil and the facial moisturizer with SPF. I haven’t had as good luck with the OTC moisturizers with SPF and use Josie in the summer and Paula’s choice in the winter as they have formulations that don’t break me out. I mainly stick with those two brands, and Paula’s Choice really isn’t super expensive when compared to drugstore brands like Cerave.

I do stick to Cerave and OTC brands for cleansers and also get some other serums from the Ordinary. The price for that is quite good and I like the quality. I think it’s largely going to depend on you and your skin.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:01 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I use tretinoin 1%. I asked my father (pharmacist) about it and he told me it absolutely did work (and my dad was a sceptic about many things) and have been using it for many years. I also once used in combination with Obagi skincare a number of years ago and micro dermabrasion (really liked that process).

With a Good RX coupon you can get a .45 gram tube for about 95.00. Lasts 3 months if used lavishly like me or probably 6 months if used properly.

Facewashes simply remove substances from your skin. I would not spend a lot of money on them.
Yeah, I've heard of laser treatments for melasma. The problem is you usually have to get multiple treatments , which can get expensive. I hope I see some results from the Josie Maran vitamin C serum soon...

Old 06-27-2022, 11:19 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post

Me too, Retin A since my 30s. I have almost no wrinkles, but at 55 there is some sagging, it's just like my face got tired and dropped a quarter inch. Nothing I know helps with that, it's just part of the process.

I use it in conjunctions with a bunch of things, glycolic, marine hylauronics, niaminicide, vitamin C, a bunch of stuff, but I purchase from The Ordinary. Most dermatologists I spoke speak highly of their products (contain a good version of what is advertised on the label, in the amounts shown), and they are very inexpensive, without all the additives.

I also have found that I love Trader Joe's toiletries, something I never would have tried myself, but tried at my sisters and was totally surprised.

So basically the only high end thing that I think is worth it is the Retin A (the generic I can't spell).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2022, 12:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah, I've heard of laser treatments for melasma. The problem is you usually have to get multiple treatments , which can get expensive. I hope I see some results from the Josie Maran vitamin C serum soon...
I have been using Paula’s choice retinol with vitamin C. It seems to help. I have a big blob on my forehead that is less visible. I use it about every other day.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:26 PM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times
My wife uses and swears by the Obagi Medical. I have noticed the difference as well. She has tried others and nothing else compares. Its pricey but worth it depending on your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty