Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 07:14 AM

4,819 posts, read 2,975,616 times

Advertisements

Although, of course, John Wayne was an actor, not a cowboy, so in his real life he almost certainly wore non-Western style hats, as did 99% of all men of his generation. I don't know what style of hats he preferred for real daily wear (as opposed to what his characters wore for acting costume).

The cowboy hat (and again, there are several styles) has an actual functional basis, which derives from working cattle in the hot sun for months on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 10:54 AM

794 posts, read 1,763,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's also important to distinguish between "dress up cowboy" and "real cowboy" attire.

Dress up cowboy, whether Anglo cowboy, Nudie-suit country western star, or Mexican charro, is all for purty. In Anglo dress-up cowboy style, that's the $800 felt hat, the $2000 exotic cowboy boots, the pie-plate-sized belt buckles, the giant lifted pickup truck that never goes off the pavement.

Real cowboy is for practicality. In the Anglo real cowboy world that's a straw hat that costs $12.99 at Tractor Supply (because sooner or later it'll fall into some "stuff" and where there are cattle, there's lots of "Stuff" on the ground, plus you're going to be sweating profusely and it's going to get stained and damaged); steel toe work boots, because cows can step on your feet and very few people use horses to work cattle any more, so you don't need the characteristics of cowboy boots that are based on riding; and the four-wheel "mule" for rough terrain and the least expensive Ford Chevy or Dodge four wheel drive pickup for less rough terrain.
So true. I'm in Wyoming, you don't see much traditional or trendy western cowboy clothing, more "work" attire like you describe. I had a neighbor "ranch kid" who got into beauty pageants, reality t.v. and is now quite the Instagram star living in a luxury apartment in Los Angeles but comes back just to take pics of herself in high end cowboy boots and otherwise quite suggestive outfits on her parents ranch and sells herself as "Wyoming ranch girl."

Old 05-28-2022, 01:16 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,180,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
Due to a debate going on in a state forum, it just made me curious what others think about traditional western attire such as cowboy hats/boots, wrangler jeans, etc. Would be interested in knowing what part of the USA you are in, rural or urban, and how often or where in your locale you see people dressed this way.
Colorado, and although there is a western wear store very near my home, it is not a popular style at all. Just about the only time I see it is at the Western Stock Show in January. Otherwise, we all live in black fleece pullovers, jeans (not Wrangler), and hiking boots. Or black fleece and shorts if the sun is out.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:13 PM

794 posts, read 1,763,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Colorado, and although there is a western wear store very near my home, it is not a popular style at all. Just about the only time I see it is at the Western Stock Show in January. Otherwise, we all live in black fleece pullovers, jeans (not Wrangler), and hiking boots. Or black fleece and shorts if the sun is out.
What part of CO? Everyone wears black? Lol. In Wyoming Carhartt and under armour hoodies/pullovers are very popular. Also hiking boots, keens and bogs.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
What part of CO? Everyone wears black? Lol. In Wyoming Carhartt and under armour hoodies/pullovers are very popular. Also hiking boots, keens and bogs.

I'm exaggerating but only slightly. When I travel, I can tell without even looking at the board when I've arrived at the gate heading for Denver because of the black fleece pullovers. It's our state uniform.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:46 PM

25,367 posts, read 11,781,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Are you with a fashion cult?

Old 05-28-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Are you with a fashion cult?
Sure, if you consider REI to be a fashion cult!

I know you all think I'm kidding with you, but I'm really not. Black fleece is everywhere in the Front Range, and some form of it can be seen most any month of the year. In my car right now, I have a black fleece pullover in the back seat. My husband keeps one in his office. My daughter has one, although it's gray rather than black. My son has two! When I look out my kitchen window early in the morning, nearly every person walking their dog is wearing a black fleece. I don't know exactly why we all wear them, but we do. Western wear is not a thing in the most populous region of Colorado. If it's worn, it's performative, like at the Western Stock Show in January. Otherwise, it's black fleece, jeans, and hiking boots. High fashion divas we are not!

Old 05-28-2022, 04:31 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,862,139 times
I was born on the wrong coast. I'm in New England and western wear is uncommon, except for the horsey folk. I've got a pearl snap black shirt with a western cut to it, red piping on the yoke and it always gets compliments. I wear it with a matching buckle & bolo tie when stepping out with my woman. I've got a 2" wide silver Navajo watch cuff set with 12 turquoise stones. I draw the line at the boots tho, terrible in winter. No traction at all for snow & ice. I'll wear a wide brimmed hat but not "cowboy" style. Silver concho's on the belt too. I kinda stand out.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,851,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I am in Florida and I am not allowed.

My Old Lady basically put her Paw down on it (My wife said NO WAY)
She will not even go out in public with me if I am wearing that awesome Cowboy hat that I got for Christmas.
I do often wear a simple straw Peter Gunn cowboy hat daily but it is for sun protection, not fashion.
We were in Wyoming, and I begged her to please let us go into a western clothes store.
"For a minute she said"
And she let me know when the minute was up, but I could tell that she does not like Western clothes.

I love the Rodeo too, she does not.

BUT I grew up in Texas and Western clothes were always an option. My dad wore a black suit, clack hat, Tony Lama boots, Bolo Tie or black western Bow tie on occasion to formal events.
So yes, I like the Western look, but it is better suited to Western States or the Rodeo.

True Story'
I was about 18, we went on a trip to Washington DC, out last family trip together, ever, and I mostly had a wardrobe of western clothes. SO there I am in the hot summer, cowboy hat, boots, western shirt, sitting in the lobby of a museum, when walking in was some guy older, but dressed like me, We started talking, and turns out he was from Texas too...and dressed in his daily western clothes.

To this day, it has been a joke about my wearing western clothes in Washington DC but like I said, the old lady hates the idea.

I do not currently own any cowboy boots, I may pick up a pair at a flea market or tractor supply sale sometime, but as much as I like western clothes, I do not have a pickup, I do not live on a farm, I live in the hear of Florida and I love my wife and do not want to upset her.
CATtle rancher!

Old 05-29-2022, 07:39 AM

25,367 posts, read 11,781,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
CATtle rancher!
May I borrow that word please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty