Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 11:50 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,490,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
tank tops are for young men , doesnt look right on middle aged and older , imagine your grand pa wearing a tank top while shopping at the local grocery store , and how silly it looks on an old guy with wrinkled arms with old faded tattoos from his navy days

a loose light color t shirt is more appropriate
I have to agree, it just looks slovenly unless you're young, well groomed, and fit, and even then, it's a pretty narrow window where it looks alright.

Otherwise, unless you're going to the pool, beach, gym or to workout, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 07:09 PM

1,160 posts, read 636,717 times
Lol, it's funny / strange that there are such stringent rules on a simple tank top.

Granted, going to anything formal or even hinting on poshness sit down restaurant, yeah no tanks.

When you live in NYC or anywhere where the heat can be just oppressive, who gives a rat's you know what what other ppl think... wear a tank dude. Just make sure it's clean and presentable. And most important of all... make sure your pits don't stink... THAT is more important than if ppl approve of your tank top.

I wear shorts, a tank top and summer shoes (anything with airy uppers etc) when the heat hits. Everyone does here when it's just too hot to melt in anything else.

Just rock your look and don't worry about it

Old 06-08-2022, 08:08 PM

398 posts, read 207,792 times
I would not want to get a tank top tan lines if I was out in the sun. I am thin and fit but I don't wear them for that reason.

At night sure.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:03 AM

1,709 posts, read 791,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
It's funny how in the summer, a lot of women wear tank tops, but very few men do. The men that do wear them either are muscular men who wear them to show off their muscles or men that wear those dingy undershirt type tank tops that wear them and look like they were too lazy to get dressed.

But I don't see very many men (especially non-muscular men) wear them casually during the summer because it's hot out. As a guy, I do wish I could wear them because here in NYC, it gets so muggy here in the summer time, especially around July. But I'm not a muscular person, but just want to wear them because it's hot. And not to mention, short sleeves give a terrible tan line on the arms. So I would like to wear them during a warm summer day, but I don't as I would feel out of place since I would feel like I'm the only guy wearing one outside.

But maybe it's just me. Are tank tops even fashionable for men to wear in the summer? Or are they ugly and I should just stick to short sleeve T-shirts?
Tank tops for Men?

No OP neither shaved armpits, like in the other thread, nor Tank Tops are something that most men will ever wear.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:34 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,481,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I have to agree, it just looks slovenly unless you're young, well groomed, and fit, and even then, it's a pretty narrow window where it looks alright.

Otherwise, unless you're going to the pool, beach, gym or to workout, no.
My husband isn't young, but he's very fit, has a flat stomach/slim waistline and nicely shaped arms and shoulders. If he wanted to wear a tank top, he'd still look great.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:07 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,492,714 times
I say its - OKAY!!

But I'm not the most savvy in the fashion trends that go on in todays society.

For guys, I find the tank to be a forgiving garment on different physiques.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:17 AM

24,155 posts, read 32,580,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Actually I'm in NYC.

And I'm not talking about those Hanes tank top undershirts that are fitted. I'm talking about those loose tank tops. Like these...

https://www.gapfactory.com/browse/pr...?pid=870329021
Those look very retro 1970s, to be specific. If it's hot, and you are fit, under forty, and hot - NYC summers can be very hot, I think these are OK.

However, if you add a gold chain, a line has been crossed.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:56 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Those look very retro 1970s, to be specific. If it's hot, and you are fit, under forty, and hot - NYC summers can be very hot, I think these are OK.

However, if you add a gold chain, a line has been crossed.
LOL. Hilarious!

Everyone wears them down here in the tropics. I don't like it, due to their pits, but nobody is asking me.

I barely wear them myself due to the huge armholes, defeating the purpose (a woman has to wear another top underneath, stupid).

Old 07-05-2022, 04:04 PM

43,334 posts, read 18,453,148 times
I live in a beach town and tanks are worn by anyone and everyone in the summer.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:07 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,580,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. Hilarious!

Everyone wears them down here in the tropics. I don't like it, due to their pits, but nobody is asking me.

I barely wear them myself due to the huge armholes, defeating the purpose (a woman has to wear another top underneath, stupid).
I agree with you. I am a petite woman and the armholes go almost reach my waist. Add a cami and it's defeats the purpose - being cool.

I stick to plain white 100% cotton tees or sun dresses with spaghetti straps when it's too hot for shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty