Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 04:19 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times

Advertisements

I have a small house and not much closet space. I 'space bag' summer and winter clothes and store them in a bin in the loft in the garage in their 'off' season. I wash and fold them first, of course, and usually was them again when I take them out to wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 06:38 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
The right side of my closet is easier to access than the left, so I keep current-season clothes there, and off-season stuff off to the left. Our winters aren't real cold--rarely snows--so cold weather clothes are heavier pants, sweaters, and robes. Summers are brutally hot, so light dresses are my favorites.

Outerwear goes in the closet by the front door.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
I grew up in Hawaii so other than a few sweaters/sweatshirts and maybe a couple pairs of boots (merely for fashion) that was the extent of seasonal clothing.

When I left home (military) I found out the hard way about seasons! So, for the past 37 years I have learned to store our seasonal clothing in plastic tubs and the heavy storage bags that can have the air sucked out.

I generally add fabric softener dryer sheets to the clothing to keep it smelling nice.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:40 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
the heavy storage bags that can have the air sucked out.
Aha! I think I still have several of those somewhere; I should try it for sweaters and such so they take up less space.

Old 04-10-2022, 01:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I have two closets and one is winter clothes and shoes and one is summer clothes and shoes. So I don't switch them out - I just switch out where I sit after my bath to put on moisturizer and deodorant and stuff.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:05 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm watching one of those organization shows, and it got me thinking about whether or not this practice has gone by the wayside ...

When I was growing up (70's/80's), twice a year my parents would have us completely clean out our closets. So around September-ish, all the Spring and Summer clothes would either go into a cedar walk-in closet downstairs or into cedar lined steamer trunks that went into the crawlspace. Then in March-ish, the Autumn and Winter clothes went into storage, and the Spring/Summer clothes would return.

Does anyone else remember doing this "back in the day"? Does anyone still do it?

I don't, but mainly because I don't have any extra space to store off-season clothing (apartment living). I'm wondering if the move from wall closets to walk-in closets might have eliminated the need?
Actually, situations like yours is exactly why I, and many others, store winter clothing at a dry cleaner.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:51 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,924 times
Almost the same as #12, I just shove different clothes to the back of the closet as the seasons change. As a kid, I remember we didn’t use the hall closet much in summer, all the family winter outerwear was in there, but it wasn’t moved, just ignored.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:53 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Never had to do that. We wore the same clothes in winter and summer in our family. In the winter we wore a sweater over our shirts and under our coats. In the summer we wouldn't.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:54 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm watching one of those organization shows, and it got me thinking about whether or not this practice has gone by the wayside ...

When I was growing up (70's/80's), twice a year my parents would have us completely clean out our closets. So around September-ish, all the Spring and Summer clothes would either go into a cedar walk-in closet downstairs or into cedar lined steamer trunks that went into the crawlspace. Then in March-ish, the Autumn and Winter clothes went into storage, and the Spring/Summer clothes would return.

Does anyone else remember doing this "back in the day"? Does anyone still do it?

I don't, but mainly because I don't have any extra space to store off-season clothing (apartment living). I'm wondering if the move from wall closets to walk-in closets might have eliminated the need?
I remember having some walk-in closets and some wall closets in the different places my family lived during my pre-teen years and my mom also changed over clothing between summer/winter every year. The wrong season clothing was stored in boxes/suitcases in upper shelves vs. the clothing of season in dresser drawers.
During my teenage years we lived overseas in a climate with mild winters, I am sure whether my mom did this as much as while we lived in places colder winters.

Nowadays I just separate drawers in my dresser for warm weather vs. cold weather clothing but I am not swapping out any clothing of any kind in terms of space/location. Clothing hanging in the wall closets tend to be placed warm weather stuff one side and cold weather stuff on the other side but everything stays put all year long.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:42 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
I have lots of cashmere sweaters, nice woolen jackets, etc. I store them in big zip lock bags and then inside a storage zip cube.

Just had them all dry cleaned (Im now poorer) before storing them. So they will be fresh and ready to wear later this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty