Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 06:46 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,074,248 times

Advertisements

I don't really agree that all you need to carry is "wallet, phone, sunglasses or driving glasses, keys and maybe a lipstick." Many people carry a lot of other items and I should say these are all reasonably important: reading gasses, medications (Tylenol, Dramamine, and reflux/upset stomach stuff), Kleenex, lists, pen and paper, checkbook, sanitizer, and other items.

I also think that carrying everything in your hands makes them more easily lost or dropped. I saw a woman carrying a set of jangling keys, a phone, a wallet, and a few other items in her hands. Talk about scattered.

I'm not quite sure why women are so anti-handbag anymore but to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 06:49 AM

4,965 posts, read 3,326,284 times
Just my hospital purse only leave home for my medical appointments.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:56 AM

316 posts, read 304,917 times
I don't understand the multiple purses thing, either.

Other than a small black one I keep for funerals and one silver bag for fancy, dress up events, I stick with a brown, non-branded leather crossbody bag. I've had my daily bag for over 5 years and it's still going strong.

As for those who switch to multiple bags, I do know you can purchase "purse organizers", which allow you to simply lift the organizer from one bag to another. These seem to be aimed at those who love those giant-sized bags, in which you can seemingly stash a small infant.

Sand&Salt: I don't know where you live, so not sure this would work for you, but my MIL would always wear a blazer with pockets so she could avoid carrying a purse.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:39 AM

3,065 posts, read 2,048,326 times
I love my crossbody that is very worn out but can't find one to replace it with.
Yes it is waaay too much trouble to change purses to match outfits even though I have other purses.

I wish I could carry less in my purse but insecurity rules.
I will leave purse in car and take only wallet into certain stores worried about shoplifting.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:47 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
I never change purses on a daily basis. I have my everyday bag that is not always neutral (my newest one is a dusty rose) but I do carry a bunch of stuff: wallet, keys, phone, small makeup bag, eyedrops/contact case, supplies for that time of the month, masks and sanitizer, chargers, etc. I might downsize to a smaller bag for a smaller outing if I don't need everything, but I like having everything.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:27 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I don't really agree that all you need to carry is "wallet, phone, sunglasses or driving glasses, keys and maybe a lipstick." Many people carry a lot of other items and I should say these are all reasonably important: reading gasses, medications (Tylenol, Dramamine, and reflux/upset stomach stuff), Kleenex, lists, pen and paper, checkbook, sanitizer, and other items.

I also think that carrying everything in your hands makes them more easily lost or dropped. I saw a woman carrying a set of jangling keys, a phone, a wallet, and a few other items in her hands. Talk about scattered.

I became weary of carrying a heavy, bulky bag. I stopped carrying a checkbook years ago. I carry almost no cash. Those are my reasons.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:33 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,078,719 times
I have 1 black bag I use everyday. I'll use it until I can't. Then I'll buy another black bag, etc.

I used to be more selective, and w/more variety when I was younger.

I have little cute fancy bags for when I would go to evening events, but now they just hang on the door for show.

**remember fanny packs, when we didn't feel like carrying a purse at all....

Old 03-31-2022, 10:14 AM

12,789 posts, read 15,017,507 times
I have quite a lot of purses by now...blacks, grey, & many colors. I don't switch mine out often though. I don't care much about matching w/ outfits. I do try to change to a color according to the season: Dark color bag for fall/winter & a nice pop of color for spring/summer.

It's pretty easy to take my stuff out & put it in the other. I don't weigh my bag down w/ a lot.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:17 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post

I'm able to include a small pocket calendar, (small) reading glasses, a very small bottle of aspirin, a shopping list, and checkbook & pen (inside my wallet), in a 9" x 6" crossbody (in addition to items previously listed). It will just barely take my sunglasses as well when I enter a store, but that's good enough. If I had a more minimalist crossbody, I'd have to leave out glasses other than the suns, but the rest of it would still fit. I keep sanitizer in the car, and also have a small bottle of aspirin in the glove box, so I really don't need to have another one in my purse.

But some people carry more makeup than others, and there are days, when I need to take a folder with me of documents for whatever purpose, in which case, I need a larger bag. But for everyday, I've cut down on the size of the bag, trying to fit into more compact ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty