Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 12:06 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

National shoe here is flip-flops. Even while riding motorcycles---

All the men and all the women wear them. Everywhere.

I wonder where OP is from that he is having this sandal issue.

My only issue with sandals is that you are more likely to trip, my doctor said. So I don't wear them going out but on the grounds and on the beach, that's all we wear.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:19 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
THIS is why I belong to CD. I'm nearly 65 and I had no idea that men weren't supposed to wear sandals or flip flops. What are you supposed to wear at the beach? Or river hiking? Or just around town when it's 115 degrees? I wear shorts and sandals.

Reeeally comfortable sandals.

And Uggs in the winter. Sometimes with shorts.

I guess I'm just not socially acceptable...

Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
THIS is why I belong to CD. I'm nearly 65 and I had no idea that men weren't supposed to wear sandals or flip flops. What are you supposed to wear at the beach? Or river hiking? Or just around town when it's 115 degrees? I wear shorts and sandals.

Reeeally comfortable sandals.

And Uggs in the winter. Sometimes with shorts.

I guess I'm just not socially acceptable...
Uggs?! They have Uggs for men?

Hey, fwiw, I don't support the anti-socks-with-sandals prejudice. It really depends on the style of sandal. IMO Birks were made to be worn with or without socks; with in winter, for sure. With thick enough wool socks, you can wear Birks in the snow. And various Euro-sandal styles, as I mentioned above, are fine with socks. Certain other styles, as well.

So, you live in Phoenix, I take it, or Tucson, Jamies? Just a wild guess. Enjoy your sandals!

Old 09-29-2021, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Why are people so concerned about what other people think of their clothing choices, or so judgmental about others' clothing choices, especially something so inconsequential as footwear?

Honestly, I don't go around checking out people's shoes.
People who care so much about what others wear will for sure try to get their children, their siblings, their S.O., and their friends to dress as that very person pleases rather than let them please themselves. They can say that it’s not presentable, normal, presentable, etc, or can say they are not giving others a good image. Foot shaming on men online is rampant as such.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr44c3iqqs View Post
People who care so much about what others wear will for sure try to get their children, their siblings, their S.O., and their friends to dress as that very person pleases rather than let them please themselves. They can say that it’s not presentable, normal, presentable, etc, or can say they are not giving others a good image. Foot shaming on men online is rampant as such.
These people either need to:

a) mind their own business

or

b) get a life of their own

There are so many more important things in life to expend mental energy on than someone's fashion choices.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:29 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Is there a specific situation that you're talking about? Generally, people should be able to wear what they want, but I can envision a situation where a woman might suggest to her boyfriend not to wear cheap rubber flip flops to her cousin's church wedding or to buy a pumice stone because his feet look like hooves.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-29-2021 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 02:30 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Here in the U.S., most people can afford more than one pair of shoes, so they might have more 'fixed' ideas about what is appropriate footwear, and what isn't.

For example, wearing dressy sandals with dresses or dressy wear but more casual sandals for everything else, or business casual shoes for work, unless you work in a more formal setting and need more formal shoes, etc.

My favorite 'type' of shoes are fishermen style sandals. In warm weather, I wear them without socks. In colder weather, I wear them with socks. In BAD weather, I wear I wear closed toe shoes. No one likes wet feet in the winter.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Uggs?! They have Uggs for men?

So, you live in Phoenix, I take it, or Tucson, Jamies? Just a wild guess. Enjoy your sandals!
My husband has Uggs and wears them. They were developed by surfers. Guys around here wear them. Just so you know, they are perfect on your feet even when it is 80 degrees out.

Old 09-30-2021, 05:06 AM

7,906 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Nobody should wear sandals with socks. Sometimes I see hipster type men wearing sandals with jeans or business casual outfits and it looks a little creepy. Guys should probably stick to wearing sandals only when they are wearing shorts, unless there is a medical reason. Other than that I'd say anything goes, but please cut your nails if they are open toed.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:44 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Some people out there say that guys must never wear flip flops, and others say that guys must never wear sandals at all. Some women said online like on Facebook or on Girls Ask Guys that they don’t let their husband to wear sandals! Ugh!!! This crap makes me puke, like how the heck does this philosophy actually have its place on Earth!?!
Really? That little bit of silliness makes you puke????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.