Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

After forty I could no longer wear slip-on flats unless there is an additional strap across the top of the foot. They just come right off. It's not a good "look."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 06:13 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
I have a wide foot at the toe area like another poster and cannot wear narrow shoes. I don't even bother buying slip-on flats for that reason--moccasins, Sperry topsider type shoes, ballet shoes or anything similar that's a slip-on. I don't really like flats anyway. The cutesy little flats that high school girls wear have no support or cushioning in them. In the summer I wear a sport sandal that has an arch support and cross-over Velcro closures that I can adjust across my instep or else I wear dressier sandals with Velcro closures or Mary Jane shoes. NEVER flats. I don't wear flip flops or mules.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
I have a moderately narrow heel and have found that Anne Klein ballet flats do well for me. I also have a pair of Nautica ballet flats that are okay. Journee pointed toe flats need the heel grip but otherwise work. Sperry topsiders, I wear with socks and if I use two thin pairs, then I'm good.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Let's see if I can remember some of the brands that tend to have narrow heels--Naot, Rieker, Ecco. I have a pair of cloth maryjanes that are at least twenty years old but they still fit perfectly. They have a strap and the heel is narrow enough. By Rieker.

Birkenstocks might fit, any good sandal without a back. For clogs, Stegmann boiled wool clogs are great for winter and super comfy because they are carefully made to fit, No backs either. Stegmann makes all sorts of styles besides the clogs and they are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

If you get into stylish, very expensive shoes like Ferragamo, they run narrow so they may be a good bet too.

I think the problem could be that most shoes now have gone downhill in quality and are made in China or Brazil or some mass produced place that doesn't even care. Narrow heels have always been a problem but I've never seen it as bad as it is now. Stick with the expensive shoes--even if you can only afford one pair of shoes!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2021, 05:03 PM

329 posts, read 224,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Let's see if I can remember some of the brands that tend to have narrow heels--Naot, Rieker, Ecco. I have a pair of cloth maryjanes that are at least twenty years old but they still fit perfectly. They have a strap and the heel is narrow enough. By Rieker.

Birkenstocks might fit, any good sandal without a back. For clogs, Stegmann boiled wool clogs are great for winter and super comfy because they are carefully made to fit, No backs either. Stegmann makes all sorts of styles besides the clogs and they are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.

If you get into stylish, very expensive shoes like Ferragamo, they run narrow so they may be a good bet too.

I think the problem could be that most shoes now have gone downhill in quality and are made in China or Brazil or some mass produced place that doesn't even care. Narrow heels have always been a problem but I've never seen it as bad as it is now. Stick with the expensive shoes--even if you can only afford one pair of shoes!!!!!!!!!
I, too, have noticed that heels are being made wider, especially in dressy shoes, and I don't have a narrower than average heel; my foot is a regular medium width. I do think the quality of shoes, most of which are made in China, has gone down, and I also agree with the possibility that shoes are being made to fit heavier people. However, another thought came to mind; I wonder if some manufacturers are taking into consideration the fact that people in the trans community might be buying these shoes, specifically, male-to-female customers.

I hope I haven't committed any taboos by suggesting such a thing, but I do think it's a possibility. From what I gather, it can be a hassle having shoes custom made or finding specialty shops, and these options are usually more costly than purchasing shoes from the mass producers.

Last edited by JulieThruTheGlass; 04-10-2021 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-10-2021, 06:25 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,667,073 times
Narrow width shoes with heels that also fit have been so difficult to find for several years now.
When I was younger, most shoes were quality leather, many made in Italy, and I could find shoes to fit (AA with an AAAA heel.

I have had some luck with Talbots but they are selling fewer Narrows, it seems. I have walked right out of Easy Spirit shoes, but they were really comfortable several years ago. When I tried to replace them, they just were not of the same quality (flimsier).

I don’t think I know any younger women with narrow feet now - really strange.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:37 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think the problem could be that most shoes now have gone downhill in quality and are made in China or Brazil or some mass produced place
Poor quality control. I've had the experience of buying two pairs of shoes, identical brand, identical style but different colors since I was undecided. They fit entirely differently. I'm not alone in that experience if you read reviews, which I always do.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:16 PM

I bought a pair of heel cups at Amazon and they seem to work, at least in one pair of shoes so far. Not the most comfortable since it's sticky silicone but worth trying. A tad wide still for one foot. Bottom part is padded if you want more shock absorption.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:28 PM

Bought two pairs of these casual flats. They fit my narrow heels so if you are looking for something similar you might like these.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/ke...ctiveColor=061

Old 05-06-2021, 07:31 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Bought two pairs of these casual flats. They fit my narrow heels so if you are looking for something similar you might like these.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/ke...ctiveColor=061
Hi - I looked at these just now. I noticed the shoe itself says medium width. Do you have narrow heels but still take a medium width shoe? Or is it quite a "narrow" medium width?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty