Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 09:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,825,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Try Costco. Costco generally sells at very good prices by the way, last year‘s frames. And last year I did get a larger pair of rectangular glasses and they look really kind of sharp. But I get new glasses every couple of years.

I had an eye issue that was having me go to an ophthalmologist. I actually stumped him he had no idea what it was. Anyway, they sell eyeglasses there. And I told the woman I got mine from Costco and she said here’s the only thing with Costco. If you have a tendency to break your frames, they cannot get replacement parts for old frames. But if you buy a pair of frames from her she can guarantee you that she’ll be able to get parts for at least for one year. I’ve said this before and other people say that that’s absolutely wrong. I don’t know.

But here’s what I do know the last time I purchased glasses at my ophthalmologist, my glasses were almost $1000. At Costco they’re like 200. And since I generally take my glasses off and put them on the table I don’t go around breaking them. And even if I do, it’s still cheaper to get a new pair at Costco
Costco has great prices, but they seem to have a very small selection of frames for smaller faces. The last time I looked, I went to 3 Costcos and ended up going to the optician because Costco simply had nothing that would work on my face. That is not to say that I haven’t had luck. I have one pair that is very funky that I got as a single vision transition, but it was just that the following year for a progressive update, they had nothing.

Warby Parker now seems to be getting more of its frames in smaller sizes, although progressives are about $350 for stronger prescriptions, IIRC. If you live in a larger city, they do have physical locations. I do really like that you can get many of the frames in narrow to wide sizes, and the prices are very reasonable for single vision. I think it is $130 or so for a stronger prescription in the acetate frames and a little more if you want the blue light blocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 09:48 AM

12,587 posts, read 8,393,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Where does it end?! Just saw some woman on a news show and the huge thick rimmed glasses must have taken up more than half of her face.

Does this really add to anyone's appearance, unless they are really bad looking and it conceals more of their face, but for most people- maybe too much.

I see people in these massive glasses and try to picture them without glasses or with more proportionate rim sizes and styles and they would look so much better without the harsh lines obscuring their features.
It ends just like it ended in the 70s. When a critical mass of people that society deems of not being of the attractive class picks up the fashion then the style for the fashionable will take a 180 turn

Old 12-06-2020, 09:58 AM

20,020 posts, read 12,537,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Wearing glasses is practical. Wearing jeans is practical. Wearing a raincoat is practical. BUT you can be practical AND fashionable if you want but you don't have to. It's common sense IMO...AND super silly to make issue of it.

I don't wear glasses.....BUT I do wear fashionable sunglasses that are very practical & keep my eyes protected from the sun. If you don't want to be fashionable no one is saying you have to be. There are lots of available styles for all kinds of ppl & face shapes...just like jeans. It sounds like you just want something to complain about IMO.

I don't like the large lenses on glasses for ppl either....ha...BUT....
Well since "statement" glasses are the fashion, as others have pointed out it is more difficult to find other choices. To find a decent looking high quality rimless, semi-rimless or wire frame you have to hunt, get fewer choices and then spend a lot of money. It was considered a breakthrough when bendable and featherweight titanium frames were made so they would be lighter and less of an imposition on our faces and now we are pushed back into clunky plastic glasses. It feels like innovation went on the back burner because some designers and manufacturers decided plastic was cheaper, more disposable and people would buy five pairs instead of one or two.

When something becomes very trendy there are definitely fewer choices among the other styles- jeans or boots or dresses, etc. Rx eyeglasses are a bigger deal than those things because they are used for medical purposes and many of us have to wear them 24/7 in order to function.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,162,767 times
Quote:
Wearing glasses is practical. Wearing jeans is practical. Wearing a raincoat is practical. BUT you can be practical AND fashionable if you want but you don't have to. It's common sense IMO...AND super silly to make issue of it.

I don't wear glasses.....BUT I do wear fashionable sunglasses that are very practical & keep my eyes protected from the sun. If you don't want to be fashionable no one is saying you have to be. There are lots of available styles for all kinds of ppl & face shapes...just like jeans. Do you just want something to be mad about with your wheelchair thing?

edit: I don't like the large lenses on glasses for ppl either.....BUT....
Yes, of course a person who wears glasses can be fashionable. Who said otherwise? (Except the people who pointed out that one doesn't always have a full choice of which glasses one can get.) It's the people who can see perfectly well and still wear glasses because they think they "look nice" that give glasses a weird place in society. Yes, glasses have become fashionable because people need them and they figure they should be able to wear a style they like, just like those who are mobility-impaired can buy fancy canes or colorful wheelchairs or someone with an injury can decorate a cast. That doesn't make these medical devices a fashion accessory; rather, the devices have become more interesting *because* they're essential.

People who wear them by necessity rather than choice are always told they should do this or that with their glasses or get rid of the glasses because "but you'd be so attractive if..." or "don't you think you'd look nicer with contacts?"... meanwhile somebody else puts glasses on for "funsies" rather than necessity and then it's all "oh you look so cute!" And then takes them off again when they "don't feel like" wearing them or don't want that particular "look"... others don't have a choice.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:54 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,506,623 times
Silhouette still makes rimless glasses. I note that they also make rimmed glasses now. But a full service optical shop should offer these to you. And frankly, it is not as if there are tons of styles of these. There are a few lens shapes and varying earpieces. You give up some style options when you wear rimless.

But the Silhouettes are the first glasses I’ve ever worn that sit securely on my nose, and that add no weight to my face. I have chosen them for myself for over a decade now.

Wear what you want. And you don’t have to understand other people’s choices. It is a free country. And after all, fashions change.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:11 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,063,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
the black framed "Buddy Holly style" is a classic look , I think those never go out of style

people use to make fun of them and call them "Birth Control Glasses" but now it's cool to wear, even ladies wear it

looks good with a "crew cut" or business cut hair style
That's not the Buddy Holly style. They aren't slanty enough.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:31 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,690,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

People who wear them by necessity rather than choice are always told they should do this or that with their glasses or get rid of the glasses because "but you'd be so attractive if..." or "don't you think you'd look nicer with contacts?"... meanwhile somebody else puts glasses on for "funsies" rather than necessity and then it's all "oh you look so cute!" And then takes them off again when they "don't feel like" wearing them or don't want that particular "look"... others don't have a choice.

I totally don't see why it matters tho. Everybody is able to wear the glasses they need or want. My grandparents never have a problem & my granddad has worn glasses as far back as I can remember. He doesn't wear fashionable jeans either...ha.

edit: ofc you are going to think about your needs 1st & what works best for you & your glasses....what's the issue with what somebody else is wearing? It makes no sense to me.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 12-07-2020 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-07-2020, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,894,349 times
Quote:

My point was about small glasses in particular. When they are in style, whether they're fashionable or not, they may not be practical at all for many prescriptions.

When fashion trends override practicality, it's an issue for many people.

Old 12-07-2020, 04:22 PM

20,020 posts, read 12,537,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Silhouette still makes rimless glasses. I note that they also make rimmed glasses now. But a full service optical shop should offer these to you. And frankly, it is not as if there are tons of styles of these. There are a few lens shapes and varying earpieces. You give up some style options when you wear rimless.

But the Silhouettes are the first glasses I’ve ever worn that sit securely on my nose, and that add no weight to my face. I have chosen them for myself for over a decade now.

Wear what you want. And you don’t have to understand other people’s choices. It is a free country. And after all, fashions change.
Silhouettes are state of the art, imo. I hope they haven't suffered from the fashion move away from rimless, and keep making them. I like that you can customize them and even add a colored ring to the rim to add some flair. I noticed they offer the larger lenses now too but also the traditional ones. I just really like the sleek look of a quality rimless or semi-rimless frame especially on men.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:41 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,506,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Silhouettes are state of the art, imo. I hope they haven't suffered from the fashion move away from rimless, and keep making them. I like that you can customize them and even add a colored ring to the rim to add some flair. I noticed they offer the larger lenses now too but also the traditional ones. I just really like the sleek look of a quality rimless or semi-rimless frame especially on men.
I like the look of them on me!

I really like the stable nose pieces. Most glasses slip down my nose. But Silhouettes don’t. And the rimless lenses are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty