Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 02:44 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Even if the coat is nice, if it is going to be workable for really cold weather, it has to be clunker like to keep you warm.

I don't like wearing clunkers and just tolerate it out of necessity in the winter.

The trend now is lightweight down.....really warm without any of the bulk. You can get a super high fill power & have hardly any weight at all. Also wool can be really warm without being clunky.

AND....layering works really nice to keep you extra warm.... or toasty linings that you can zip in or out. Scarfs too. IMO we can be warm AND fashionable....no "clunk".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 07:39 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,405,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
The trend now is lightweight down.....really warm without any of the bulk. You can get a super high fill power & have hardly any weight at all. Also wool can be really warm without being clunky.

AND....layering works really nice to keep you extra warm.... or toasty linings that you can zip in or out. Scarfs too. IMO we can be warm AND fashionable....no "clunk".
Just curious, have you spent a wicked winter up north ? Here is my weather. Don’t want to go out there tonight, yet it’s still not proper winter weather:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...e-gws-wiz-serp

Last edited by FrozenI69; 11-23-2020 at 08:13 PM..

Old 11-24-2020, 04:38 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post

Just curious, have you spent a wicked winter up north ? Here is my weather. Don’t want to go out there tonight, yet it’s still not proper winter weather:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...e-gws-wiz-serp
^No doubt...hahhahaha

(I grew up next to Lake Michigan, lol... I don't miss it! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKxsOlzuH0k

Old 11-24-2020, 06:14 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
Quote:

A lightweight down would be nicer to wear for sure. You are a California girl . As the others have replied, clunkers are the only option for brutal winters. Light down will find you frozen on the roadside.

Clunkers are a necessity (like water on a desert hike) for a brutal winter. An unattractive necessity.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
^No doubt...hahhahaha

(I grew up next to Lake Michigan, lol... I don't miss it! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKxsOlzuH0k
This video explains it .
Lightweight down would leave me numb in the core of winter. I have a heavy Duluth trading jacket. Says it can handle temperatures down to -35 F. It won’t get that cold here, but in Duluth, that’s probably a yearly thing.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:38 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
A lightweight down would be nicer to wear for sure. You are a California girl . As the others have replied, clunkers are the only option for brutal winters. Light down will find you frozen on the roadside.

Clunkers are a necessity (like water on a desert hike) for a brutal winter. An unattractive necessity.

Well...I was talking about my post where I said my favorite temperatures for fashion were between 50 to 90. I love cold & rainy to sunny & warm but ofc I wasn't talking about a "brutal winter"...ha. I've never lived in that kind of climate.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Well...I was talking about my post where I said my favorite temperatures for fashion were between 50 to 90. I love cold & rainy to sunny & warm but ofc I wasn't talking about a "brutal winter"...ha. I've never lived in that kind of climate.
I keep telling myself a snowy Christmas morning and ice skating is worth the bitter winters .

Old 11-24-2020, 12:13 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,279 times
Fall/Winter temps. I love my boots!

Old 11-24-2020, 12:17 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
About 45-50 degrees. Jeans, a turtleneck and a lightweight pullover sweater. I love autumn!

Old 11-25-2020, 12:35 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
80 degrees = shorts, tanks, sandals. It's easy. Less laundry. And it weighs 20-30 lbs less than all the stuff I have to put on when it's -20*F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty