Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:01 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
It wasn't until I was finished shopping around for clothes to buy only to find out the fitting rooms weren't open due to COVID-19. I'm one of those people who won't buy shirts/pants/shorts unless I try it on first. I even told an employee this. I found out that the fitting rooms won't be open until my State's Governor opens Phase 5 of the reopening plan.

I ended up shopping at another retailer online where if the clothes don't fit right, I can take it back.
I suspect that you've not worked at a clothing store, or clothing department of one of the big box stores.

Our granddaughter does, and has come home with some horror stories of how folks leave the fitting rooms.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:20 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I suspect that you've not worked at a clothing store, or clothing department of one of the big box stores.

Our granddaughter does, and has come home with some horror stories of how folks leave the fitting rooms.
YES!! When I couldn't do my former job anymore I started doing merchandising and had several stores - DISGUSTING what the employees would find sometimes in there! What is wrong with people?????

Old 06-29-2020, 04:55 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I worked at one for a short time, Macy's, years ago. The things in fitting rooms is disgusting. Used diapers, people using the bathroom, what amounts to it seems they cleaned out a giant bag full of garbage, used condoms and how to put it "paper towels with biological material from sex", etc, etc.

Truly disgusting how some people are.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:31 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I work for a major retailer and our fitting rooms are closed. If any item is returned, we do not put it back on the selling floor for 2 days. We have an organized system of racks in the back labeled by day- "Monday Quarantine-Return to Floor on Wednesday". It's worked pretty well so far.
That sounds like a pretty good system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hmm, seem to recall that the "cheap washer/dryer shrinks clothing" myth was debunked fairly well on your other thread. Either the fabric was cheap or you weren't selecting the appropriate cycle/time for those machines.
I had selected the right cycle & if stores like even some Nordstrom articles of clothing are considered cheap, then oh well. I'll just do the best I can w/ what I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I worked at one for a short time, Macy's, years ago. The things in fitting rooms is disgusting. Used diapers, people using the bathroom, what amounts to it seems they cleaned out a giant bag full of garbage, used condoms and how to put it "paper towels with biological material from sex", etc, etc.

Woah, never found any of those disgusting this back in my retail days! Things have definitely changed since I worked retail, which I'm not surprised about because people probably are more disgusting & thoughtless nowadays. I used to work at Macy's (lingerie dept), Guess, & this clothing boutique called Vertigo.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post

Never have... Now that you mention it, I can imagine the disgusting things stupid people would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
YES!! When I couldn't do my former job anymore I started doing merchandising and had several stores - DISGUSTING what the employees would find sometimes in there! What is wrong with people?????
I had never thought about until LarsMac mentioned it. I thought in high end stores, there'd be cameras in there for legal purposes only if someone was suspected of shoplifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

It's sad...

Old 06-29-2020, 09:57 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
I used to work retail, and it was amazing what people returned and the state of clothing left on racks. Found a bra on the rack that was clearly used. Someone returning purses with random receipts. Merchandise with old packaging because it’s likely been sitting in someone’s closet for who knows how many years. Brands from clothes not even from the store or items returned that were clearly worn. Never mind tags on the floor of the fitting rooms. (Yes shoplifting was a problem at times.)

I am one that likes to try things on, but I can understand why with current times even organized fitting rooms are still unhygienic. You really don’t know what people may have had or how many people tried on the same item before you. It’s not something I thought about then, but I can see it now. I don’t want to second guess these things forever, but for now, it makes you think.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:58 AM

30,157 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
It wasn't until I was finished shopping around for clothes to buy only to find out the fitting rooms weren't open due to COVID-19. I'm one of those people who won't buy shirts/pants/shorts unless I try it on first. I even told an employee this. I found out that the fitting rooms won't be open until my State's Governor opens Phase 5 of the reopening plan.

I ended up shopping at another retailer online where if the clothes don't fit right, I can take it back.

I certainly would not call protecting public's health dumbest thing ever. You don't understand why they are doing this?

Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM

8,231 posts, read 3,490,786 times
You still can't return clothes here. People are losing a lot of money trying to buy clothes. Facebook marketplace is full of people trying to get some money back on things that didn't fit.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 AM

30,157 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You still can't return clothes here. People are losing a lot of money trying to buy clothes. Facebook marketplace is full of people trying to get some money back on things that didn't fit.

Perhaps wait until things go back to normal? I would not buy clothes knowing I cannot try them on or return them. But myself I am not going to indoor businesses unless its essential. I don't care if they are open or not. And going into a small fitting room. No way.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:47 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:

Our stores (NJ) aren't allowing clothes to be returned in addition to fitting rooms being closed. I had to buy my grandson a bathing suit. I wasn't sure if he needed a men's small or medium. I ended up with the medium figuring I'd rather it be a little big then too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Store fitting rooms not being open is totally logical during this time.

What's odd to me though is that they allow returns when you order clothes online, so God knows what people did to the clothes when they got them at home. They tried them on then too & probably (hopefully not intentionally coughed/sneezed) at some point. Again, no intentionally directly on the clothing, but you know how people just randomly cough/sneeze anyway.
I'm surprised online shopping takes returns because as you say, we don't know what sick people are trying them on and sending them back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Am I the only one who washes new clothes when I bring them home? Always have.
I was everything because I used to work in retail. You wouldn't believe what people do with clothes. They leave them all over, some have been under shelving, in the bathrooms, on the dirty floor. You just never know where employees got the clothes from that are hanging on the racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Target's dressing rooms are still closed and for awhile you couldn't return clothing items. I wonder how their clothing sales dropped. Imagine trying to buy a bathing suit?

I took my granddaughter to Kohl's Saturday to buy her some new clothes for summer camp and their dressing rooms were closed also. She's had a growth spurt and I despise having to return things. So we found a quiet corner and she tried the new items over her existing shorts.
Aren't you in Jersey too? Fitting rooms are closed, plus we can't return clothes either.

Target's clothes aren't cheap either to buy and take a chance that they don't fit.

Quote:
Never have... Now that you mention it, I can imagine the disgusting things stupid people would do.

I had never thought about until LarsMac mentioned it. I thought in high end stores, there'd be cameras in there for legal purposes only if someone was suspected of shoplifting.

It's sad...
They probably have them in the fitting room but cameras in the fitting room stalls would be against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty