Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 06:39 PM

729 posts, read 535,846 times

Advertisements

Why do women wear makeup?
It's simple really to understand. You are using the wrong term. You should be using the word warpaint. Now you know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 06:53 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,512,081 times
A lot of women do actually look better with makeup on. That’s not to say that they are ugly without any on, as there are tons of women who look great without any. The trick is in figuring out when and how to apply it. Too much of it can be a bad thing.

Just my 2 cents as a guy.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:28 PM

20,971 posts, read 28,504,171 times
Because we like it and it makes us feel good. I wear little to no make up these past couple of years because I have seasonal allergies and my eyes get red and itch. I am not allergic to any make up. That being said my mom said less is more. so today I wore a light eye shadow, a thin coat of black mascara, some powered foundation a little blush and it brightened my face instead of looking pale and drab. when i was younger I wore a lot more make up in fact I would never leave the house without make up in my younger days.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:09 PM

6,480 posts, read 4,013,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
As long as they know how to apply it correctly, makeup definitely enhances a woman's looks and makes her stand out in a crowd. The majority of women will look better with makeup on...there's no denying that.
So, probably, would the majority of men. Let's be honest.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:18 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,219,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I used to wear makeup when I was younger, both in school and then in the workforce, but as I am blessed with a peaches and cream complexion and no blotches, I wear very little foundation as an adult (high school was different, but as it turns out, my wearing of foundation in high school helped preserve my skin from the sun).

In my opinion, lightly applied makeup, from eyebrow plumper, to a thin coat of dark mascara, some powdered blush, and then lipstick, usually brightens a woman's face. Subtlety is key.

However, the trend now seems to be thick, fake eyelashes, covered in globs of mascara, lipstick that does look like thick axle grease, and heavily contoured makeup. Many women who would otherwise be beautiful, look like clowns, in my opinion.

When I acted in plays we had to wear more makeup so that people in the audience could make out our features (men and women), but up close, it looks awful. Makeup that used to be worn for dark dance venues, is now seen up close and personal. Here's an example of a woman who's makeup makes her look fake. It gets in the way of seeing what she really looks like:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Here's makeup mostly done well (don't like the eyeshadow, though), on a gorgeous woman, who is not wearing fake eyelashes, and whose lipstick isn't applied thickly:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1
The first link looks heavily airbrushed or put through a filter.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
The first example is ridiculous, I would never wear that much make-up. The second example is pretty close to what I would wear, although the eye liner is a bit dark.
Yes the first example is disingenuous because this is an image of Manuela mosca , an Instagram influencer who is a model and fashion designer with her own boutique . She is not your average person walking around, she glams up FOR selfies FOR Instagram and is professionally photographed and some shots are airbrushed.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Because we like it and it makes us feel good. I wear little to no make up these past couple of years because I have seasonal allergies and my eyes get red and itch. I am not allergic to any make up. That being said my mom said less is more. so today I wore a light eye shadow, a thin coat of black mascara, some powered foundation a little blush and it brightened my face instead of looking pale and drab. when i was younger I wore a lot more make up in fact I would never leave the house without make up in my younger days.
Seriously! why should you have to justify yourself .

Old 06-22-2020, 09:14 PM

24,154 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm male, but I was having a conversation about this with others and the answers they gave weren't satisfactory.

On some occasions a get how it could help add blush to the skin and cover a bruise or whatever, but beyond that (in my humble opinion) it turns into a clown show.

Every woman I met has been more attractive to guys I know without lipstick or heavy eye shadow or whatever else there is.

I'm not saying everyone is a natural beauty, and brushing hair or making yourself clean is good, but at some level masking your face with dyes and paint becomes off-putting.

I knew someone cute, but when she dressed up and made herself up It became distasteful.

I get doing it if you are in a theater play or something but most guys I speak to share my opinion that lipstick and whatnot detract from a women's overall aesthetic.
You have some very extreme feelings about make-up.

I would suggest this - choose women who don't wear makeup. The natural type. Some well-scrubbed women don't wear makeup. Do not harras the vast majority of women who wear some makeup. Or a lot of it. It's their face and their choice. Not yours.

This is very simple.

There are several types of women who don't wear makeup at all.

1, The Natural Type - Hippie-ish women who like being "fresh-faced and well-scrubbed". Not many women choose to eschew these days. Makeup use has a lot to do with what is stylish. You would have had a lot better of a chance finding an attractive, non-makeup wearing woman in the late 60s - early 70s. Even then, not all when avoided makeup. I was in middle school and all of my friends loved makeup. So, is time travel an option for you, because Makeup is having a bit of a"moment" right now. The "Natural Look" is just not "in".

Makeup, in modern times, has ALWAYS been stylish. By modern, I mean from the 1920s on. Before the 1920s "nice women" did not wear make-up. Or much of it.

From the 1920s on, makeup has been fashionable. Different types, but the basics of mascara, lip coloring, rouge, or later blush, are and have been staples. I know women who don't wear foundation or just wear a tinted moisturizer. Some women opt for natural colors. Or don't wear a lot of eye shadow.

2. Another type of woman who doesn't wear make-up? Women who don't care much about their appearance.

3. Ultra religious women. Are you seeking an Amish woman? Consider joining an ultra-strict religion. Holiness Apostolic women don't wear makeup. I think Seventh Day Adventists also avoid makeup. Or is it jewelry. Catholic nuns also do not wear makeup. They have vows of chastity, though, which may be inconvenient for you.

The rest of the women wear makeup. AND - we do it FOR OUR SELVES. We are not seeking the opinions of MEN - or looking to please them.

Also, NOT ALL MEN AGREE WITH YOU. Many men find makeup attractive.
Maybe the men you spoke with do not represent all men. Just you, and your friends. Ever think about that? Maybe you are a group of men who has t

The beauty of the women in question doesn't matter. I'd say that "naturally beautiful women" probably wear more makeup than average and below-average women do. Beauty is also subjective though.

This has been my observation. It can be backed up by the fact that women in the entertainment field, on average, are embued with better appearance than those who are not.
Those women wear a lot of makeup.

You come across as controlling and judgmental. As a man, maybe you don't have a say in whether women wear makeup - or not. Have you thought about that?

Your "humble opinion" comes across as anything but humble, BTW. A "clown show'? Nice... You also hardly speak for the majority of men.

You come across as chauvinistic and entitled, two attributes that repel most women more than feces scented aftershave.

I'd also suggest that you take a really good look at yourself. And, not only your physical appearance. My very educated guess is that you have trouble with women and associate with men who are similar to you. Perhaps consider counseling.

Best of luck.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:34 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 2 days ago)

16,090 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

There are several types of women who don't wear makeup at all.

1, The Natural Type - Hippie-ish women who like being "fresh-faced and well-scrubbed". Not many women choose to eschew these days. Makeup use has a lot to do with what is stylish. You would have had a lot better of a chance finding an attractive, non-makeup wearing woman in the late 60s - early 70s. Even then, not all when avoided makeup. I was in middle school and all of my friends loved makeup. So, is time travel an option for you, because Makeup is having a bit of a"moment" right now. The "Natural Look" is just not "in".

Makeup, in modern times, has ALWAYS been stylish. By modern, I mean from the 1920s on. Before the 1920s "nice women" did not wear make-up. Or much of it.

From the 1920s on, makeup has been fashionable. Different types, but the basics of mascara, lip coloring, rouge, or later blush, are and have been staples. I know women who don't wear foundation or just wear a tinted moisturizer. Some women opt for natural colors. Or don't wear a lot of eye shadow.

2. Another type of woman who doesn't wear make-up? Women who don't care much about their appearance.

3. Ultra religious women. Are you seeking an Amish woman? Consider joining an ultra-strict religion. Holiness Apostolic women don't wear makeup. I think Seventh Day Adventists also avoid makeup. Or is it jewelry. Catholic nuns also do not wear makeup. They have vows of chastity, though, which may be inconvenient for you.

The rest of the women wear makeup. AND - we do it FOR OUR SELVES. We are not seeking the opinions of MEN - or looking to please them.
Nope. And thanks for stereotyping.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:39 PM

24,154 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nope. And thanks for stereotyping.
Anytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty