Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 06:56 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,076,560 times

Advertisements

I will no longer buy clothing online due to inconsistent sizing. I haven't had issues with quality of the purchases just the sizing. Not only do the sizes vary from company to company but even within one company there is a huge variation in size and fit between different items. I understand there are different styles/cut such as relaxed, regular/classic, slim cut, etc. But even if you pick something according to cut or style, you don't know how it will fit. The photographs don't always give a true view of the item either. The reviews help, but they're all over the map too. One person loves the item and another one hates it. The person who claims it runs large and that you should size down might like tighter fitting clothes so someone ordering it might size down and end up finding it's too tight. Forget it.

My new strategy is to examine the item in the store and try it on there. Sometimes I wait and will order it online when discounts are offered, and then if I change my mind I can return the item to the store instead of shipping it back. Most of the online companies that I like (LL Bean, Lands End, Eddie Bauer) have stores in my area where I can go and see the items in person. I've also found several stores in my area that offer great lower priced clothing and I've been going to these stores rather than putting up with the disappointing online shopping experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 09:25 PM

1,149 posts, read 937,265 times
Me too. I still prefer to go into a store and search for deals and actually see and feel the product I may purchase.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:52 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,615,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Me too. I still prefer to go into a store and search for deals and actually see and feel the product I may purchase.

Same here. If I find what I want in a local store I will drive there to get it. I use internet to research what I want to buy, especially reading reviews. I will order online if not available locally, or if price is a lot better. I like returning something to a store and get a refund right then.

One of my recent purchases in a store was two used steel frying pans in great condition when I found them at Good Will Store. High quality and less then $10 each. Cleaned them and they are almost like new.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:42 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,355,927 times
I also dislike online shopping, especially for clothing. Despite the size charts, it is rare that I luck out and something I order online actually fits. Then I have to pack it up, send it back and wait for my refund or exchange. I'd rather buy in the stores but some don't sell petites in the brick & mortar store and have to be ordered online.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:56 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,603,011 times
Like lots of other posts, I don't like online shopping that much for clothes or fun stuff I like to shop for in person BUT......I just broke down & bought a super cute denim pencil skirt with a little slit from Nordstroms for my new job. I don't want to have to pack it up & return it.........

I totally want the stores to open.......but....patience.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:00 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,603,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I also dislike online shopping, especially for clothing. Despite the size charts, it is rare that I luck out and something I order online actually fits. Then I have to pack it up, send it back and wait for my refund or exchange. I'd rather buy in the stores but some don't sell petites in the brick & mortar store and have to be ordered online.

Lots of boutiques & designers just carry sizes 0-10.....if you're shorter than average & really need a petite size, you're kinda stuck. I'm just tall enough that I don't need a petite size in my length..........but I have a friend that has a very hard time finding her clothes.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:58 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,373,202 times
Also, in addition to men's sizes larger than XXL often only being available in big & tall sizes, men's XS is often only available in slim fit with many brands.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:16 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,264,946 times
I work for a luxury department store and at least 70% of returns are online purchases. Why bother shopping online when it will probably get returned anyway. Doesn't look like you're saving that much time.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:39 PM

10,624 posts, read 12,167,534 times
I never buy clothing online. I know I'm hard to fit. So why put myself through the aggravation.

The only things I buy online are things I can't get at a local store, or gifts going to people not in my area.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:54 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,059,540 times
I try to limit online shopping for specific things I can’t find in the store. Unless I purchase from a company with clothes I’m already familiar with, sizing is a hit or miss. Plus, half the time when something arrives at my door, it doesn’t quite live up to expectations: tunics too short, pants too long, dresses too thin/see through. Never-mind returns.

Nonetheless, post pandemic, the benefits of shopping in stores wanes with backed up/limited inventory, lines in and outside, and being unable to try on and return clothes. Who knows if shopping in stores will ever be the same... .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty