Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 10:17 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For me, it's not so much that other people would notice (though they might) It's that I am working from home. I wouldn't go to work unshowered and in my pajamas. It puts me in a mindset to work (and be at work) when I have taken those steps and haven't just rolled out of bed and opened up my laptop.
I am with you here. I like having a routine, and showering and dressing makes me feel human and ready for work. I would feel nasty and yucky all day just rolling out of bed. It's a great time to experiment with new looks too, as if you find a hair style or lip color that looks horrid on you - you don't have to feel self conscious all day and you know that style you were curious about - it just aint for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 11:15 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've been in Zoom meetings and seen people in, shall we say, less than stylish clothing; old t-shirts, wrinkled dress shirts, tank tops, and in one case what clearly looked to be pajama tops. (Our dress code is primarily business casual and on certain occasions a suit and tie for men.)

Offline I suppose people can wear whatever they want when they're working at home. But I think a modicum of good dress is needed for online meetings. Also seems that most women are dressed a bit more appropriately than most men, though that just might be the people I have to deal with.

It also makes me wonder about the talking heads on TV news. Are they sitting there with a shirt and tie on (many are not), but in their underwear and slippers below the desk, out of camera view?

Anyway, I just wear a simple, pressed, clean dress shirt for online. How about you? Anything you do different -- or the same?
Generally I work in a business casual environment.... which means dress shirt and pants that aren't jeans. I'll be damned if I'm dressing up to work from home and most people seem to be taking that approach. I've gone to more casual but better than I normally dress on a Saturday which is an old t-shirt that probably has holes in it. Usually I'll wear something with a collar, polo, flannel, more of a casual button down instead of a dress shirt. If I haven't done laundry and I'm down to ratty t-shirts since I don't exactly own a bunch of polos and casual button downs then I'll throw a dress shirt on.

Do wear pants. I had a colleague on fortunately before we started walking around in a blouse and uh, yeah, really short booty shorts at the most. Camera wasn't angled high enough so when she walked off to grab something off the kitchen counter she did have nice legs.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:13 PM

829 posts, read 629,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

It also makes me wonder about the talking heads on TV news. Are they sitting there with a shirt and tie on (many are not), but in their underwear and slippers below the desk, out of camera view?
?
I worked from home before the Zoom era and the conference calls were just audio. I got myself ready for work in the same way I always did, complete with hair and makeup BUT I mostly tee shirts and activewear shorts in summer, pants in winter.

As for the talking heads, I would doubt the network news people are sitting in their underwear - too much risk of something going wrong. Then they might BECOME the news. LOL The other day, I initially thought Gayle King's top had ridden up and was showing about 3 inches of her midriff. Then I realized the top she was wearing was very close to the color of her skin - but it WAS a band of material. I was apparently not the only one, as in one segment, she said someone had sent a message telling them to let Gayle know to pull her top down because skin was showing. She assured us she would always be totally clothed.

I do remember way, way back in the day, the people on the Match Game, I believe it was - all stood up to show what they were wearing on the bottom. Seated, they all looked impeccably dressed, but their bottom halves were far more casual. Years ago before the advent of anchors and weather people standing, occasionally we'd see the morning news people on one station were wearing jeans with their suit/tie.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:27 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I’m on conference calls all day, but we don’t use video.

I wear loungewear. Joggers or leggings, a tee shirt and my boot slippers.

And I wear a bra

Old 04-24-2020, 08:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I tried to dress for work. I felt more like working in business casual.

Also there was always the chance a customer needed me to go check out a problem.

I'm not teleworking anymore. I go into the office. My pothead, yelling, cussing neighbor makes it unpleasant to be sitting at my kitchen table. (Duplex)

Old 04-24-2020, 08:54 PM

300 posts, read 148,841 times
Can't stand our two egomaniac managers (one male one female) who looked like derelicts of society even on week one of the lockdown. They seem to relish in the sycophants laughing and smiling at their corny jokes about why they look so bad. Sorry, if you're not properly groomed for a meeting whether in person or WebEx I find it off-putting. But they disgust me even when they do manage to groom themselves for meetings, which indicates a more trivial problem, which I won't bore you with.

They kept asking us to turn our video on if we're able. We all turned our video on one day and it turned out, they looked like bums and we all looked nice. lol. It was a stark contrast to say the least. Finally they started actually dressing for meetings. Good, cause I could almost smell them from the video. I'm sure that day they were embarrassed to show up like that while we minions were clean and polished.

Today I rarely turn on the video unless I'm chairing the meeting, but I'm usually showered and dressed if only for the duration of the meeting. Some days I have my running pants on with a nice pressed shirt. I have a tee and running shoes nearby. Soon as the Webex is over, I'm out the door for a run, walk, or bike ride in less than 30 seconds. Who's to know? lol. I'm loving it!

Last edited by DaneThornberg; 04-24-2020 at 10:11 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 09:46 AM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

edit: BUT....I don't get the posts that say they stay in pajammies either.....& not showered. That's hygiene.........
The rest of the world thinks Americans take too many showers, and are too obsessed with them.

I usually take a shower before starting work, mostly to wake up and get myself in the mood to work. If they aren't all in the hamper, IO'll wear a golf shirt and some dockers, and usually some shoes because it's more comfortable with my home setup. I haven't shaved in 5 weeks, and don't usually comb or brush my hair, though. We don't do video calls because of the impact on the corporate VPN.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:40 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Loungewear or something like leggings and a comfy sweater. Nobody sees me, but getting out of my actual pajamas helps my productivity.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:45 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Some days I wear lounge pajamas all day, sweats and sweaters, t-shirts and capris, etc. On a video call people just see my head and shoulders anyway. So I do comb my hair. But they can't tell if what I'm wearing is an old, comfy t-shirt or a silk blouse.

I did spend one day, early on, in a bathrobe and PJs. I thought it would be fun, but it wasn't.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:56 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
I been working from home for years, no video, so sit around in whatever I want, usually just shorts. If the rare time there is video, i am in business casual, which is the standard dress code for those who do work in the office.

For the other topic, Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-26-2020 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: I've put the kibosh on the off-topic discussion. ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty