Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 06:54 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,184,368 times

Advertisements

I wanted to switch to a non-aluminum containing (but still effective) deodorant, so I've been using Schmidt's Charcoal and Magnesium. It works well for me, although sometimes it does start to wear off near the end of the day. It has a fresh and mild scent that I really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 07:16 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm female, in my 60's and my current deodorant isn't cutting it. I don't have Hyperhidrosis, (as in I don't perspire a LOT) so I don't think I need an antiperspirant?

I don't perspire all the time, it happens mostly when I'm anxious. I think this is called a nervous sweat?

I shower daily and apply my deodorant afterwards. Further on in the day I know I have BO.

Help! Do any of you have some suggestions for deodorants that will last longer than a couple of hours?

Body odor is caused by bacteria. CVS sells 91% alcohol in a spray bottle that kills almost 100% of the remaining bacteria after your morning shower. We have a collection of lymph nodes in our arm pits and I don't want the chemicals from a deodorant / antiperspirant seeping into my skin near the lymph nodes. Now while alcohol is a toxin it also evaporates quickly after it kills the arm pit bacteria.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I just bought some Arrid Extra Dry Invisible Solid Antiperspirant Deodorant.

I hope it works... I'll post on here if it does or if it's another one with a fancy name that doesn't work.

Thanks again everyone

Old 11-09-2019, 05:09 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
It seems like it would be hard to develop BO within the same day, if a person has showered and applied an antiperspirant deodorant in the morning. I wonder if the culprit is really the clothing you are wearing?

I found out the hard way that polyester harbors a funky stink, even after washing, sometimes. Fabric in some athletic wear, like under armor is very prone to this too.

I had a cute polyester blouse that I tried to wear twice before I washed it. It smelled fine and looked clean when I put it on, but by the afternoon, I was detecting an embarrassing smell.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:45 AM

23 posts, read 18,914 times
***Schmidt's Natural Deodorant***

Look no further. The bonus to using this brand is that you won't be exposing yourself to the ridiculous toxins found in traditional deodorant. Trust me, I have tried all of them and have recommended this brand to men and women over the past 2 years. Literally, every person I have told has told me how awesome they think this brand works and they told their friends, it's spread to at least 20 people by now and anyone who tries it, Schmidt's becomes their new favorite brand. I have no money invested in the company, I am not being paid to promote them. I just think a deodorant that can deliver such good results without the typical unsafe ingredients is worth talking about. The fact that I can work in the yard and sweat like a pig and smell fresh and clean is pretty incredible.

You can find it in any store these days. You'll thank me later, I promise.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:05 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceog View Post

Look no further. The bonus to using this brand is that you won't be exposing yourself to the ridiculous toxins found in traditional deodorant. Trust me, I have tried all of them and have recommended this brand to men and women over the past 2 years. Literally, every person I have told has told me how awesome they think this brand works and they told their friends, it's spread to at least 20 people by now and anyone who tries it, Schmidt's becomes their new favorite brand. I have no money invested in the company, I am not being paid to promote them. I just think a deodorant that can deliver such good results without the typical unsafe ingredients is worth talking about. The fact that I can work in the yard and sweat like a pig and smell fresh and clean is pretty incredible.

Ok, but I dont want to sweat like a pig either.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceog View Post

I like Native. It is a little more expensive than Schmidt’s. I started using it because I sweat a lot at night and was waking up smelling like BO. I didn’t want to continue to use a ton of aluminum products. Even after a sweaty night, I still smell pretty good afterward. They have several different scents. I don’t like the most popular one because I feel like I smell like a dessert, but there are other ones.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:06 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Old Spice (for men) solid stick works best for me, and OS has a large selection of scents to choose from. I like the OS "Dragonblast" scent as it smells a bit like mild amber and blends in nicely with the kinds of woodsy or floral scented perfumes or body sprays that I like to use in addition to deodorant.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 AM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
"Scent" is a carcinogen, too. I watched a whole documentary about all the chemicals they mix to mimic essential oils and attars on the cheap, so unscented, if I'm already using an aluminum product, is essential.

I agree with gentlearts about clothing and clothing fabric and while I was happy with an alum crystal for decades, I found that when I had to go back to an office job and pull out my old (read: ancient) wardrobe, it wouldn't do.

My mother used to put baking soda in her washing machine water, but I don't know if it helped.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
Not sure about girls but Stetson Original is ideal for guys. Very neutral, no allergy, no anti-perspirant irritation. It's strictly a deodorant. But it can make the most acrid-smelling armpit on a brunette guy totally non-smelly for 12 hours. No over smell either. Difficult to find. Meijers in Michigan still carries it. These days, I see it sold nowhere else.

Aspen was my former favorite but they discontinued it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty