Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 12:26 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times

Advertisements

I would probably caution the hair mirroring of Zack Morris, despite the girls liking it, and being talked into it by an overzealous hair stylist. The reason why is that I am not a blonde, so I had to have highlights, and more highlights. The time and upkeep could get aggravating for me, but I also lived and went to school in New York, not sun-kissed California. I also swam daily at home, the gym, or school, and participated in other sports, like hockey, tennis, and golf, so I had hair issues from the helmet, hats, and visor when I wasn't playing since that style needed to be fixed in a certain way, although my girlfriend absolutely loved it when I had messy hair, too.

When groomed properly, it looked less like a school boy haircut and I had to laugh when I went to meet my father for lunch at his office and was waiting for him to finish a meeting when the relief receptionist who was new at the firm called his assistant to say that his next appointment was waiting. She was perplexed as she came into the lobby and looked around before I heard the receptionist say "the cute guy with the hair in the blue suit over there." My father's assistant said "he's in high school and he's his son" before she came over and chuckled saying that she almost didn't recognize me, herself. It was pretty funny to me at the time to be taken seriously because of the clothes and hair, especially in a large professional office in Manhattan, and from an older woman in her mid-20s not to think of me as a teen was pretty uplifting to me, though probably disconcerting to my parents.

The hair caused me to constantly be focused on styling, fixing, etc. at times, and probably was not something that needed to be as much a focus as it was, despite the overall positive results. One of my nieces was looking at old pictures recently and she looked up and looked at me and then said "You were a blonde?" I explained the whole style, and she thought it was hilarious but said that out of all of my brothers, I had the best hair, hands down. I probably would say keep the style, but the blonde could be skipped.

I would also encourage the use of sunscreen and more sunscreen, which I did use most days, but to make it the everyday routine that it should be, with a good quality SPF.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 02:04 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Don't tease your hair.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:14 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I would have invented the blow dryer and flat iron. My frizzy hair was a constant problem, tamed only by sleeping in rollers. I would have been rich, and had smooth hair.

I would have gone to the dermatologist earlier, rather than later.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,087 times
Skip tanning beds.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:16 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
1. Stop overplucking your eyebrows.
2. Don't wear black eyeliner on your waterline. It makes your eyes look small.
3. Don't use tanning beds.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:01 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Know you are beautiful AND smart......even when the bullies want to tell you that you aren’t....& no...just no...to Juicy tracksuits...laughs.

E d i t: & a tanning bed isn’t necessary to look pretty for prom....or ever

Old 10-27-2019, 02:49 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
It's 1978, and yes I know, everyone is over plucking their eyebrows because it's the "in" style, but in just a few years it won't be anymore and yours will NEVER EVER grow back in!

And PLEASE don't wear that blue frosted eye shadow and bubble gum pink frosty lip gloss in your Senior Yearbook Picture!

Old 10-27-2019, 04:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Sea Breeze astringent is not gonna do your skin any favors.
None of that stuff did anything for my acne, and I tried everything from OTC to the strong prescription stuff.

The 'one and only' good thing about turning 40 is FINALLY my acne is gone.

I dressed pretty terribly in high school, the sizing was off and I wore clothes sometimes 2 sizes too big. But as a generality, most high school kids dress horribly in retrospect. Pretty much all throughout college too.

Mid-20s to early 30s is the peak period of being able to make a statement with your fashion, but being able to do it with a good, mature presentation.

I did OK, my clothes fit pretty well at that point/age, and I had some pretty cool shirts. If I were to go back, I'd have told myself to be a little more risque, do more with my hair, throw some cooler combinations of jackets, vests and shoes in there. I spent a fair amount of $ on clothes, but I'd spend more. Once you get older, you don't have as much flexibility with what you can wear.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:10 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,910 times
I would tell myself I was a size 0 and not fat. I’d wear better fitting clothes instead of trying to hide my body
I’d tell myself to never color my hair
And be more diligent/strict with my dental care

Last edited by crd08; 10-28-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 02:43 PM

19,643 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
It's 1978, and yes I know, everyone is over plucking their eyebrows because it's the "in" style, but in just a few years it won't be anymore and yours will NEVER EVER grow back in!

And PLEASE don't wear that blue frosted eye shadow and bubble gum pink frosty lip gloss in your Senior Yearbook Picture!
Aargh, yes. I had no idea plucking those brows could be permanent...wish it worked like that for other areas.

I would have noted the technique of how they were cutting my hair because it was nice flowy layers, before choppy layering became the standard.

I think I did a pretty good job with makeup and grooming back then, could get away with natural look or made up. Did tan and now have some sun damage but really enjoyed the sun and surf. Now it's more difficult, challenges with hair color and skin tone and aging stuff. But not much I would change, you are only young once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty