Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes, me. I hate it, but I just ignore. Because, really, what can you do short of plastic surgery?

I wear the earrings I want. I smile because a smiling older face is preferable to a frowny older face. I use mascara to emphasize my long lashes. I put blush around my face as well.

I do like scarves in cooler weather.

It is what it is.
Amen. I am too full faced (fat) to have a turkey neck. I don't like scarves or for that matter any heavy jewelry, like beads either. My philosophy is that you need to embrace yourself for what you are and try to enjoy every day. Wear what look well on you and try not to be too critical.

Susan Lucci, a pretty woman by most standards is/was from an area close to where I was from. I would see her shopping all the time and recently saw her on TV. She has had work done on her face and still looks years younger than she is, but that neck gives her away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 08:48 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Amen. I am too full faced (fat) to have a turkey neck. I don't like scarves or for that matter any heavy jewelry, like beads either. My philosophy is that you need to embrace yourself for what you are and try to enjoy every day. Wear what look well on you and try not to be too critical.

Susan Lucci, a pretty woman by most standards is/was from an area close to where I was from. I would see her shopping all the time and recently saw her on TV. She has had work done on her face and still looks years younger than she is, but that neck gives her away.
This post made me want to look up Susan Lucci - wow, she is 72 and really looks great, and whatever "work" she has had done looks natural. She is into pilates/fitness and eats a really healthy diet. I am going to start being better about that. And her neck? Looks just fine to me, she looks damn good!!

Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,318,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Sunscreen on your neck, every day you put it on your face (this is for younger people as it is a preventive measure). And the "cords" in the neck are caused by tendons (or ligaments) shortening as you age, so spend a lot of time looking up. Keep them stretched.
If that's true, then our younger generation who spend a majority of their time looking at their phones
are really screwed.

Personally, I think it has more to do with genetics and inheriting whatever skin elasticity gene we have.

OP, Once you've got that waddle that's all we see but others see different things. So, play up your best features and make them the focal point. Your eyes, your hair, whatever.

Try not to wear round necks. It only accentuates the waddle..

V necks visually bring the eye down, so does a long necklace with a bauble at the end.

Look into the cost of a face lift if it bothers you that much. My male cousin had it done when he was in his 60s and he said he feels so much better about himself. I know how much he makes so it can't be that expensive.

I don't even concern myself with mine other than wearing V necks.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,318,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This post made me want to look up Susan Lucci - wow, she is 72 and really looks great, and whatever "work" she has had done looks natural. She is into pilates/fitness and eats a really healthy diet. I am going to start being better about that. And her neck? Looks just fine to me, she looks damn good!!
Now that we sort of went off the subject here.. Lol.. Susan Lucci had her neck done when I was pregnant with my 1st born son. I know that because all I did during that pregnancy was watch those soap operas. She went from the waddly neck that she'd hide with really high turtleneck sweaters, then she disappeared for a bit and came back with a really tight neck.

That was 40 years ago, so dear old Susi has been having plastic surgery for a long, long time and she does look great...

and yes, I'm freakin' jealous.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:38 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
On women it's a turkey neck, on men it's called a pelican neck. Mea culpa. . I am red pelican, I guess.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Entertaining thread but it is turkey wattle.

I’ve got it; I hate it; I just have to live with it.

If you have big eyes, play them up. I don’t, so I’m out of luck there.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:43 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
One time, a friend and I were going to get the plastic surgery for it. She checked into it and it was really expensive. So there's nothing you can do but live with it. (unless you're rich.)

Old 08-17-2019, 01:48 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
I guess if one doesn't want the sagging gobble neck they could just put on a hundred pounds or so and then have a balloon neck.

Many in my 'senior gals' group have the turkey neck, including myself. Our ages range from mid 70s-90, and we just ignore it and have a good time.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Now that we sort of went off the subject here.. Lol.. Susan Lucci had her neck done when I was pregnant with my 1st born son. I know that because all I did during that pregnancy was watch those soap operas. She went from the waddly neck that she'd hide with really high turtleneck sweaters, then she disappeared for a bit and came back with a really tight neck.

That was 40 years ago, so dear old Susi has been having plastic surgery for a long, long time and she does look great...

and yes, I'm freakin' jealous.
And she uses neck tape. They all do.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Secret-...50173245&psc=1

Old 08-17-2019, 02:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Ah—-! The things you learn here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty