Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 05:57 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,494,262 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of the criticism is over really BAD cosmetic surgery. Think of Priscilla Presley, Michael Jackson, Joyce Meyer, Melanie Griffith, etc. who don't even look like themselves. Then you have people like Cher, who is 72 and looks amazing. She obviously has a great surgeon. It also seems like every other woman, famous or not, has had a boob job. Back when I was in my early 20's padded bras was the solution for those who needed a little help in that area.

If I had the money I would have a mini facelift and a neck tightening. I lost 25 pounds rather quickly due to an illness and now have some sagging in my face that I didn't have before. I've kept the weight off so I would probably be a good candidate. I don't want anything drastic, I just want to look like a slightly younger version of myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 06:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,518,238 times
My questions would be:

Why are you so afraid of looking old? Why do you feel you need to conform to a particular ideal of physical beauty? Do you realize that the current ideals of physical beauty are commercially constructed with the purpose of making people feel bad about their appearance and thus inducing them to buy stuff?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,279,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
My questions would be:

Why are you so afraid of looking old? Why do you feel you need to conform to a particular ideal of physical beauty? Do you realize that the current ideals of physical beauty are commercially constructed with the purpose of making people feel bad about their appearance and thus inducing them to buy stuff?
Beauty standards have been around since at least Roman times if not before. The standards change from year to year but it’s nothing new to want to look good *according to your own standards*. I’m assuming none of you wear makeup or get your hair done etc. Like my previous example... what is wrong with wanting to NOT have sagging breast in your 20s-30s?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:20 AM

2,146 posts, read 1,501,929 times
I don't see anything wrong with a mini lift or neck tightening. These things can be done with lasers as well. It is like loose triceps. If you can pick up some dumbells and do some tricep work to tighten them up, why not. Surgery does have risks. I would not encourage someone to do a full facelift and risk nerve damage. I don't see what the big deal is with tightening and tweaking. Breast implants - no. Not only does that guarantee future replacement surgeries and typically gets botched, women age and with it, the implants sag and look horrid which requires more surgery to fix.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:23 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,156,703 times
I've got no beef with anyone who wants to get something done.

I look in the mirror, and I see my sagging neck, and yeah...I think about having something done. When I was younger, I seriously considered breast reduction surgery. Unfortunately, I let my family and my boyfriend talk me out of it.

I'm not going to be shaming anyone over what makes them feel better about themselves.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 AM

17,649 posts, read 39,465,103 times
I am not against anyone having a little work done if they want to. I have a hard time understanding why some need to take it over the top, or "fix" things that aren't necessary. And so many actually regret nose jobs etc afterward because they now look generic instead of distinctive.

For me, I decided long ago to leave "well enough alone." I considered the minilift, but decided against, because I did not want to take a chance on complications, or looking "overdone." So I just live with my "minijowls". The other thing is I am a singer, and tightening my jaw could be problematic for singing.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,335,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Many have always disapproved the, "OMG!, I have a wrinkle!" group.
Plastic surgery and supporting procedures used to be the territory of the unfortunate--birth defects, disease, and accident victims--and the very rich or Hollywood types.
We're now looking at an army of bad boob jobs and filler misuse. It's pathetic. I think that if someone can't put up with their little nose bump, tiny scar, or suggestion of a furrow, that they have more of a problem than any procedure can correct.
What we see now are those people - and surgeons - who do not know when to say, "Enough!!!"

I have know two of these, one man and one woman - artificial faces after three jobs, and I worked in the same building with a famous TV personality whose face lift had resulted in a face drop on one side.

Between the addicts and the accidents it is something to be wary about.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 AM

The face drop was Bell's Palsy. This is a nerve damage risk from major facial surgery of any kind. That happened to a famous TV personality (whose surgeon was under the gun to deliver good results) so you can see how risky surgery can be. Less is better. A minor tightening lift or laser tightening is an option (but not the heavy duty radio frequency lasers - again nerve, fat loss and muscle damage).

Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 AM

13,466 posts, read 15,653,931 times
People should do what they feel is right for them, screw what others think.

Between weight loss and breastfeeding, my boobs are a battlefield and look horrible. Why *should* I have to put up with that if I have the money to make a change? Just to make a point?

For the people willing to undergo surgical procedures and all the inherent risks, it's obvious that the imperfection is troubling and if fixing it improves one's mood, then so be it.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:35 AM

People are free to choose to do what they want and have the money to do. There is always risk with everything. You have to weigh what kind of risk you are willing to accept. In the fitness industry I personally know several with messed up breast implants (can't lift heavy anymore because of muscle interference, capsular contraction, shifting out of the pockets from excessive exercise). I also know those who have had successful outcomes. I know one person that got a lower eyelid lift and ended up with ectropion and had to have her lids repaired with skin grafts. I would say that for risk, erring on the side of caution is a way to anticipate and deal with risk. I am all for improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty