Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:26 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,173,162 times

Advertisements

I don't got no problem at all, and I have 3+ dozen t-shirts! Damn, I just can't keep from buying them.

And it's the fabric. If they buy good fabric they aren't going to use cheap labor. It'll cost more but it will be a hella nicer t-shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 05:28 AM

236 posts, read 196,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True. Or else the "American garment industry" has been re-defined, as the northern Mariana Islands, or Palau, or other small Pacific Island nation desperate for jobs.
Yes, Clinton opened the free trade agreement and America lost something we never knew was so valuable = the garment workers union. That was a game changer especially for womens clothing since that union hired pattern cutters which used standard sizes! That meant you could find relatively standard sized tops and bottoms all over the retail world. Not so today. I have found one retailer called H&M that makes cute, decent fitting t-shirts for ladies. I order online and get like 3-4 at a time. I only buy 100% cotton because the spandex or stretchy material seems to grab hold in all the wrong places

Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 AM

9,900 posts, read 7,792,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

I think some retailers have the attitude, we have a lot of sizes, just try them on until you find one that fits.

They buy a couple shipping containers full of t-shirts and sell 90% at a tidy profit, they dump another 5% on their clearance shelves, and they dump any remaining stock to scavenger sellers. I'm speculating but I think that's how the process works.

But anybody who disagrees about the size problem, if you don't think the third-world suppliers are messed up holding to our standard sizes, then why do we have a problem with this?

BTW I fit anywhere from S-CH to L depending on brand, mostly S-CH and M.
No, that's not how it works. In general, the manufacturers contract with overseas factories, giving them the material and size specs. Those are sent to wholesale distribution warehouses around the country that carry several brands/styles. Retailers, screen printers, small stores buy from the distributors (print/re-package/private label) and then sell to the customers.

Each brand will have several styles, some may be more fitted than another, but basic tee sizes have not changed. It's a very competitive market, if a distributor or brand started shipping defective size runs, we'd just buy from a different wholesaler.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
Women's T-shirt sizing is probably worse. Women's cut shirts from places like Bonfire are a joke. I'm 5'7", dress size 6/8 and have to order an XL in a ladies cut shirt. In other shirts I'm a M, occasionally even a S.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,751 posts, read 18,091,770 times
Is there some reason you can't go to a Target or Academy and buy t-shirts there?

I totally agree with Kibbiekat. Women's t-shirts are all over the place. They can be pretty, with a flattering fit, or they can be awful and make you look like a toad.

I don't buy clothing online.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:11 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,691,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Women's T-shirt sizing is probably worse. Women's cut shirts from places like Bonfire are a joke. I'm 5'7", dress size 6/8 and have to order an XL in a ladies cut shirt. In other shirts I'm a M, occasionally even a S.
I'm similar to you and always have to order XL too. I ordered 2 XL "night shirts" from Amazon---the picture showing them almost to the knees. They don't even cover my butt....and the XLs often pull across the chest. Good grief!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,810,243 times
I have bought 2X shirts and find them sort of equal to XL shirts...I then look at 3X shirts Well, it's like a frigging tent...(Yes, I have started to diet, still)

I complained to one lady who worked for a clothing maker, she said "They don't cut one at a time. It's 40-50 pairs AT ONCE and so your fit may be right at the top of the pile, but as it gets lower, it moves out or in...depends on the cutter"....

Old 09-03-2018, 10:32 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,747,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanyturns View Post
Maybe if I purchased packs of all white basic men's t-shirts sizing would not be a
problem. I always buy an assortment of colors.

1. Purchased Gildan 100% cotton in a local store. Shoulders and fit across my chest
was fine. The neck opening was for a child. Had to ask for help pulling this t-shirt
over my head. Almost cut the darn thing off with a scissors!

2. Purchased a bunch of Hanes t-shirts from a popular wholesaler on the web.
Medium has been my size for several decades. They were too small. Fortunately,
this wholesaler provides a free return shipping label.

3. Visited another local store. I decided to try size large Fruit of the Loom t-shirts.
They fit like x-large. The shoulders drooped down, almost to my elbows!

I've never had a problem buying t-shirts that fit. Obviously, the size printed on the
fabric or listed on the web is not reliable anymore. Must I keep buying (and returning)
t-shirts until I find some that actually fit?

Another issue with sizing is the "classic" vs "custom" fit in t-shirts and other types of shirts.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, that's not how it works. In general, the manufacturers contract with overseas factories, giving them the material and size specs...

Each brand will have several styles, some may be more fitted than another, but basic tee sizes have not changed. It's a very competitive market, if a distributor or brand started shipping defective size runs, we'd just buy from a different wholesaler.
Well they are doing a very poor job of controlling their sizes. That seems to contradict what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is there some reason you can't go to a Target or Academy and buy t-shirts there?
Or Walmart? Walmart has low-end product but you can buy 2-3 t-shirts for the price of a more expensive one, the better one lasts 3x longer, so you get more choices with the inexpensive stuff. I like a mix of inexpensive all the way to $50+ for a few best t-shirts.

The only problem I've had with t-shirts is that I buy too many!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:43 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,380,312 times
One thing I wonder if it is consistently true whether or not shirts made in India tend to run larger than other countries. That has at least been my experience with my polo shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty