Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Oops, sorry Lovehound! It is Nordstrom Rack or Nordies if you prefer. I just love the clearance sales from The Rack, since high end, already marked down items are often less than a JC Penny item. And what a difference in quality.
Don’t be fooled, Nordstom Rack stocks plenty never seen the light of. ordies items. Lots of exclusively made stuff. Or stuff they don’t sell. case in point. Neutrogena stuff.

That being said, I happened to stop at the Rack when I meant to go to Ulta. And I picked up a faux suede jacket for $30. I had purchased a different one thar was more expensive and didn’t fit well that got returned a few weeks ago. I picked up some fun earrings that should be cute for the wedding I am headed to in a few weeks.

And tbe biggest deal? I got a pack of Bliss’ Instant Facial Mask for $1.70. This is discontinued as they rebranded at a cheaper price point (now at Target and Ulta). So it was on super clearance. And the same product costs $20 at those stores now. I wanted tomtry it but I had overpurchased masks. But I couldn’t refuse at less that $2. I hear it works well so I’ll try it out this week.

Quote:
In that case, head over to Land’s End or LL Bean, their clothes stay the same year after year for basic items, jeans, shirts, pullovers.
These stores are way too basic (and a bit staid) for me. I had a more basic phase in my younger years, but even tben it was too much for me. I’m not one for jeans and t-shirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Taz22, when I lived in Santa Fe there were mostly one store of everything. One Home Depot, one Sears, one Bed Bath and Beyond, one Trader Joe's, one WFM. After the big city I just could not downsize my expectations. The cultural and artsy value of the city appealed to me, but the big city took me back.

Actually one of my dating secrets is that I've found you can have a great first date by meeting for shopping and cocktails planned after, and escalate to dinner if both persons are interested.

I have most of the shopping in short distance. But they roll up the streets here at night and I'd have to drive to Hollywood for clubs. Fortunately at clubbing hours the freeways are relatively quiet. Also I can dine in the west side to Beverly Hills easily because all the traffic is opposite direction to me.

Well this forum is City-Data. That's why I originally joined. As my interests evolve my sub-forum sections evolve too. Right now I'm interested in fashion because of my online dating.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:21 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I’m sorry I didn’t report this in a more timely manner, but JJill had 40% off PLUS 15% off if you use your charge (normally 5%).

I got 3 cute tops for $79.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Nordstrom Rack is mostly exclusive NR merchandise, not the stuff they sold in Nordstrom, but you can get a lucky find. I usually don’t bother with it, as it’s so much less pleasant to shop there.

My Nordstrom money-saving strategy (which has been quite successful) is I only look at sale rack clothes unless I really need a new bra or something. I usually have to pay full price for shoes too since I wear a wide.
They have really good sale racks.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:01 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Don’t be fooled, Nordstom Rack stocks plenty never seen the light of. ordies items. Lots of exclusively made stuff. Or stuff they don’t sell. case in point. Neutrogena stuff.

That being said, I happened to stop at the Rack when I meant to go to Ulta. And I picked up a faux suede jacket for $30. I had purchased a different one thar was more expensive and didn’t fit well that got returned a few weeks ago. I picked up some fun earrings that should be cute for the wedding I am headed to in a few weeks.

And tbe biggest deal? I got a pack of Bliss’ Instant Facial Mask for $1.70. This is discontinued as they rebranded at a cheaper price point (now at Target and Ulta). So it was on super clearance. And the same product costs $20 at those stores now. I wanted tomtry it but I had overpurchased masks. But I couldn’t refuse at less that $2. I hear it works well so I’ll try it out this week.

These stores are way too basic (and a bit staid) for me. I had a more basic phase in my younger years, but even tben it was too much for me. I’m not one for jeans and t-shirts.
That’s part of the fun when shopping stores like The Rack, you never know what great items you’ll come across. I’ve bought Bliss in Ulta and must say you got a steal.

If you don’t like this years styles from Nordies, wait a season, unlike Land’s End, styles will change drastically from season to season.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:26 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Taz22, when I lived in Santa Fe there were mostly one store of everything. One Home Depot, one Sears, one Bed Bath and Beyond, one Trader Joe's, one WFM. After the big city I just could not downsize my expectations. The cultural and artsy value of the city appealed to me, but the big city took me back.

Actually one of my dating secrets is that I've found you can have a great first date by meeting for shopping and cocktails planned after, and escalate to dinner if both persons are interested.

I have most of the shopping in short distance. But they roll up the streets here at night and I'd have to drive to Hollywood for clubs. Fortunately at clubbing hours the freeways are relatively quiet. Also I can dine in the west side to Beverly Hills easily because all the traffic is opposite direction to me.

Well this forum is City-Data. That's why I originally joined. As my interests evolve my sub-forum sections evolve too. Right now I'm interested in fashion because of my online dating.
I can relate to that. After living in one of the most affluent areas around, it’s impossible to adjust to WalMart. North Scottsdale was set up for well heeled tourists and locals, the best stores and restaurants anywhere. Cities have their downside but shopping is not one of them!

Lovehound, that dating idea sounds like so much fun! It’s a very unique and fun way to get to know someone. If you were living in Scottsdale, I’d introduce you to a single friend of mine, she loves to shop, dine and go clubbing.

The shopping, nightlife and restaurants where you live sound as though you chose the right place. I envy that, and want to get out of here as soon as possible. My biggest nightmare is driving down the road in a pickup with big tires, wearing a flannel shirt and grinning with missing teeth and a whip antenna on the back.

It’s nice to see men on these forums, caring about your appearance is not just for women. Guys who dress nice and smell nice are always going to find dates.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Nordstrom Rack is mostly exclusive NR merchandise, not the stuff they sold in Nordstrom, but you can get a lucky find. I usually don’t bother with it, as it’s so much less pleasant to shop there.
I'm very surprised to hear that. I had thought Rack was where Nordstrom dumped their slow moving merchandise, stuff that became mostly sold out at Nordstrom to the point there were too few items to maintain a complete display. I came to that conclusion because I see so few of each item, Rack appears to me to have plenty of stock but limited selection.

Quote:
I can relate to that. After living in one of the most affluent areas around, it’s impossible to adjust to WalMart. North Scottsdale was set up for well heeled tourists and locals, the best stores and restaurants anywhere. Cities have their downside but shopping is not one of them!

Lovehound, that dating idea sounds like so much fun! It’s a very unique and fun way to get to know someone. If you were living in Scottsdale, I’d introduce you to a single friend of mine, she loves to shop, dine and go clubbing.

The shopping, nightlife and restaurants where you live sound as though you chose the right place. I envy that, and want to get out of here as soon as possible. My biggest nightmare is driving down the road in a pickup with big tires, wearing a flannel shirt and grinning with missing teeth and a whip antenna on the back.

It’s nice to see men on these forums, caring about your appearance is not just for women. Guys who dress nice and smell nice are always going to find dates.
I own property in Phoenix, and I agree Scottsdale is nice. I had considered moving there when California falls into the ocean, but can't stand the heat.

I kind of accidentally thought up the "let's go shopping and then do something after" first date idea, after having enough dates where it was just dinner and nothing before/after. It worked so well I was amazed! Malls have so many places to sit and rest that we punctuated our shopping with visiting and getting to know each other better, and the shopping (1) allowed each of us to see the other interacting with sales people and other customers, and (2) was kind of domestic in each of us giving the other opinions on clothing purchases. By the time we went to the restaurant we had already interacted enough that we were no longer strangers. It was a much more comfortable dinner than my usual first dates. Since then I always try to make my dates dinner and something else. BTW I got the idea because some of my restaurant dates ended up stomping the mall for a short time before it closed. Then I got the idea, let's go shopping first!

I agree more men should take more concern over their appearance, and it makes total sense for a single man to pay attention to body care and fashion. My appearance is part of the basis that my dates will be deciding if they want to continue seeing me. I'm certainly going to take every advantage I can find.

I've made a significant change in how I dress since last year, it's just simply a more polished casual, and I feel great looking nicer even when not on a date. I know I'm looking better than I used to and it puts a bit of swagger in my walk!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:06 AM

765 posts, read 473,702 times
Zen Style!!!!! I LOVE THAT COAT!!!!!! ....sale or not, i live on a fixed income and can't afford new anything.... and i just rescued a little dog and she needs surgery, so i doubt i'll be buying any clothes for a good long time.

I wish you great joy in your snazzy razzy-dazzle GEEEEEE-OR-GEEEE- OUS NEW COAT!!!!!!!!

Old 09-04-2018, 11:05 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm very surprised to hear that. I had thought Rack was where Nordstrom dumped their slow moving merchandise, stuff that became mostly sold out at Nordstrom to the point there were too few items to maintain a complete display. I came to that conclusion because I see so few of each item, Rack appears to me to have plenty of stock but limited selection.
)
They may purposely understock their shelves to give the appearance of scarcity the way stores like Homegoods and TJ Max do. Nordstrom offloads most of their low stock stuff on the website, I believe.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:18 AM

No, the shelves and racks at my local Rack have plenty of clothing. It's the breadth of selection that's missing. Like I find a shirt I like and would buy, but they don't have it in my size. But they have my size in a color or design I don't like.

Well it doesn't matter where their stock comes from. I know prices well enough to recognize a good deal. I know fashion well enough to know their stuff is better than my usual fare.

Lose 2 inches off my waist size and I'm headed for The Rack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty