Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 05:25 PM

7,685 posts, read 1,291,247 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this question in Fashion & Beauty as my question deals specifically to clothing and I'm sure there are some Fashionistas out there who would know the answer....

I'll be moving in a couple of months and I have my daughters' prom dresses and some vintage clothing that I would like to take with me. Has anyone ever used those space save vacuum storage bags to move/store such items? If these bags work well I'd like to keep these items stored this way long term as I will be moving to a smaller apartment and will need to consolidate.

The logical thing to do, of course, would be to get rid of all this stuff. It may very well come to that, but if I can get away with it I'd like to keep as much as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,258,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I'm posting this question in Fashion & Beauty as my question deals specifically to clothing and I'm sure there are some Fashionistas out there who would know the answer....

I'll be moving in a couple of months and I have my daughters' prom dresses and some vintage clothing that I would like to take with me. Has anyone ever used those space save vacuum storage bags to move/store such items? If these bags work well I'd like to keep these items stored this way long term as I will be moving to a smaller apartment and will need to consolidate.

The logical thing to do, of course, would be to get rid of all this stuff. It may very well come to that, but if I can get away with it I'd like to keep as much as I can.
I hate those bags because they wrinkle your clothes like crazy. If you don't have a problem with that, go ahead and use them. Just know anything you want to get out of the bag will have to go to the cleaners to get steamed/cleaned.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 5,261,460 times
I have used them. They worked very well for me. Fold them, rather then just throwing them in, and you shouldn`t have a problem. The bags do save a lot of space.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:12 AM

23,209 posts, read 26,442,619 times
They're great for your purpose! Amazing how much space they save.
I've taken the vintage things out a few times to show people and haven't had a big problem with wrinkles

Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 1,291,247 times
Super! Thanks to all for your input! I'm not too concerned with wrinkles at this point, and the tip about folding the clothes before bagging them is a good one!

Old 08-29-2018, 12:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,258,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Super! Thanks to all for your input! I'm not too concerned with wrinkles at this point, and the tip about folding the clothes before bagging them is a good one!
Haha, yes, I did carefully fold my clothes before I put them in the bags. I didn't just wad them up and throw them in the bags.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,506,623 times
In my experience they leak over time. I did use them when I moved cross country.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,194,182 times
So far, I've tried several of the Magic Bags and Ziploc and one other brand I can't think of at the moment and every single one of them had let air in within a few weeks. I had filled some with stuff... vacuumed.. made sure it was locked up all tight and put under bed. Few weeks later I went to get something out of one of them and couldn't get it out from under the bed because they had inflated and grew higher than the bed rail. Every one of them did this.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 AM

15,264 posts, read 10,516,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
So far, I've tried several of the Magic Bags and Ziploc and one other brand I can't think of at the moment and every single one of them had let air in within a few weeks. I had filled some with stuff... vacuumed.. made sure it was locked up all tight and put under bed. Few weeks later I went to get something out of one of them and couldn't get it out from under the bed because they had inflated and grew higher than the bed rail. Every one of them did this.
Same thing happened to me with both of those.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:22 PM

16,571 posts, read 15,455,500 times
Another As Seen TV gadget that made a ton of money and disappeared. Have you seen any ads lately? Mine leaked. If you have to use them to store your clothes, you have too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty