Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,733,021 times

Advertisements

Last night I did a mini cleaning as my husband is out of town. My dresser drawers were filling up with clothes that I don't wear. I have placed new purchase and clothes that were not suitable for this season or my current size, I just shoved all that in my "non daily use drawer". often times i put stuff away in easily to access location with the intention of moving it to boxes/luggage for seasonal storage later on. But, its been building up. So I went thru 3 drawers.
  • Got rid of 2 tops that has micro holes in it. I actually wanted to save one because it was black & I figure no one will see it. But when I tried it on, it didn't look flattering on me either.
  • I found several tops that are size Medium when I am size Large now. I did not want to get rid of them because my weight does swing between Medium and large. So I stored them in a box.
  • Moved all my everyday summer clothes in one drawer and cardigan/sweater/fall clothes in another drawer. The transition season is coming. These were clothes I meant to put away back in May when summer hit but I just shoved them in a drawer.

I still have more to do but it feels lighter to get those 3 organize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,161,435 times
Old tee shirts that start to get holes, either get set aside for painting shirts or get torn up for cleaning or refinishing rags.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,487,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sweater with holes.

I recently had bags of clothing to donate but mistakenly they were given to the guy collecting bulk trash...

I once did the opposite---I gave two bags of trash to the Goodwill drop off bin and didn't realize my mistake until later

Old 08-31-2018, 02:47 PM

50,534 posts, read 64,519,554 times
The last thing was cropped pants that are too short. I usually keep a laundry basket in my closet, to collect items for Goodwill. It is still hot here, but soon, I will get rid of all the summer stuff that I didn’t wear this year.

The thing about my wardrobe is, I very seldom get dressed up, so I have tons of dressy clothes that I will need IF the occasion happens. Just because it’s been years since I’ve worn it, I won’t chuck it. I have a gorgeous cream silk blouse that is almost 10 years old and I’ve never worn it. I buy classic stuff, so it’s not out of style.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:23 AM

45 posts, read 29,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
What is the last clothing item you threw away (trashed or donated)? Did you wear it a lot?

A pair of jeans, about a year ago.

Quote:
What made you give it up or realize its time?

They literally fell apart.

Quote:
Just curious on peoples thought process, when they call it TIME.

I tend to wear my clothes to shreds. Also, I did not trash those jeans entirely, I saved pieces of the fabric that were not threadbare to make other things from it. Like wallets. Still have some fabric for some DIY projects in the future ...

Old 09-01-2018, 04:09 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,350,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The last thing was cropped pants that are too short. I usually keep a laundry basket in my closet, to collect items for Goodwill. It is still hot here, but soon, I will get rid of all the summer stuff that I didn’t wear this year.

The thing about my wardrobe is, I very seldom get dressed up, so I have tons of dressy clothes that I will need IF the occasion happens. Just because it’s been years since I’ve worn it, I won’t chuck it. I have a gorgeous cream silk blouse that is almost 10 years old and I’ve never worn it. I buy classic stuff, so it’s not out of style.
I feel the same way, my clothes are classics and well taken care of so they will last me to the end of my days...and still be appropriate for any occasion I could need to wear them for.

I'm not hard on my clothes whether they are my wear around the house clothes for whatever season, or my excursions errands away from the house.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,200,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I feel the same way, my clothes are classics and well taken care of so they will last me to the end of my days...and still be appropriate for any occasion I could need to wear them for.

I'm not hard on my clothes whether they are my wear around the house clothes for whatever season, or my excursions errands away from the house.

Oh wow this is me too ^^^^^I have several linen suits some skirts and jackets and some pantsuits which I will not toss because they are classics indeed .

Old 09-03-2018, 11:08 PM

11,014 posts, read 7,564,592 times
I'm just the opposite; I change my style frequently, so clothes come and go freely. I'd be bored to tears if I had to wear the same pair of pants for ten years.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 PM

6,622 posts, read 4,939,404 times
Probably a pair of Levi's blue jeans, because it was worn out and I'd already replaced it with a newer version.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,200,333 times
I just got my hubs to clean out his side of the closet and now have three more bags to drop at our local thrift shop and it goes back into the community for handicapped folks and the next load up will be for the pet re sale shop in the next town over because they use the money for the shelters .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty