Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,262,565 times

Advertisements

I just found a large brimmed hat to wear in the sun. I haven’t made friends with it yet, because it makes me feel conspicuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 AM

473 posts, read 762,559 times
I've tried different beach hats, but I was struggling to get the right size. Also, some of them are just too floppy.

I like fedoras and Panama hats and such, but not sure they look right on me. As another poster said, it doesn't quite work if you're obviously self-conscious about it.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:15 AM

3,077 posts, read 2,071,301 times
I love hats but other people wear them better than me haha.
Would love to photograph a group of ladies wearing hats, not Red Hat ladies, more individually selected.
When growing up in Florida I'd pass by a ladies hat shop often and admire the window.

Catholics don't wear hats to church, at least not the church I grew up in. Too bad.
Summer weddings are fun to see hats but even when I buy one to wear I'll chicken out last minute.
Takes confidence and like earlier reply I have a small head that look less good in a hat.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,217,389 times
I love hats but here's the deal with them, for me anyway.

For me, wearing a hat is an all day commitment to wear said hat, because I totally get hat hair and since my hair is thick and coarse, it's not like it will just shake gently back into place when I take the hat off. Oh no. My hair will be pressed down and weird looking, so once I put that hat on, it's staying on till I'm home for good that evening.

Serious commitment there.

I like the idea of taking the hat off and shaking my head and my hair falling back into place but that only happens in my fantasies. My reality is - keep the hat on all day. So - I do have some hats, and I do wear them occasionally, but most of them are felt hats like berets that I wear in the fall and winter. I also do wear big floppy beach hats at the beach and I'm good with those, because my hair is going to look like hell at the beach anyway so it may as well be under a hat.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:27 PM

11,104 posts, read 6,704,317 times
Yeah, hat hair, sigh. What about all those hat-wearing men back in the old movies?

Floppy hats just blow the brim up in a slight breeze, so no sun protection. Or blow off altogether. Usually a breeze at the beach, so I'm missing something there.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,556,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I wear hats in the winter when I'm going to be outside for a longer period of time.

Even a straw hat in the summer makes my head hot. No thanks.
Do you have light colored hair? My dark hair absorbs every bit of heat from the sun, so for me, I am much cooler with a hat on in summer. It's not really cold enough here for winter hats. Opposite problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Floppy hats just blow the brim up in a slight breeze, so no sun protection. Or blow off altogether. Usually a breeze at the beach, so I'm missing something there.
I have this hat in white for gardening and other outdoor activities. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not my most flattering hat, but I do get compliments when I wear it, all the same. The wind does blow up the brim a bit, but it's such a large brim it provides quite a bit of protection. Blowing away would be a problem if I didn't have such thick hair it holds the hat on pretty well.

I just ordered a new hat to wear to my brother's garden wedding this summer. It's a pale straw with a face-framing rounded brim trimmed all the way around in black. I hope it works out. Thanks for inspiring me, OP!

Last edited by Debsi; 07-06-2018 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 03:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,399,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Do you have light colored hair? My dark hair absorbs every bit of heat from the sun, so for me, I am much cooler with a hat on in summer. It's not really cold enough here for winter hats. Opposite problems!
No, dark brunette with lots of hair. Hats just seem to add a layer that makes me sweat.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,380,685 times
A woman toldme she could never be in the military because she couldn't stand wearing hats.

I love seeing fashionable hats on ladies, especially at church. (Former Memphis here)

I've been to the VA Gold Cup races, which is the same day as the KY Derby. You have to wear a hat!

I have a wide brim hat, pink with green edge and watermelon seeds sprinkled about. Its been so hot here I've worn it a few times lately and always get compliments.

I have a large head so it's not easy finding hats I like that fit.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:38 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,571,756 times
Knitted toques or balaclavas under my snow machine helmut in the winter, (so itchy) and only if I'm out in the sun for a long time in the summer. Hats don't look good on me because my hair sticks out (too short to put into a pony tail)

I used to like wearing my western hats when I was riding, but took it off as soon as I was done riding.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,914,074 times
I like hats though I don't wear them that often.

I have a black beret that I will wear sometimes and get a lot of compliments on.

Another one that I like to wear is a military cap. I also have worn a steam punk top hat and a newsboy cap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty