Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:43 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I don't care one way or the other, but capri pants are in no way, shape, or form suitable for business casual wear.
I have a friend who's tall and willowy. She found a pair of capri-length pants that were made out of conservative business suiting material, with a matching jacket. I'm talking about something similar to men's suiting: dark brown with narrow white stripes. They looked SENSATIONAL! This needed to be seen to be believed. I know it sounds unlikely, but a high-quality, well-cut outfit like that CAN work on the right person. She worked as a salesperson in a high-end jewelry store; the owner had no problem with that outfit; it looked very polished, professional, and contemporary.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-24-2018 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,446,409 times
A problem here is that we don't all agree as to what capri pants are.
I see them as narrow-leg trousers that reach somewhere between a few inches below the knee and a few inches above the ankle. Looser pants of that length would be clamdiggers; fulll trousers are gauchos; tight versions would be toreador pants.

Here's a website that explains part of that (but they don't entirely agree with me): The (nearly) definitive guide to cropped pants The (nearly) definitive guide to cropped pants - Working mom style advice: Frantic But Fabulous

That said, I live in an area with warm and humid weather. Long pants get too hot, and I just don't like shorts. I like the narrow-leg and snug versions of cropped pants--Capris and toreador pants. But I'm almost 6 feet tall and have great legs; plus, I'd rather be comfortable than worry about what strangers think.

Oh, and I think Bermuda shorts are just awful--baggy and unflattering. I guess we all have preferences.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:03 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
A problem here is that we don't all agree as to what capri pants are.
I see them as narrow-leg trousers that reach somewhere between a few inches below the knee and a few inches above the ankle. Looser pants of that length would be clamdiggers; fulll trousers are gauchos; tight versions would be toreador pants.

Here's a website that explains part of that (but they don't entirely agree with me): The (nearly) definitive guide to cropped pants The (nearly) definitive guide to cropped pants - Working mom style advice: Frantic But Fabulous

That said, I live in an area with warm and humid weather. Long pants get too hot, and I just don't like shorts. I like the narrow-leg and snug versions of cropped pants--Capris and toreador pants. But I'm almost 6 feet tall and have great legs; plus, I'd rather be comfortable than worry about what strangers think.

Oh, and I think Bermuda shorts are just awful--baggy and unflattering. I guess we all have preferences.
This! The bolded is what I was talking about. This type can really rock business capris, leisure capris, any capris. And yeah--clamdiggers tend to look universally awful.

I see by their diagram, that what I've been talking about as "capris" are actually pedal-pushers. I didn't know that term was still around. Nobody's using it in their marketing. So I think that length has been lumped into the capri category. I would agree that true capris (per their definition) chop off the leg. That's a different conversation altogether. They chop off your calf at the worst spot. Pedal-pushers, OTOH, can be flattering.

Thanks for posting that chart, so we can all be clear, for the sake of the discussion at least, on what's being discussed.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,672,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think they're a good look for significantly overweight women. Shorts are an even worse look for those women, though, so they may feel relieved that there's an alternative to shorts that is not full-length pants.
So overweight women are approved to wear what in warm weather? Muumuus? A shroud?

Old 02-24-2018, 12:55 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,562,373 times
I find them extremely pointless. I’d rather just wear shorts, pants, or a skirt. If there is a situation or place that doesn’t allow shorts, then in my experience, capris wouldn’t be acceptable either.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:22 PM

14,993 posts, read 12,204,144 times
I'm one of those elderly women who wears Capris here in FL, I like them, they're comfortable, and fortunately I'm old enough not to care what anyone else thinks about them, or me wearing them.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:33 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,383,840 times
I wear them for a variety of reasons. Mine tend to fall between my knee and ankle.

Do they make my legs look shorter? Maybe, but I don't give a darn. I'm under 5 ft. Nothing I wear is going to make my legs look long. I'm short and fine with that.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So overweight women are approved to wear what in warm weather? Muumuus? A shroud?
The problem with being even slightly overweight is that most clothes don’t look that great. Modern clothes are designed for young, slim bodies. The rest of us have to choose the lesser of evils many times.

I personally think oversized tops and slim pants work well on many body types. I don’t like oversized tops with baggy pants or a skirt.

I like long shorts cut with a slim leg. If you have a sizable backside, baggy short pants look awful!

You have to know what looks good on you. You have to decide for yourself what compromises you are willing to make. For those of you who are young, slim and tall, compromise is not as often needed.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,908,444 times
I personally can't stand them and will never own a pair. I hate it when I am looking at pants, think that I have found a nice pair...then look and find out they are capris and not full-length pants

They aren't flattering on me since I am short to begin with and the last thing I need is something that makes my legs look shorter. I will stick with either long pants or skirts/shorts.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,127,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What are your thoughts about Capri pants? This may be unpopular, but here are mine.
1. They are UNFALTERING to ANY body type. Let's face it. If the Capri wearer had a different body, or she was more confident, she would probably opt for a few pairs of well cut shorts. But NOT always. Capris are also chosen by women who could wear something better.
Yet, I must say that I have seen fit women, at their "normal weight" wear Capris with baggy Tees, and flowing tops - often with cut out shoulders.
You know; it’s funny that you mention that! I have teenage daughters so I’m cruising through Juniors departments all the time & when I see the “new” Capris, I can’t help but wonder “Why?” I mean; teenagers ... hey, it’s not that aging/having kids has to be a death sentence to your body (well ...) but for sure, it’s sort of all downhill from there, even if just in effort.

So you have a few years to flaunt it but your going to do so Capris?! Noooo; what a waste!

Quote:
2, Capris SHORTEN YOUR LEGS. Not good, no matter what your height. Paired with a top that is longer than crotch level, they are particularly unflattering.
No. You do not look thinner in Capris. You look cut off and short legged.
3. You do not look thin or hip. If you are significantly over weight. there are better options. Capri pants actually enhance whatever it is you are trying to hide.
4. They AGE you. NO ONE under 18, who is not remarkably obese, wants to buy a pair of "Capris".
5. I'll be the first too admit it but they just do not LOOK GOOD.
Mostly true! Now, I’m tall (5’10”) & proportionally, most of my height does come from my lower body, as I have a 33-34” inseam length. I will sometimes prefer a Capri-like length to a full leg because so many pants don’t come in my length & the only thing that looks worse than a Capri length is a high-water pant length!

So I pick my battles but the other problem is that when you are tall, those Capri lengths are also too short & I end up with a wad a fabric bunched up behind my knees. Yuk.

Quote:
6. I will also admit this - I wore Capris for years. One day I looked in the mirror and asked "why"? I looked frumpy.
Do you wear Capri pants? Or do you avoid them?
There is one style & I can’t remember who makes them ... but they are usually a white or khaki color, with a lower waist & a cargo cut that actually don’t look half bad on me & I would wear those but I can’t really find them. Maybe in a thrift store, because the style is probably outdated by a decade!

I always feel like I don’t really have a style because I don’t really have a peer group to identify with. I think the last time I had anything in common with women “my age” was in 1984, when I was 16.

Im always finding out later than everybody else that a trend has changed. The whole “low, lower & super-low-rise” thing caught me way off guard.

But capris, I think, have looked frumpy for years. Forever maybe. When my oldest started high school in 2000, I remember that a lot of other moms of HS kids wore them, while the moms of elementary or middle school students didn’t so much. And I wasn’t quite ready for that because I was only 31 & the other parents were early 40’s on up.

I didn’t really notice much after that & I had at least one kid in HS until 2012. Then I had a 3 year break from being “mom of a kid in HS” until 2015. That’s when I realized, “Hey; I’m not the young parent anymore!” because by the time the twins started HS; I was in MY late 40’s.

And it’s exactly the same scenario ... this generation of “moms of a HS kid” are wearing capris now too & I still think they look frumpy. My youngest is in MS & those moms are not really wearing them much ... yet.

It’s not that I’m a fashion slave or anything; I just don’t want to be “that” mom ... The one that looks like she’s desperately trying to look like her daughters but winds up looking silly. But I’d just as soon wear jeans with an elastic waist or pleats than capris ... surely there has to be a happy medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty