Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 12,204,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Exactly. Even the "rebuttal" to my post was aggressive.

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone has given this much thought or has Such Strong Feelings about capri pants.
I had to wonder about that too. But then I'd count myself among the ladies who wear what we want and really don't care whether others think we are 'chic',dumpy, frumpy, fat, unappealing,, or whatever they choose to label those of us who don't dress to fit their taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 PM

14,993 posts, read 12,204,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Hate them! Capris make short people look shorter and not flattering on taller people. Especially if they are short and fat, just does nothing. They just do not look good on any body type, frame, height, etc.
So don't wear them.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,139,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
In 95 degrees with 85% humidity??
I wear jeans with heels all year long here in Fort Lauderdale but I wear skinny jeans.

The poster was asking for ideas being short and chunky.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...or somewhere in between?

As Spring arrives, Capri pants are about to once again return to the public venue of your choice - especially among the 40 and above crowd.

Many women LOVE Capris. Women who want to be a bit cooler in he warmer months but don't think that shorts are flattering, love Capris. They are also popular among those of us who live in 4 season climates as a transition from Winter to Spring. Some wear them all summer long with baggy Tee shirts, tank tops, and flip flops.

It's a "Look" that I have seen in states as diverse as New Hampshire, Florida and Indiana. Many women seem to LOVE Capris.

What are your thoughts about Capri pants?

This may be unpopular, but here are mine.

1. They are UNFALTERING to ANY body type. Let's face it. If the Capri wearer had a different body, or she was more confident, she would probably opt for a few pairs of well cut shorts. But NOT always. Capris are also chosen by women who could wear something better.

Yet, I must say that I have seen fit women, at their "normal weight" wear Capris with baggy Tees, and flowing tops - often with cut out shoulders.

2, Capris SHORTEN YOUR LEGS. Not good, no matter what your height. Paired with a top that is longer than crotch level, they are particularly unflattering.

No. You do not look thinner in Capris. You look cut off and short legged.

3. You do not look thin or hip. If you are significantly over weight. there are better options. Capri pants actually enhance whatever it is you are trying to hide.

4. They AGE you. NO ONE under 18, who is not remarkably obese, wants to buy a pair of "Capris".

5. I'll be the first too admit it but they just do not LOOK GOOD.

6. I will also admit this - I wore Capris for years. One day I looked in the mirror and asked "why"? I looked frumpy.

Frumpy was never a look I attempted to purposely achieve.

I now wear light weight jeans or slacks in Spring. I roll them up a bit, and make sure that my top is now billowy or lower than my waist. It I am wearing a Tee, I tuck part of it into my pants.

Do you wear Capri pants? Or do you avoid them?
I wear capris frequently. I am well above average height, and no one would complain that I have short legs, even in capris. I don't wear them with long shirts so that isn't really an issue.

As for students, many of mine wear capris. It is part of the preppy look and common in spring to wear capris, with sperrys and vineyards vines pullover especially in the beginning of spring.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...or somewhere in between?

As Spring arrives, Capri pants are about to once again return to the public venue of your choice - especially among the 40 and above crowd.

Many women LOVE Capris. Women who want to be a bit cooler in he warmer months but don't think that shorts are flattering, love Capris. They are also popular among those of us who live in 4 season climates as a transition from Winter to Spring. Some wear them all summer long with baggy Tee shirts, tank tops, and flip flops.

It's a "Look" that I have seen in states as diverse as New Hampshire, Florida and Indiana. Many women seem to LOVE Capris.

What are your thoughts about Capri pants?

This may be unpopular, but here are mine.

1. They are UNFALTERING to ANY body type. Let's face it. If the Capri wearer had a different body, or she was more confident, she would probably opt for a few pairs of well cut shorts. But NOT always. Capris are also chosen by women who could wear something better.

Yet, I must say that I have seen fit women, at their "normal weight" wear Capris with baggy Tees, and flowing tops - often with cut out shoulders.

2, Capris SHORTEN YOUR LEGS. Not good, no matter what your height. Paired with a top that is longer than crotch level, they are particularly unflattering.

No. You do not look thinner in Capris. You look cut off and short legged.

3. You do not look thin or hip. If you are significantly over weight. there are better options. Capri pants actually enhance whatever it is you are trying to hide.

4. They AGE you. NO ONE under 18, who is not remarkably obese, wants to buy a pair of "Capris".

5. I'll be the first too admit it but they just do not LOOK GOOD.

6. I will also admit this - I wore Capris for years. One day I looked in the mirror and asked "why"? I looked frumpy.

Frumpy was never a look I attempted to purposely achieve.

I now wear light weight jeans or slacks in Spring. I roll them up a bit, and make sure that my top is now billowy or lower than my waist. It I am wearing a Tee, I tuck part of it into my pants.

Do you wear Capri pants? Or do you avoid them?
I had to come back to this. See the bolded areas above. I will respond to them.

First of all, I think the word you were searching for is "unflattering," not "unfaltering," but I digress. I'll go with "unflattering" since I think that's what you meant to say. But as for that "different body type," what specifically are you talking about? Thinner? More fit? Taller? Younger? Slimmer ankles? Prettier feet? "Normal" weight? Eighteen years old? Hey, guess what - even healthy, fit body types differ tremendously, at any age. Not every style looks good on every body, of course. But let's get even more down and dirty - people age - if they are lucky, that is. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a person's body to look the same at age 58 as they did at age 18. More on that "18" thing in a bit.

Secondly, depending on height and leg length, "shortening one's leg" is often not a big deal at all. At ALL. In fact, some of us with really long legs don't mind if a style "shortens our leg." But that's a big "if." Not all capris "shorten our legs."

Now, on to the top - sheeze, what a generalization. I guess a short woman needs to be more careful with longer tops than a tall woman - I wouldn't really know since I've never had that problem, but it's true from what I read. But most tall women can wear long tops and look great in them. In or out of capris.

As for looking thinner in capris - is that why you think women wear them? I mean, I guess some women may wear them in an attempt to look thinner, but most women I know wear them because they think they're a cute style, especially for summer.

Looking "hip." Hmmm, not my focus. I just like to feel comfortable and confident in my clothes which I choose to be appropriate for the season and occasion. Looking hip doesn't even cross my mind. Likewise the whole "hiding weight" thing - honestly, I don't wear capris in order to try to "hide weight" or "disguise" body flaws (which just about everyone has, by the way). But to put your mind at rest, if I had thick lower legs, I might not opt for capris - because one thing capris do showcase is calves, ankles and feet, and if they were more a liability than an asset to me, I'd probably opt not to showcase them in a nice pair of cute capris.

Now to the "18" part - Good lord, surely you don't think any woman over the age of say, 25, WANTS to dress like someone under 18? Unless they're doing undercover work in a high school maybe. I am 56 years old. Dressing attractively is important to me. Dressing in clothes my husband likes makes me feel good. I love my age, love this time in my life. I feel good, I have lots of energy, and frankly, I have expendable income and no kids living at home anymore - WOOHOOO!!!!!! So if I want to put on a cute pair of capris, a pair of fabulous shoes, a sheer flowy top, and a statement necklace or big earrings, tousle my pixie cut (which is it's natural color of salt and pepper, with a lot of salt) and hit the boardwalk, or a plane to Europe, I can and will do so. And looking hip or significantly younger than I really am doesn't come into the picture at all. Why would I want to look younger? I'm not ashamed of my age or my looks. I don't care if someone thinks I'm in my fifties, because, well, I am. And I like it here.

So, you look frumpy in capris. That's OK - I look frumpy in Bermuda shorts. I look particularly frumpy in baseball caps. So guess what - I don't wear them. I don't like them - for myself that is. If other people like them, go for it. But please and thank you - don't wear things you look frumpy in. Do yourself and the world a favor!

Old 02-27-2018, 06:35 PM

664 posts, read 1,029,274 times
Hate them.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Not my favorite but whatever. I might wear a nice fitted pair in the spring depending on the overall look.

I do wonder why anyone would be so triggered by them? Lots of things I don’t care for for myself but I don’t care one bit how other people dress.
Plumber's crack seems triggering to me. Capri pants? Nope.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,667,565 times
I wear them year round. Love them.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:58 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,218,764 times
I don’t care what others think, the issue for me is comfort and my own style that makes me happy. At my age people have all sorts of opinions on hair length, and what an older woman should wear and in the end you can’t please everyone so may as well please myself.

If I see another woman wearing clothes that might seem unflattering I think, yep but it makes her happy and that’s all that counts.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:56 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,076,560 times
Doesn't matter to me if someone else wears capris. Or ankle pants or skinny pants. But at least 50% of us hate those styles and cannot find other options in the stores. Why are retailers ignoring 50% of women? Why not offer some longer pants, lightweight summer pants that aren't baggy but not ankle length or capri length, not jeans just attractive cotton/polyester pants. Not linen either. It's really odd that designers and retailers only carry one trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty