Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,446,409 times

Advertisements

People from snowy countries tend to have lighter hair and skin than people from warm countries. Perhaps love of skiing is handed down in families, and few darker-toned folks have the early exposure needed to become great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What a racist, ugly thread.

Imagine someone commenting on the Summer Olympics sprinters and whining about how there aren't enough blonde haired blue eyed girls competing....same level of ugly thought.

If you find yourself constantly breaking down everything you see in terms of race instead of respecting them individually you have a major problem.
What a knee jerk comment.

LOOK at the photos of the US Winter Olympics team. How many people of color do you see? Brown people? Black people?

It isn't racist, it is just fact.

Will Smith said that when his family skis in Aspen they are easy to find because they are the only black people on the mountain.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:25 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,102,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The figure skaters pretty much have to be hot to have a shot.
Well, if you look at the photos of the current Olympic figure skating team without massive make up, the women look attractive but I would not call them hot:
https://www.teamusa.org/pyeongchang-...m-usa/athletes, scroll to Figure Skating. Women seems to wear lots of make up when on ice; they look completely different then om the photos.

Here is a very good example of Maia Shibutani. With all due respect to her, she looks fairly plain here:
https://www.teamusa.org/us-figure-sk...Maia-Shibutani

On the other hand, she looks completely transformed on ice:
https://www.teamusa.org/us-figure-sk...ibutani#photos

Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,975,574 times
A skilled make-up artist can easily turn the typical "5" into a solid "8"....sometimes better with the right bone structure.

Having been a wedding photographer, I got to document a few transformations. Skin is like a canvas for the artist.

I am surprised that everybody doesn't recognize what make-up can do.

These Olympics? I have no idea. About everything I seen and heard irritated me so I boycotted them. Besides, sports figures have become a little too "self important" for my taste. Being fast and strong is admirable but it doesn't make you a hero in my eyes.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,033,242 times
Idk about them being all blonde but sports like skiing are usually expensive and are more likely to be pursued by a higher earning family. Therefore, it stands to reason that they would be better groomed. It's not that they are super hot, it's that they are in shape and make the most of what they've got.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,033,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What a knee jerk comment.

LOOK at the photos of the US Winter Olympics team. How many people of color do you see? Brown people? Black people?

It isn't racist, it is just fact.

Will Smith said that when his family skis in Aspen they are easy to find because they are the only black people on the mountain.
It's more about money. Poorer people don't have the access to get into skiing, skating, etc. Track only takes a pair of shoes, swimming only takes access to a community pool. If you have raw talent, it's easier to get noticed by a coach in those areas but how can poor people ever know if they'd be great skiers? Plus, these sports aren't usually available in schools. You have to seek it out or have family push you into it.
I think we will see more Asian Americans in the future

Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,310,902 times
I didn't pay much attention to the skiers so can't comment on that. I did watch quite a bit of the figure skaters. Many were quite average in looks. The ones I found most attractive were more exotic looking and most weren't Americans. My favorite to look at was the Tongan flag bearer. Obviously, he is above average in athleticism, but I don't think he would have made the cut if had competed as an American athlete although he was better looking than everyone else.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,060,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Many good looking people come from wealthy parents of course. Lots of money in the skiing snowboarding folks. I live in a wealthy area and people just look much better than in poor neighborhoods. Just the way it is. Skiing isn't a poor person's sport. Never was.
I bet the percentage is MUCH HIGHER than people coming from middle-class/lower-class. Just saying.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:15 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,060,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It's more about money. Poorer people don't have the access to get into skiing, skating, etc. Track only takes a pair of shoes, swimming only takes access to a community pool. If you have raw talent, it's easier to get noticed by a coach in those areas but how can poor people ever know if they'd be great skiers? Plus, these sports aren't usually available in schools. You have to seek it out or have family push you into it.
I think we will see more Asian Americans in the future
This^^ (Mic drop)

Old 02-24-2018, 03:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,525,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
A dark-haired woman beat out that mouthy Vonn in downhill. And that female French ice dancer's face could stop a truck!
Like stop a truck like "wow you are beautiful I just can't drive anymore" or "omg you are ugly I have to run you over"?
Sorry for being dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty