Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:57 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I am buying a winter coat, mid thigh with a hood. What designer has the best coats out there? I need warm!

I am currently running my North face ,water/wind proof 3 way coat. I wanna upgrade.
Many designers produce coats at a variety of price points. The cheapest ones are only about 40% wool, if that, and the rest is synthetic. If you jump up to the next price tier, between around $450 and $600, you get 80% wool. Above that, you can score 100% wool. These are rough guidelines, to give you an idea of how the coat market works. Some of the best price reductions happened about 2-3 weeks in advance of Christmas. Now, if you wait a couple of weeks, you may be able to hit some sale prices that make that middle tier more affordable, if you need a lower-budget warm coat. The more wool content (or alpaca, or whatever), the warmer the coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 12:42 PM

3,866 posts, read 1,805,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Best winter jacket for the money right here:

https://us.hoodlamb.com/collections/fw17-man

Canada Goose is a deplorable company. Please don't support them.

Wild coyotes are caught in steel leg clamps, head-crushing traps, body-gripping traps, or neck snares.

Once caught, these animals can spend days suffering. Some—especially the mothers—even attempt to chew off their own limbs to escape. Their slow deaths can be the result of blood loss, shock, dehydration, frostbite, gangrene, or attacks by predators.

There are many artificial furs out there and thankfully thats why recently historically big fur promoters such as Gucci and Michael Kors have decided to eliminate real fur from their product line.

Plenty of cruelty free options to keep us warm.
Thanks for calling out this company. There is no need for real fur.

Decent brands for a coat LL Bean. Columbia and Landsend. REI should have a good selection.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:03 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,074,621 times
I purchased a ZeroXposur brand jacket (down filled) at Burlington and it's still as good 12 years later (and I wear it every winter). Keeps me toasty warm and washes up very well - and is still in style.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,163,358 times
To catch up on my post...
"Running" with the coat, as in still wearing it for years.

My North face is very warm,even warmer with a wool sweater. But can't help to feel like it's too plain.

I was looking at woolich, and thier designer brand. I did own a "snorkle" from the original/classic line, but feel it was too much. Down filled, just above the knee, and could wear with just a t shirt under it.

I have also owned a shearling, and thenhunters plaid wool jacket. I regret donating those items. I may just bite the bullet, and spend the $550 for another down filled woolich.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:18 PM

31 posts, read 32,037 times
Canada Goose is the best in my opinion

Old 01-06-2018, 03:28 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,251,338 times
Down or full wool coats are best imho. I've got a mid-weight down puffer that kept me warm in the northeast when I visited in December. I wouldn't spend the money on Canada Goose, there are comparable -or even better- jackets for less than CG.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:17 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,664,569 times
I don't know where you live, but when I lived in NJ, I scored a couple of very warm knee-length wool coats for a reasonable price at TJ Maxx. One is black, fitted with a self-belt, so I find it to be stylish. The other is a cobalt blue peacoat-style, and I think the color is cheery when it's gray outside. They're both lined and 100% wool.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
I like Arc'Tyrex for warmth, since I will not buy Canada Goose owing to the reasons outlined above regarding the use of fur. Moncler has hired outside auditors to ensure that the down used in their jackets is cruelty-free, so I still like them, though they are pricey. I don't even trust the alleged fake fur on hoods because that has been shown to be from animals in some cases, mislabeled.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty