Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:50 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,520,368 times

Advertisements

Cortisone cream!

Try just a small dab, and rub in well. Best to apply at night. Use just the OTC stuff, get store's own brand, you will only need a small tube. I found it to really help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 01:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,996,267 times
Avocado oil, olive oil, or even Vaseline. If you want a "real" cuticle oil, I like the Cuccio line.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:15 PM

759 posts, read 3,158,933 times
I second the Qtica. That and Creme Abricot Fortifying Cream For Nails Women by Christian Dior

Old 08-22-2018, 05:23 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,953,234 times
CND Solar Oil. It isn't greasy, and the light cherry-almond fragrance is divine.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,287,911 times
I'll go with just plain coconut oil. Just Google "cuticle oil" and you'll get tons of coconut oil results. I put about a tablespoon of coconut oil in a small bottle and added a few drops of an essential oil (almond) just because. I keep the bottle handy and whenever I see a cuticle problem I just treat it by massaging in some coconut oil. I hit my cuticles every few days anyway (before bed is a good time) and since I started this (a couple weeks ago) all my cuticles are now pretty good all the time. Note that if you have a few dry skin (or scalp) problem areas, a dab of coconut can help that too.

I started this out noting I had a few cuticle problems that I didn't like (cracks, cuticle separations from nails). I Amazoned and I Googled. I discovered that most of the products had simple ingredients. I realized I didn't have to wait for my 2 day Amazon Prime, I could just make it now and use it now. So I did!

By the way, I think there are plenty of oils that will also work fine. Coconut has a nice melting point (76 degrees) which leaves it semi-solid at room temperature, so it isn't as dribbly as olive oil (very low MP). Coconut has a lot of 12- and 14-chain triglycerides, where e.g. olive oil has mostly 18-chain triglycerides. It's important to note that the smaller molecules of coconut penetrate skin pores more easily, so short chain triglyceride oils seem to me to be the best choice.

If you want oils similar to coconut (short chains, small molecules), I recommend two almost identical oils: palm kernel oil and babassu oil. Considering cost and availability it appears coconut is most available.

Just noting that butter with its 4-chain butyric acid is the shortest chain cooking fat (oil) although obviously it has many problems as a body product. It's interesting to note that margarine is marketed as a "butter like spread" because it tastes similar to butter but has a better spreadability at usual 'just out of the fridge' temperatures.

(My moral to this story is to not buy margarine, and take butter out of the fridge before dinner.)

So long story short just get some coconut oil. Add a few drops of an essential oil if you have it. This solution worked perfect for me and now I have no cuticle problems at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty