Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,817,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It's a matter of taste.

I am an English country dancer, and believe me, those classic and nostalgic floral patterned, full-skirted, tight-waisted, scoop necked mid-calf dresses are nothing the Queen would have ever worn past her twenties or early thirties. But they looked great on dancers, who tend to retain slender figures, and "worked" - moved well and were comfortable to wear while dancing, I'm told. Not dowdy at all, but a romantic, nostalgic look that went well with historic dance.

BTW, Laura Ashley had a very popular children's clothing line that certainly was a "young aesthetic". Lots of my friends' young daughters wore Laura Ashley, back in the day.
I loved Laura Ashley back then. The dresses were lovely and flattering (I was tall and slender) and as you said, romantic and I had several. I dressed my daughter in LA too as a baby in toddler and her nursery was done in LA.
There was nothing dowdy about it as I recall. Beautiful fabrics and design. But I think it was meant for young women. It would have looked silly on older women.

Last edited by mistyriver; 12-06-2017 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 AM

12,227 posts, read 21,635,421 times
I’m seeing more 80’s throwbacks every time I go to the store lately, so I find this thread amusing.

Pre-ripped jeans and leggings with stirrups, to name a couple items. I imagine I’ll see the ankle-zipped straight leg Guess jeans I once lived in by next week...

Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,473,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
This isn't 1997. Nobody wears saggy pants anymore.
Haven't been out and about around here, have you?

When not in uniform, I always preferred what I call a classic look:

Low rise boot cut jeans or denim shorts
Tee shirt and/or blue denim or plain cotton work shirt, flannel shirt in cold weather
Birkenstocks, sneakers, moccasins, or boots, depending on what I'm doing
A leather belt, if necessary
Wide brimmed hat
Sunglasses

Have worn that style since the 1960s, and it always fits in.

Only the colors have changed (except the blue denim).

"Fashion" is something I observe for humor's sake. However, I have to say that when it came to just plain tacky, the huge bellbottoms and fake fur vests of the 1960s are on top of that list.

The polyester leisure suits of the 1970s are next, and anything with giant shoulder pads from the 1980s are third.

The skinny jeans and/or leggings of today are fourth. Really, people, if you haven't got the build (as I don't), these aren't a good look for you.

Fifth is anything from any era that looks uncomfortable, or that looks like someone is into the world's oldest profession.

But I save my contempt for the ugly shoes. This decade has seen some spectacularly ugly women's shoes. Eww.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 3,694,605 times
I'm going to a concert in a couple of weeks featuring 80s music. The audience is encouraged to dress appropriate to the era, but I am stumped...what to wear?

I'm thinking a short black lace skirt, lace up peep toe ankle boots and a denim jacket.

For the life me I do not remember anything special about my wardrobe at the time. I wore Kasper suits with big shoulder pads, etc.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:39 PM

4,301 posts, read 6,993,651 times
is it specific to a kind of 80s music? a cross section of popular 80s music? Post-punk, synth pop, late stage hair metal? That might help make a determination. Like any other era, there was a large subset of sub-cultures etc. to pull from. Looking at movies from that time period is a good choice too. Heck, even the NYC punk scene differed in style from the DC punk scene differed from the west coast scene.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:17 AM

23,189 posts, read 26,396,322 times
I can't think of any fad, no matter how stupid it looks now, being worse than wearing your pants so that they look like you forgot to pull them up after a sitting visit to the bathroom.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,375,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I'm going to a concert in a couple of weeks featuring 80s music. The audience is encouraged to dress appropriate to the era, but I am stumped...what to wear?

I'm thinking a short black lace skirt, lace up peep toe ankle boots and a denim jacket.

For the life me I do not remember anything special about my wardrobe at the time. I wore Kasper suits with big shoulder pads, etc.
If you want to go for the "boy toy" Madonna look, try a full skirt, slinky top, sheer black hose with high heeled lace up boots, several strings of beads and large emblem necklaces around your neck, big hair, natural (thick, even) eyebrows, black eyeliner, and huge, chunky earrings.

If you are looking for the mall rat look, a stone washed mini skirt (good luck finding one!), neon t-shirt underneath a denim jacket, thick bobby socks with high top Reeboks (again, good luck finding them), huge, chunky earrings, and impossibly huge hair, preferably with a scrunchy or two worked in there somewhere.

I remember '80s fashions vividly and with some nostalgia because it takes me back to a time when I was young and carefree and the only thing I worried about was if my McDonald's paycheck was going to be enough to buy the Stray Cats' latest record. LOL.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,242,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post

The skinny jeans and/or leggings of today are fourth. Really, people, if you haven't got the build (as I don't), these aren't a good look for you.

Eww.
Leggings and skinny jeans are number one on my all time list of fashion atrocities. Almost nobody has the build for them. Leggings aren't pants, they're meant to be worn under a tunic, but that doesn't stop people from wearing them as substitutes for pants. Skinny jeans combined with everyone's habit of wearing their clothing two sizes too small results in the "I'm about to burst out of my sausage casings" look.

On a chilly morning in the south recently, I saw quite a few young women out walking around in their skinny jeans or leggings, flats and bare feet (because socks look ridiculous with those things). They looked cold and uncomfortable, talk about being a fashion victim.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,143,428 times
I bet most of us have been a fashion victim at least a time or two. :-)

Old 12-14-2017, 09:21 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,653,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I bet most of us have been a fashion victim at least a time or two. :-)

So true, just found a photo of me in a leisure suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty