Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM

666 posts, read 513,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I LOVE that pic of the late Liz Taylor! She was having fun! What is it hurting anybody for a woman to walk around in hot pants? She's been through all the ups and downs of life, she should be able to finally do what the hell she wants!
She wasn't "having fun." She was having a midlife crisis trying to look more than half her age wearing what all the kids were wearing. She looked like a goofball.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
p.s. Openwork fishnets AREN'T straight outta those places? Not to mention Hot Topic, Rebel Circus and Dolls Kill...?

Huh?

Fishnet stockings were a mature look back in the day, associated more with lingerie and sexy clothing than anything else. It's not until recently that it became more youth oriented. If you're over the age of 40, you're familiar with Frederick's of Hollywood, garter belts and boudoir photos to know that is the case, so why pretend otherwise? Why make this intellectually dishonest argument that because teeny boppers are claiming fishnets today in 2018, that means back in 1983, they were a teeny bopper fashion then?

(BTW, as a side note, the reason why teeny bopper fashions now incorporate fishnets is that we're sexualizing young women at a younger and younger age. So with each passing year, designers keep incorporating lingerie, boudoir, etc. into junior and miss fashion lines. But this is a whole other topic altogether.)

And all of this, anyway, is to deflect from what I was saying. Tina Turner is wearing a revealing outfit, but the cut of the outfit and the color is a mature look that was very different from what the "kids" (Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, etc.) were wearing at that time. So it was revealing, but appropriate in her case. When older women try to dress in revealing clothes that's age appropriate, that's fine but when they're wearing styles meant for a younger demographic, it's not; it looks sad, pathetic and desperate, like they're trying to cling to their youth and are afraid of embracing their maturity.

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 02-09-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Love this! Don't forget the boots!
Hells yeah.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
She wasn't "having fun." She was having a midlife crisis trying to look more than half her age wearing what all the kids were wearing. She looked like a goofball.
Oh MY.

This...really just bothers you so much.

P.s. "Intellectual dishonesty" about pantyhose...FTW...that totally wins the internet today. Oh the humanity...

Last edited by JerZ; 02-09-2018 at 11:44 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 05:36 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Liz's 'hot pants'??
They look like regular and fairly modest shorts to me.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Oh MY.

This...really just bothers you so much.
Nothing bothers me. I'm just giving an opinion to someone's topic. You're the one that's flipping out making multiple insane rants, exposing your life history on a forum to strangers and then babbling about what you're going to wear to show everybody up.

This is just another forum topic to me. For you, not so much.

I don't know what you're so freaked out about. No one here is going to take away your right to dress like women old enough to be your granddaughter. You want to embrace your maturity by dressing in outfits worn by the Iggy Azalea, Rihanna, 20 something year old Instagram set, go right ahead. Wear bare midriffs, booty shorts, whatever you like.

Quote:
P.s. "Intellectual dishonesty" about pantyhose...FTW...that totally wins the internet today. Oh the humanity...
It's just a polite, mature way of not calling you out for pretending like you didn't know that fishnets worn by young girls is only a recent thing. But if you want me to "dumb down" my language to your level of mental and emotional maturity (or lack thereof), I will. In other words, I won't talk to you like the middle-aged people that we are but talk down to you like the 25 year old that you desperately want to be.

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 02-10-2018 at 07:45 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Liz's 'hot pants'??
They look like regular and fairly modest shorts to me.
They were hot pants. Of course today they would be considered modest but they were hot pants.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is tacky. We are all judged everyday, if you are comfortable with your appearance that is all that matters. It’s not like people usually tell us what they are thinking! Iwon’t Apologize for judging other’s fashion sense. I judge them in my mind, I don’t walk up to them and say, “I think you look ridiculous”. They are my thoughts and mine alone. And, there is nothing wrong with that. Chill out folks.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Movie and TV stars are a different matter. They try to get attention from their public. I don't question what they wear at all. They are in the media!!! They are LOOKING for attention.

But somebody 65 years old at Publics dressed like a 20 year old looks silly to me. I don't "worry" about it or even "care." I just think they look ridiculous!!!

Old 02-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is tacky. We are all judged everyday, if you are comfortable with your appearance that is all that matters. It’s not like people usually tell us what they are thinking! Iwon’t Apologize for judging other’s fashion sense. I judge them in my mind, I don’t walk up to them and say, “I think you look ridiculous”. They are my thoughts and mine alone. And, there is nothing wrong with that. Chill out folks.
Yup! Logical and reasonable. And devoid of catty jealousy. Very calmly stated, thank you.

People will judge; we just do. In fact, the fact that we will judge is all the more reason to wear what one wishes, as no matter what we do, there will be a critic somewhere. It is futile to try to please everyone. (And boring. )

So ladies, realize if you are judged, it is not that you committed some crime. It is that it is human nature to judge. Wear what makes you happy at this point in life; you've earned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty