Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times

Advertisements

Went to a gathering and a lady was there with those low waisted jeans. She looked foolish because she was just too heavy for that style. My point is this, if you think you would like to wear the latest style. Try it on and LOOK IN A MIRROR. Don't embarrass yourself.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
At the heart of this 'controversy' is the lingering sentiment that women outlive their sexual usefulness (and perhaps all usefulness in the eyes of some men) after childbearing age passes. So no one wants to be reminded of their existence. Certainly not in a sexual way.

Same reason very few movies with actresses over 40 as the lead.

Or, as I've reminded my husband, there are three sexes: males, females, and old females.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Whatever she's comfortable in, it's no never-mind to me. I might have some pre-conceptions or judgements to make to myself, but I sure wouldn't be giving them nasty looks or accosting them for inappropriate attire. If they are 40-50 years old, they aren't about to take advice from some outraged 20-something who finds a "hot mama" distasteful. I usually find that women who dress that way after a 'certain age' are fighting aging tooth and nail and trying to stay fashionable.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:31 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,169 times
If you don't like it, don't look!

Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
Long ago in a workplace far away, I was talking with one of the front office secretaries. Point of discussion was the department narcissistic psychopath, who'd told the attractive and well-shaped secretary that "you shouldn't wear short dresses after 40."

Well, of course narcissistic psychopaths know everything so I guess that's true.

I will say when we lived in Idaho, I was quite surprised to see some pretty attractive women obviously in their 50s and 60s strutting their stuff. It didn't seem inappropriate, considering.

OTOH, there was a time in our nation when women, and men, who were not so hot up there in the top 10% or even top 20% of attractive, knew it and did not wear skin tight stuff, short short skirts, blubber-baring tops, etc. Now there is no end of disgusting walruses showing off almost everything. So be it, it's a free country. And I'm free to when I see it.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I get what you are saying and would prefer to see beauty, rather than whatever.

From a feminist standpoint, of course, anyone can wear whatever they want.

The problem is that it might not look great - and that is a fact.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 PM

993 posts, read 766,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Earlier today I was doing some shopping and running some errands. When I was checking out there was a woman in front of me that was probably 40-45 but she was wearing a very low-cut top and booty shorts. Granted, she seemed to be in shape and good for her age, but nevertheless, after a certain age is it really appropriate for women to be wearing very skimpy/revealing things? Say about 35 but 40 at the latest?
I think dressing in that get up in a shopping mall can look vulgar at any age....I dont care how great a woman's body is. On a beach, at the pool? Fine

I believe women look sexier when they leave a little to the imagination. I didn't believe that as a teen when I ran around in halter tops and short shorts. Hah! But I do now. I've become my grandmother.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I am not a fan of booty shorts on anyone. I don't think they are appropriate beyond the beach, pool or gym. Age, looks - it doesn't matter. They also seem imoractical. But I am cinservative in that way.

But policing "old" women's clothing - that's gotta go.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I saw a lady of ambiguous age, somewhere north of 50, today (#blackdontcrack) in the best outfit. I was jealous. she had in a top that was sort of a motorcycle jacket fashioned into an off the shoulder top, skinny jeans, and silver ankle heeled boots. Her outfit was amazing and she looked great! I wanted to steal her shoes.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:49 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
No, it is not our business. But, it is also rather hard to go to populated places and function there, same trying to avoid seeing ugliness exposed in various forms. And be it noted, I am not referring to this particular female, which I am actually questioning, why she was considered "older".
I am referring to in your face ugliness, tasteless, vulgar, obvious. Plenty places where you can't even look around without having your sense of taste offended with it.
And yet, is is "expressing thyself', "being free", "showing your individuality" and so on. Topped with "tolerance" and "political correctness".
Ugly is ugly, no matter how elastic are tights you wear. No matter how low cut is your top. No matter how much you paid for tattoos on that flabby skin hanging down everywhere. No matter how much shiny stuff you have hanging on you. no matter how large is PINK on your buttocks.
it's ugly. It's offensive to others.
But. It's not your business, right?
Of course we all find things attractive and unattractive. And I "dis" certain styles of clothing and such all the time. But this is a quite ugly rant about people's actual physical attractiveness.

I find some people "unattractive," of course. I don't find people who are unattractive to me to be "offensive," though. Not by any means.

How unkind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.