Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,956 times

Advertisements

I had it done once and I felt like a clown. Foundation caked on, dark blush, heavy eye liner and a bright red lip. It was awful. The only part that looked decent was the eye shadow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 07:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My friend used to go get her makeup done at department stores before dates and events. :P
Going and having them do your makeup for free, knowing you have no intention whatsoever of buying anything, is just as rude as going to a restaurant and wasting the server's time by taking up a table, getting only water, and leaving no tip.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Going and having them do your makeup for free, knowing you have no intention whatsoever of buying anything, is just as rude as going to a restaurant and wasting the server's time by taking up a table, getting only water, and leaving no tip.
I think it depends. Many people go window shopping and try stuff out.

I don't think you need to buy every time you go to the makeup counter. You are allowed to try. And you should purchase from that person when you are ready to buy.

You should not get your makeup done without intentions during the peak times of day.

But if you come in on Tuesday at 4 when the store is empty? I am sure the sales associate is happy for the distraction.

I have been accosted by bored makeup counter workers many times who just want to pass the time and try something new - no obligation.

If you try all the time, then go buy at Amazon? Well that is is rude!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
I had Crowley's do my make-up for my 20th HS Class reunion. I wasn't impressed and could have done a better job myself.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it depends. Many people go window shopping and try stuff out.

I don't think you need to buy every time you go to the makeup counter. You are allowed to try. And you should purchase from that person when you are ready to buy.

You should not get your makeup done without intentions during the peak times of day.

But if you come in on Tuesday at 4 when the store is empty? I am sure the sales associate is happy for the distraction.

I have been accosted by bored makeup counter workers many times who just want to pass the time and try something new - no obligation.

If you try all the time, then go buy at Amazon? Well that is is rude!
I don't mean people who don't buy that day. I mean people who know they will never buy, ever, and are just wasting the salesperson's time. If you go, they offer, you make it absolutely clear that you have no intention of buying in the foreseeable future, and they still want to do your makeup because they are bored, that's different.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:35 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
I did it in a major department store that no longer exists, at the Clinique counter.

This was years ago. I never tried it again because she made me look like a clown. I was traumatized for life.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:02 AM

604 posts, read 840,344 times
I've had eye makeup done at Sephora and Ulta and found it very helpful. As I've gotten older I look like I don't have any eyes without eye makeup. Both makeup artists did a good job but were a little heavy handed. So I took what they did and adapted a bit. I did buy some Urban Decay shadows and primer and love them. I use neutral shades and don't look too made up. Eye shadow works great as a liner and doesn't look harsh. Eyeliner can look harsh on my light colored eyes. I only wear eye makeup and sometimes wear a CC cream for foundation.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
I do it and like it. But I am vocal about my preferances and so typically I like the results.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I have had mine done at Sephora. Some of it was wonderful but they gave me Andy Rooney eyebrows! Every time I looked at myself all I could see was the eyebrows.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:11 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,651,571 times
I had my done at Sephora. I like Sephora because they sell so many different product lines so the sales associates aren't biased towards one that may not be the best one for me. I was only required to buy a minimum of $50.00 purchase. The woman who did it had great advice about products and techniques and wasn't pushy about my buying any products I wasn't sure were right for me. I did it two years ago and am still buying several of the products she used on my makeover. Of course, I had to do a selfie or two and will go back for another one before scheduling any updated social media headshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty