Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 02:50 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,785,536 times

Advertisements

Remember, at one point, 'The Great Folk' used to wear white linen suits, and voluminous white dresses/pantaloons/bonnets, during summers. This was necessary, because all that hot clothing got sweated-up, quickly. The legendary 'Beauty Hauff Boyd', a fabulously-wealthy member of Mississippi's 'Third-floor Ballroom Class' (people who had ballrooms on the third floors of their mansions), used to bathe and change clothes, three times a day, during that state's endless and deadly-hot summers. Those clothes all had to be boiled and ironed. Obviously, white clothes were the only ones which could withstand such treatment.

Miss Mary Key, a beloved educator, remembered the remaining member of Belmont Mansion's Worthington family (History of Belmont Plantation Established 1857), still, in the 1920s, wearing white linen suits, in summer. (The famous Rosarian/Nurseryman Thomas Affleck 'Thomas Affleck' is a natural for Texas rose lovers - Houston Chronicle , ancestor of actor Ben, had his first nurseries a mile or so behind Belmont, and kept the River Road mansions stocked with blossoming exotics)

In summers, before the Civil War, the South's Great Folk frequented the beach and mountain communities of the North. They were emulated at Saratoga, Newport, and Southampton. White for summer, became the standard, not only in the horrible climates of the American South, India, and Latin America, but throughout the Western World.

Egalitarianism (thus the disappearance of the servants required for all that washing and ironing) and electric fans, caused changes in fashion. Yet, somehow, the writers of the books of rules, the books used by new money and immigrants, for assimilation into genteel circles, still (needing SOMETHING to write down - otherwise they'd have empty books) kept right on writing about "white clothes", oblivious to the fact that the original CUSTOM had to do with RESORT WEAR/summer clothing. The rule became ridiculously simplistic, and obviously should not have applied to layers of clothing (such as men's dress shirts) which are most practical - and most flattering - in sparkling white-white, regardless of the season.

I LOVE wearing white cable-knit silk and cotton sweaters in spring and fall. I LOVE my white angora sweaters and sweater-dresses, in the dead of winter. White is my celebratory color, and I'm feeling extra-frisky, when it's cold. I love white corduroy jeans, with white sneakers, in January.

So really, I'd love to tell the writers of that rule, where they can stick it.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-05-2017 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,170,524 times
I only ever knew one woman who liked and stuck by this 'rule' but she was also the type of person to carefully match her eye shadow, lipstick, handbag, earrings, shoes and hair accessories to the point where she looked like a Sears-decorated living room.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:57 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Here in California (even up north), we don't follow any stinkin' clothing rules! In San Francisco people wear black year-round, since it's cold year-round; and the idea of "dressing for dinner" is a foreign concept. The only times I've EVER had to follow a dress code were at my dad's old Country Club, where they didn't allow any jeans. So yeah, if you wanna wear white after Labor Day, nobody here would stop you.

I actually tried to explain this rule to my ESL class last week, since we were discussing US Labor Day - and they thought it was kind of weird. Btw, have you seen the movie "Serial Mom?" It's based on a true story, and at the end, she (the mom-turned-serial killer) murders someone for wearing white shoes after Labor Day. I also told my class about that, and they were writing it down to borrow later.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in place View Post
You are talking to a generation that thinks "getting dressed up" means a Tee Shirt with no obscenities written on the front.
THANK you!

Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 AM

554 posts, read 624,192 times
No, wear whatever you want to wear. If it is still warm and you want to wear your white skirts wear them.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,923,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in place View Post
You are talking to a generation that thinks "getting dressed up" means a Tee Shirt with no obscenities written on the front.
If you're going to generalize, you could go the other way around and point out that many in the generation before us thinks 'getting dressed up' means throwing on an ill-fitting blazer or suits or that simply throwing on khaki chinos and an oversized golf polo with bacon collar is nice business casual.

I like style, clothes, and fashion, hence why I read this forum. That being said, I think certain rules are silly, this being one of them. And the un-related snobbery of a post like this doesn't make it any more valid.

Last edited by Sunbather; 09-06-2017 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty