Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
For all:

Do you share a sink/vanity space with another person?

Do you think your personal grooming supplies amount to more than average, about average, or less than average?

How often do you clean out your bathroom vanity? Do expired/unused items collect there?
I share with my husband. We have no problems sharing one sink.

I have more than I should...maybe not so bad for a woman. I have a lot more "stuff" than my husband does.

I like to organize so I go through the house multiple times a year. The bathroom I go through every month or so. I check expirations on a yearly basis...or so. I throw out "most" expired things. Right now I don't have anything that is expired in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 12:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I share with my husband. We have no problems sharing one sink.

I have more than I should...maybe not so bad for a woman. I have a lot more "stuff" than my husband does.

I like to organize so I go through the house multiple times a year. The bathroom I go through every month or so. I check expirations on a yearly basis...or so. I throw out "most" expired things. Right now I don't have anything that is expired in the house.
I felt good about thngs until I opened the hall closet. Took an hour, but I culled the collection of health & beauty supplies that had collected there. My daughter is leaving for college in a few days. I think this has inspired me to sort through things now that she has packed what she needs for school. My youngest is a boy, so he has very little other than deodorant, toothbrush, and razor.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:25 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,103 times
Just me at the moment, but in talks with the BF to have him move in. However, he'll just add his contact, toothbrush, deodorant and cologne.

However, in my bathroom:

Medicine Cabinet: aspirins, allergy meds, contact solution (not mine, BFs), nail polish remover, nail files, clippers, and random polishes for in between manicures, toothpaste, my deodarant, all my skin care (PS50 1970, eye cream, day and night moisturizers, Vitamin C serum, tea tree oil, retinol, masks, etc) my Olaplex, bandaids, neosporin, other first aid things.

In my drawers: combs, makeup, false lashes, curling irons, hairdryer, I also keep my Sephora Play Box samples in one drawer, razors

Under sink: some toilet paper, clorox wipes, windex, bath supplies (bombs,etc), a few storage boxes, and my travel bag

Tub: Soap, body wash, two hair masks, 4 types of shampoo, conditioner

I have a hall closet, but it's only for linens, additional cleaning supplies, my tools, and additional toilet paper and paper towels.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Wow. I was picturing the vanity piece of a bedroom set. I had an answer for that.

I cannot stand to have anything on the bathroom sink. AT.ALL. Hand soap. Maybe a sea shell. But no. Mr. Other half wants all his crap on there. I compromised and gave him the top drawer and his razor is on the counter plugged in. I have two antique dishes with his shaving cream/razor in one and nail clippers/tweezers in the other. And a pottery cup with q-tips and floss thingies.
Drives. me. crazy.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:10 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:
Do you have any wall space? We built a floor to ceiling cabinet using half a closet door so you can make one anywhere from 12-18 inches wide.
There is no wall space to allow that. I would LOVE to have one of those cabinets. The man who built this house was a bachelor on a budget, and it sure shows. The kitchen is the one we really have issues with. But... We bought it on a lease-option-to-buy, and it will be paid off in September. As flawed as it is, it's ours.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
There is no wall space to allow that. I would LOVE to have one of those cabinets. The man who built this house was a bachelor on a budget, and it sure shows. The kitchen is the one we really have issues with. But... We bought it on a lease-option-to-buy, and it will be paid off in September. As flawed as it is, it's ours.

Congrats on owning it You know there is a way to build shelving in between wall studs. There are 2x4 studs behind your walls or at least there should be. Anyway if you can find the studs you can cut out the drywall to any size you want inside those studs. Then you build a box like we did but use luan(very lightweight board) on the back and fit it inside the wall. Make a frame and you have shelves inside your walls. This will work unless you have concrete walls. We had that in one flip house and it was awful.

Like this:

https://www.effierow.com/creating/sm...een-the-studs/

Home and Garden DIY Ideas, Photos and Answers | Hometalk

Old 08-12-2017, 05:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Congrats on owning it You know there is a way to build shelving in between wall studs. There are 2x4 studs behind your walls or at least there should be. Anyway if you can find the studs you can cut out the drywall to any size you want inside those studs. Then you build a box like we did but use luan(very lightweight board) on the back and fit it inside the wall. Make a frame and you have shelves inside your walls. This will work unless you have concrete walls. We had that in one flip house and it was awful.

Like this:

https://www.effierow.com/creating/sm...een-the-studs/

Home and Garden DIY Ideas, Photos and Answers | Hometalk

My dear ylisa7 we are going to have to start calling you Mrs

fix it or Mrs build it LOL . I wish I knew as much as you did about construction and stuff .

Old 08-12-2017, 07:45 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
What vanity?

And it doesn't take that much to "store" toothpaste and deodorant, a soap pump, and the few medications I need. Shampoo is on the side of the tub. Nothing else needs to be in the bathroom.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
What vanity?

And it doesn't take that much to "store" toothpaste and deodorant, a soap pump, and the few medications I need. Shampoo is on the side of the tub. Nothing else needs to be in the bathroom.
For the purposes of this thread, a vanity is a counter surrounding the sink and the under sink cabinet. If you have a free-standing pedestal sink, obviously this would not apply to you. I was just interested in learning about what other people consider their essentials and where they store them in their bathrooms.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:09 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
When I was redoing the bathroom I took out the medicine cabinet and replaced it with a mirrored jewelry box. The front doors open with space for toothbrushes. FYI I took out the velvet lining in the drawers and relined them with contact paper that can be wiped down.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you keep in/on your vanity?-new-master-bath-vanity.gif   What do you keep in/on your vanity?-20170812_145447.jpg   What do you keep in/on your vanity?-20170812_145253.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty